An article on the IEC website that is NSFW?

Hilarious!!! +100000

Do you remember also having to carry phone plug adapters with you when we had to dial into to get our emails?

Thankfully ethernet is a worldwide standard connector.

Hilarious!!! +100000

Do you remember also having to carry phone plug adapters with you when we had to dial into to get our emails?

Thankfully ethernet is a worldwide standard connector.

I still have my collection of phone adapters. And power adapters. And currency (I've still got some Francs & Marks somewhere....) My "phone kit" has a couple of clip leads for use in places like Geneva where they didn't have plug/jack arrangements (yeah, that dates me).... Something symbolic about attending standards sessions yet not having a standard set of plugs.

Great article....

I carried phone adapters, but surprisingly enough never really had to use them. Must have traveled to the right hotels. :D

Power adapters? I've got a kit of detachable cord sets under my desk that will cover most of the world. Made an adapter to convert any of them to a US grounded receptacle. And I have three cords that don't need the conversion - continental Europe, UK and OZ/NZ (works in the PRC, too). The advantage of this approach is not only do they adapt the plugs, they give me an extra 6 feet of cord, something that can be priceless in some meeting rooms.

I have been seeing universal sockets being used in meeting a lot lately. That is a nice addition. I still need a plug adapter in the hotel room though. With my travel I pretty much get away with a Euro plug adapter and cutting the ground lead off of my US cord.

With my travel I pretty much get away with a Euro plug adapter and cutting the ground lead off of my US cord.

Wish that worked in the UK.... I"ve done the same as you for stuff on the continent, although my Netbook uses an ungrounded cable.

Some of the major hotel chains catering to US business folks have installed multiple sockets in the rooms. On my recent trip to Prague and Budapest, both Marriott rooms had US-style outlets on the desk.

Wish that worked in the UK..
It does, you jsut have to know the trick.

I learned when I lived in the UK that what you do is stick a pen or pencil into the ground receptacle. That lifts the plastic out of the way on the hot and neutral receptacles and the euro plug just slips in.

What's wrong with nails and alligator clips??? Instant universal plug :D

Back