An alien newbie

tfmann

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Yes folks, I'm from another world, Australia, so I hope you dont mind me crashing your forum. It seems all the intelligent life is dissapearing from Usenet and moderation is the way to go. Just to introduce myself I am a PPL holder and fly rented 152 or 172 out of a little strip called Barwon Heads on the SE coast of Australia. I am slowly working towards a CPL for no other reason than I like to have a goal to keep aiming for to help me become a better pilot. I am probably a bit long in the tooth ( 47) to make a career out of it, at least one that would allow me to live in the comfort I am accustomed to. I had my first couple of lessons in 1983 then like many on this forum other things got in the way before I started to learn seriously in 2000 as a 40 year old. Now nothing can stop me!
Terry

So what, you are about 12 hours (ahead?) different from many of US (no pun in 10 did)...

Welcome!

Terry, Welcome to PoA.

You're the second from Oz this week. I saw where Kevin Black of Canberra signed up a couple days ago.

Welcome to the board. I hope we treat you as well as my wife and I were treated when we visted Australia last September. As in, when can we go back?

So what, you are about 12 hours (ahead?) different from many of US (no pun in 10 did)...

Welcome!

Listen, if you're 12 hours ahead, could you let us know what stocks are going to be like tomorrow please? :rofl:

Welcome to PoA!

Welcome Terry ! Glad we have someone from down under now that Henning moved back to the states we had no one there. We now have members in the US, Israel and Australia. As Yogi Bera would say we have members from three different halves of the planet;)

Terry, Welcome to PoA.

You're the second from Oz this week. I saw where Kevin Black of Canberra signed up a couple days ago.

Well, Kevin aside, there aint much intelligent life in Canberra either, but thats one for the spin zone :)

thanks for the welcome

Well, Kevin aside, there aint much intelligent life in Canberra either, but thats one for the spin zone :)

thanks for the welcome
Hey, I saw the send-off y'all give to loaded Russian jets. :)

Listen, if you're 12 hours ahead, could you let us know what stocks are going to be like tomorrow please? :rofl:

Welcome to PoA!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not much into stocks but I can tell you oils up and the dollars down,
does that help? :)

Welcome to the board. I hope we treat you as well as my wife and I were treated when we visted Australia last September. As in, when can we go back?

Thanks Ghery, likewise I have nothing but great memories from the trip my wife and I did to the states ( 32 of them !) back in 85. You're welcome back any time, we'll chuck another shrimp on the barbie for you :D

Welcome Terry ! Glad we have someone from down under now that Henning moved back to the states we had no one there. We now have members in the US, Israel and Australia. As Yogi Bera would say we have members from three different halves of the planet;)

Thats the second time already I have heard the name Henning on here, obviously a legend ? or just smaaaarrrrrter than the average pilot?

Thats the second time already I have heard the name Henning on here, obviously a legend ? or just smaaaarrrrrter than the average pilot?

He's quite famous. Or infamous, depending upon who you ask, I suppose.

Hey, I saw the send-off y'all give to loaded Russian jets. :)

I guess you are referring to that video going around of a Russian cargo plane taking off from Canberra and using every last inch of the runway?

I guess you are referring to that video going around of a Russian cargo plane taking off from Canberra and using every last inch of the runway?
That's the one. I traded messages with the controller a couple times when he first put it on Youtube. I would have loved to know more about that flight as far as how heavy he was in relation to MTOW and minimum runway recommended versus a balanced field.

No matter how ya dice it, the dust stirred up at the end was a eye opener.

Yes folks, I'm from another world, Australia, so I hope you dont mind me crashing your forum. It seems all the intelligent life is dissapearing from Usenet and moderation is the way to go. Just to introduce myself I am a PPL holder and fly rented 152 or 172 out of a little strip called Barwon Heads on the SE coast of Australia.

I'm sorry. I lived in Ringwood for a bit, then got semi sane and moved to Brissie, then the rest of the drugs wore off and I came back to Ft Lauderdale. Did you do your checkride with Barry Foster out of Leongatha?

I'm sorry. I lived in Ringwood for a bit, then got semi sane and moved to Brissie, then the rest of the drugs wore off and I came back to Ft Lauderdale. Did you do your checkride with Barry Foster out of Leongatha?

Nah, did all my training with Peter Dow's TVSA at Bachus Marsh, great people there, but got tired of the drive from Geelong so I joined Geelong Aero Club at Barwon Heads.

Welcome to POA, Terry! I spent a week in Perth back in the early 80s, compliments of the US Navy - only place I've been outside the US that I would have considered making my home ...

G'day, mate. Welcome. We need more Antipodeans on the board!!

Welcome to POA, Terry! I spent a week in Perth back in the early 80s, compliments of the US Navy - only place I've been outside the US that I would have considered making my home ...

You shoulda come to Melbourne, Perth is like your wild west, there are still cannibals over there! :)
thanks for the welcome

You shoulda come to Melbourne, Perth is like your wild west, there are still cannibals over there! :)
thanks for the welcome
I still have not been to OZ. All of my OZ trips and my NZ trips get canceled. SIGH!

Closet I have been is Surabaya. I used to spend a ton of time in Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei. But the past few years mostly up in the People's paradise and Europe. One of my co-workers moved to Melbourne almost 10 years ago and he now is an Australian citizen he loves it there so much. My cousin worked in Melbourne and loved it too. He is planning on retiring there in about another 15 years.

Well, Scott, you've got a lot to look forward to when you do get there. Sydney is a great city and you'll love diving on the Great Barrier Reef.

Attachments

• DSC02593edited.jpg
    DSC02593edited.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • DSC03019edited.jpg
    DSC03019edited.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Terry, welcome to our little corner of the 'Net... it's a nice neighborhood (neighbourhood).

I have an Aussie sister- lives in Adelaide. Perhaps one day, I shall travel down-under again...

Best,

/s/ Spike

I think we have at least one Kiwi, too. And we'll count Felix "hollywood" as being from Germany :) and let's put Barry down as Canadian.

Welcome, Terry!

Don't forget Alaska, now all four corners are covered :cheerswine:

Yes folks, I'm from another world, Australia, so I hope you dont mind me crashing your forum.

Not at all! Welcome to you and Cristoph and anyone else who makes it here who isn't a pilot "of America"! :D I think that's probably just the first thing that came to mind when the site started because most of us who've been here for the whole existence of PoA came from the old AOPA (USA) board.

We sure like to complain about the price of 100LL around here ($5.44/gal at the home drome right now), but compared to the rest of the world, flying's cheap and easy here! I hope to hear lots of stories about how it's different in the rest of the world. :yes:

Not at all! Welcome to you and Cristoph and anyone else who makes it here who isn't a pilot "of America"! :D I think that's probably just the first thing that came to mind when the site started because most of us who've been here for the whole existence of PoA came from the old AOPA (USA) board.

We sure like to complain about the price of 100LL around here ($5.44/gal at the home drome right now), but compared to the rest of the world, flying's cheap and easy here! I hope to hear lots of stories about how it's different in the rest of the world. :yes:
Maybe we should rename the site to Pilots oft he World, PoW! :) I agree with Kent, ALL are welcome here, as long as they don't TRULY "crash" the site! :no:

thanks for the welcome

We were there is Ianuary 2003 quite a nice City and area.

I was hoping for a ride or at least pictures of an alien space ship. I guess it looks like a 747 with a Roo painted it?

edit to include picture correctly.

MelbPanSmall.JPG

Last edited:
Back