Amphib float landing gear

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
For those with actual amphibious float plane experience (not seaplane), I have a question: Since there are two wheels (front and rear) on each float, how does it handle on the ground? Like a tricycle gear or like a tailwheel (aka conventional) gear plane? I'm curious since there isn't an obvious "center of drag" in front or behind the center of gravity.

I'm SES rated, but that was entirely in pure float planes and I don't recall any discussion of this topic.

Like a tricycle gear, but with free castering nosewheels.

The CG of the plane is ahead of the main gear which is what makes a trike handle like a trike... When the CG is behind the mains it handles like a tailwheel.

Just for fun... most light plane amphibs use (traditionally) tail wheels & tires for their nose gear :D.

Makes sense. Thanks.

They are also less sure footed on a runway in a crosswind.

More like a shopping cart and very labor intense also very heavy over straight floats. When you need fuel you not going to find a ladder at most FBO tall enough so you are on the side step and strut with a hose over you about 12' over the ground.

The wheel base and track width are so big, I find them very easy to land. Even in significant crosswinds, touch one rear down and it practically lands itself after that.

Back