Amusing iphone bug

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
As you can see I'm outside, there's snow on the ground, and it's quite cold out. Iphone says it's too hot.

Strange as I've had it in much colder weather with no problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    794.9 KB · Views: 122
Next day it was down to single digits and I got the same thing on the ipad. This is after having been outside for over an hour... devices were ice cold.

This is weird because I have a gps app I use when I go snowmobiling and I put the phone in a mount right up on the handlebars where it gets as cold or colder and I've never seen this issue. I think it has to be something in one of the recent software updates.

I have heard you can stand on your ipad and it will give read out your weight.:yes:

Next day it was down to single digits and I got the same thing on the ipad. This is after having been outside for over an hour... devices were ice cold.

This is weird because I have a gps app I use when I go snowmobiling and I put the phone in a mount right up on the handlebars where it gets as cold or colder and I've never seen this issue. I think it has to be something in one of the recent software updates.

It probably is measuring the differential temp between the shell/heat sink and the core. The extra cold is creating a higher differential. Does it go away if you stick it in a pocket next to your body?

Henning,

That's an interesting theory. Why would they want to measure the differential temp? IMO the core temp is the reason for monitoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henning,

That's an interesting theory. Why would they want to measure the differential temp? IMO the core temp is the reason for monitoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea what they are thinking in the design of the system. It may be a predictive system and if it sees a rise in the differential of the heat, it thinks the sink cannot keep up with needs and initiates the protection before damage is done.:dunno:

With the release of iOS 8, many iPad owners are strongly considering that app ...

Huh. Sales numbers don't seem to agree. Mine are all working as designed here after 8.1.1.

It probably is measuring the differential temp between the shell/heat sink and the core. The extra cold is creating a higher differential. Does it go away if you stick it in a pocket next to your body?

Nope. No sensor touches the case from the main board, which is clearly seen in photos. You can take the case off of yours if you're bored and check.

I have no idea what they are thinking in the design of the system. It may be a predictive system and if it sees a rise in the differential of the heat, it thinks the sink cannot keep up with needs and initiates the protection before damage is done.:dunno:

No. Go with most likely. No one bothers to write that much code into a safety system for a phone.

Sensor on processor is set to shut down the OS outside of manufacturer's spec sheet range for the die.

Sensor in battery compartment set to
do the same thing since they've had battery fires.

Ranges are different on each.

Cold and hot weigh equally on the firmware code.

Done.

Nothing all that exciting to see here.

Certainly no goofy predictive code.

Maybe a little sensor data smoothing since it's an A/D, but they probably use a sensor that does all of that for them.

No I tried that. It went away after taking it inside for about 5-10 minutes.

No. Go with most likely. No one bothers to write that much code into a safety system for a phone.

Sensor on processor is set to shut down the OS outside of manufacturer's spec sheet range for the die.

Sensor in battery compartment set to
do the same thing since they've had battery fires.

Ranges are different on each.

Cold and hot weigh equally on the firmware code.

Done.

Nothing all that exciting to see here.

Certainly no goofy predictive code.

Maybe a little sensor data smoothing since it's an A/D, but they probably use a sensor that does all of that for them.

That sounds likely. However, I've used the same exact phone in colder conditions in previous years so I suspect it's a recent change in their software.

Back