Amputation SODA

Elemental Chase

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Elemental Chase
Hi all, on May 22nd i was flying my Cessna 140 and it quit on me at 200 feet after takeoff. It was a bad accident and I ended up needed to have my right foot amputated. I knew in the hospital I was going to need a statement of demonstrated ability, but am not sure which route to take to get it. I havent been able to talk to anyone that has gone through something like this and I cant seem to find a set way to pursue a SODA. I cant wait to get back to chasing my dream. As soon as I get my prosthetic I am going to get into a simulator to knock some rust off and figure out how it is going to be different. For those that may ask, I am a CFI/II and also have my multi commercial license. Thank you all for your help!

Hi all, on May 22nd i was flying my Cessna 140 and it quit on me at 200 feet after takeoff. It was a bad accident and I ended up needed to have my right foot amputated. I knew in the hospital I was going to need a statement of demonstrated ability, but am not sure which route to take to get it. I havent been able to talk to anyone that has gone through something like this and I cant seem to find a set way to pursue a SODA. I cant wait to get back to chasing my dream. As soon as I get my prosthetic I am going to get into a simulator to knock some rust off and figure out how it is going to be different. For those that may ask, I am a CFI/II and also have my multi commercial license. Thank you all for your help!

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/amputee-pilot.108221/#post-2441359

#1 AME sends paperwork to OKC asking for medical flight eval.
#2 You and AME receive letter from OKC, hopefully authorizing medical flight eval and instructing you to contact a FSDO of your choice to set it up.
#3 Call the local FSDO and set up date and time. I think mine was booked two weeks out. Reserved a rental airplane at the same time.
#4 Show up to the FSDO with the OKC authorization letter etc. They look over paperwork and then the logbooks for the airplane.
#5 Then they look over the airplane.
#6 Then they begin the exam by observing you doing a routine pre-flight inspection and then you give the examiner a ride.
#7 We did something like two simple emergencies, a couple stalls and a couple landings, and he was satisfied.
#8 The examiner then handed me the SODA after completing another form.

I think in all it was under 3 hours from the time I showed up to leaving with the SODA. (This FSDO is located on my home airport so logistics may involve a ferry pilot.)

Last edited:
Welcome to PoA! We are happy you have joined us!

And best of luck getting back into the air! Do keep us informed of your progress!!

A friend of mine has a leg deformity from neurofibromatosis, and had to do a SODA flight. It was a 0.5 non-event, I'm certain that you will prevail.
Quite a tragic event that was.

Glad to hear you are doing ok and are looking to get back in the air ASAP!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back