Amost famous...

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
Almost famous...

Seems my "interesting" C-140 checkout from about a year ago got written up in March 2009's Flying magazine's "I Learned About Flying From That" section. Bob did a great job on the write-up, but I will say I wasn't as scared as he makes it sound, LOL.
When it happened, we were both stunned a bit, but managed to stay cool. The closer we got to the runway, the better I felt. I knew that even if we ran out of rudder over the runway, our chances of walking away were excellent. I was a lot more scared afterwards!! :yikes:

Not the section of Flying I'd most like to be mentioned in, but at least it's not in "Aftermath". :D

Looking back again on it, I realize that we never even thought to look up at the wings (would've seen the telltale scraps of tape trailing behind the left wing) because we got focused on the first theory (bird strike to the tail).
Not that it would have mattered much- in fact, it might have rattled us a bit more ("is more going to come off?") had we known exactly what was wrong.
There is a lesson to be learned from that, however: in some other situation, where some sort of troubleshooting is possible, being able to go through every possibilty could make all the difference. Mustn't get too focused on any one thing when you have a "situation". That's killed a lot of people, even seasoned pros.

But in this case, it was just a matter of continuing to fly with the plane as is, which Bob did in his usual disciplined way.
Being a good teacher, he's also a good learner... I'm not surprised to read that he regrets not calling an emergency, or at least a "Pan Pan". It worked out OK as it was, but if it hadn't, we might not have gotten help soon enough, with nobody aware of our problem. I'm also sure that like me, he's adding a little extra care to his preflight inspections... I'd missed the minor flaw in the covering due to lack of experience with fabric wings, and he'd dismissed it as a known defect that was "no worse than the last several times I'd flown the airplane".

We both were given a lesson in why that attitude doesn't cut it. Whether you don't know a plane well or know it too well, take nothing for granted during that preflight!

Last edited:
I knew I had heard that story before I read the article on my flight home from Sydney on Saturday. And you're right, your reaction sounded a lot more dramatic in Flying than it did here. Even so, that would get one's attention.

I knew I had heard that story before I read the article on my flight home from Sydney on Saturday. And you're right, your reaction sounded a lot more dramatic in Flying than it did here. Even so, that would get one's attention.

I think Bob was describing more his thought process: as PIC, and the instructor, and the guy with loads more old-airplane time, he was concerned about my state of mind, and considered that a priority. When I recall it, I remember me being worried that he was OK...:D

Either way, both our accounts jibe in this regard: the initial event scared the bejeebers out of both of us, but we quickly settled down and just got the plane home safely.
Then we saw the damage, and both got the heebie-jeebies again. :D I'm almost surprised I ever flew in a ragwing again; it was quite a shock. Had anyone asked me prior to this "what happens if you lose over 50% of the upper surface of the wing in flight?" I'd have said "stall/spin/crash".

Obviously this is not the case with this design (and probably most similar designs), but it's still hard to accept. What has helped me accept it is getting back in the air, mostly in aircraft with lots of fabric on them, since then. L3, Citabria, Champ, Breezy... and now the glider. Metal wings, but everything else is fabric-covered. We're re-covering the 2-33 this winter, and I will feel real good flying it this summer, knowing exactly how the work was done and who did it.

That's the bottom line: it's not the construction, or the TTAF of the plane that matters, it's the techniques and materials used to maintain it. The more you know about that history, the better you will feel and the safer you will be.

As a pilot, I don't want to have my name in Aftermath, just like as a paddler I never wanted to have a river feature named after me! :eek:

That's the bottom line: it's not the construction, or the TTAF of the plane that matters, it's the techniques and materials used to maintain it. The more you know about that history, the better you will feel and the safer you will be.

I just read the story the other day - wow! :yikes:

What was the cause of the fabric departing?

Trapper John

I just read the story the other day - wow! :yikes:

What was the cause of the fabric departing?

Trapper John

I haven't really followed up on it, not sure what exactly was determined to be the cause. I have heard some say the size of the piece or where the seams fell on the frame were not the issue, it was something to do with the technique or materials used. Some have said no, you shouldn't do a big piece like that... others have said they didn't like the look of the minor rib repairs that had been done in that area at one time, some said clips were done wrong, blah, blah... etc. :dunno:

Do I care? Sure I care. But for the average pilot, being an expert on fabric work is less important than knowing better than to take off with even a few inches of "iffy" looking tape in a critical (low-pressure) area.
So I'm satisfied that I know what I need to know...:yesnod: I'm not a fabric expert (yet), but I'm a veteran "test flight crewmember". :D Slightest problem with tape on wings= don't fly it!! :no:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back