AmEx Card Extended Warranty

JGoodish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JGoodish
Has anyone had to use the extended warranty protection on appliances or electronics that is a supposed benefit of buying such products with the card? Although I am asking about AmEx, I believe that other card issuers provide similar benefits.

If you've had to claim against such a benefit, is it of material value, or mostly a gimmick?

Thanks,
JKG

I have not, but a buddy of mine has for a non-aviation related loss, he had purchased new fishing gear and it was stolen off his boat and AMEX paid to replace it, no hassle. :D

Has anyone had to use the extended warranty protection on appliances or electronics that is a supposed benefit of buying such products with the card? Although I am asking about AmEx, I believe that other card issuers provide similar benefits.

If you've had to claim against such a benefit, is it of material value, or mostly a gimmick?

Thanks,
JKG

I have not, but a buddy of mine has for a non-aviation related loss, he had purchased new fishing gear and it was stolen off his boat and AMEX paid to replace it, no hassle. :D
I've used it for damage, but not for theft. No problem, no hassle. Not as easy as a return to the store, but not a big deal.

FYI, whenever I buy a TV, DVD, flat panel monitor, etc, I tape the receipt to the back or the bottom. No one will see it, but I will never lose it.
Now that I use Evernote, take a picture of receipts for portable items and save it an Evernote folder.

Has anyone had to use the extended warranty protection on appliances or electronics that is a supposed benefit of buying such products with the card?

I wonder if the extended coverage includes new avionics for a plane?

That would be worth something.

If you buy a vehicle, does it cover breakdowns? :)

I actually tried using the Visa version on a ~$400 Canon wide format printer that died on me within the card warranty.

Holy Schnikes! What an exercise in frustration!

Visa contracts their service out to some third party waste of oxygen, whose entire business model seems to be based upon exhausting their customers into giving up prior to paying out a claim.

I probably spent 10 hours in total trying to get this resolved.

Beyond the fact they initially insisted in conducting all business via snail mail with a big lag time in between transactions, we went round and round for weeks on their insistence that the contract REQUIRES a repair estimate, as only they have the right to decide whether to repair or replace the unit.

There wasn't a repair service (including Canon) I could find that would provide a repair estimate, as these are apparently disposable consumer printers, and Canon apparently no longer provides replacement parts even if the failure could be diagnosed.

Card services says, "No estimate, no payout."

I finally convinced the local Canon factory service center to write up a service estimate that stated "cost to repair exceeds value of printer."

Still no go, as card services claimed they required a $$ amount on the estimate.

Several more escalations, and card services finally decides send me a replacement check, but when it arrives, it is ~$80 short of my purchase price.

More phone calls, and card services claims they found some third party individual Amazon seller out of Florida who had 1 unit available, unknown working condition, for less than I bought from an authorized Canon store. Not only that, the seller made up the difference with some outrageous shipping price I would have to pay, to which card services says: your tough luck, the contract doesn't cover replacement shipping.

Card service says that their assigned value replacement is not what your receipt states, it is whatever the lowest price (commercial or private) their CS rep can find anywhere on an internet search, less shipping.

A colossal waste of time. :mad2: :mad2:

My dealings with Visa directly have been an exercise in frustration. AmEx has been much better, but I've never tried an extended warranty claim with either.

It sounds as though folks have had some good luck with AmEx, which is encouraging.

Thanks,
JKG

My father in law used the AmEx warranty to replace an iBook screen that was stepped on. Since I didn't hear days of ranting about AmEx being useless, I imagine it was very painless.

My experience has been great with Amex, and a total waste of time to the point I gave up with CitiBank Mastercard.

Try disputing a valid charge with Amex all the proof pictures tracking the whole
Deal spelt out for them, and denied for no reason. Went again direct to company I purchased from and they had to give me money back, as I was destroying their reputation online.. And finally spoke to someone there who can take care of the issue after a dishonest sales lady..

Try disputing a valid charge with Amex all the proof pictures tracking the whole
Deal spelt out for them, and denied for no reason. Went again direct to company I purchased from and they had to give me money back, as I was destroying their reputation online.. And finally spoke to someone there who can take care of the issue after a dishonest sales lady..

I had a similar issue with AmEx, and yes, their dispute process left something to be desired. While I could initiate the dispute and submit documentation online, they took forever to "investigate," and the ONLY communication that I received from them was when they closed the case and ruled in the merchant's favor. When I asked how that happened given the documentation in my favor, they produced only a vague and flimsy statement from the merchant. I was given no opportunity to respond before the case was closed, although they did reopen it when I protested. Shortly thereafter, I was able to negotiate a resolution with the merchant, who had previously been entirely unwilling to negotiate. I have no idea how much, if any, the AmEx dispute had on the merchant's sudden willingness to negotiate.

However, that's still a better experience than I had trying to dispute a duplicate charge with Visa directly. Visa required that I submit the dispute request via snail mail before they would even initiate the dispute, and then subsequently would only communicate with me via snail mail. I raised such a fuss with my local bank (who issued the card, but who outsourced operations to Visa) that they had to get involved. That helped, but I still had to go into a local branch office so that they could fax back and forth with Visa. The merchant eventually resolved that one, too.

Although I've had very few disputed charges over the years, it certainly seems as though the dispute process has shifted from favoring the customer to favoring the merchant. I'm not sure if that's really the case, or whether perhaps such a shift really has occurred as a result of abuse, regulation, or other factors.

JKG

it certainly seems as though the dispute process has shifted from favoring the customer to favoring the merchant.
It may be bank-dependent. I have disputed two charges in the last two years (one AMEX, one Visa), and in both cases they credited the charges instantly.
Of course, one was for an excursion in Mexico cancelled for weather, and when we asked for a refund "the machine is broken".

It may be bank-dependent. I have disputed two charges in the last two years (one AMEX, one Visa), and in both cases they credited the charges instantly.
Of course, one was for an excursion in Mexico cancelled for weather, and when we asked for a refund "the machine is broken".

It may be, because in the past my Visa cards have all been issued by big banks who run their own credit card operations. In those cases, I never had an issue with the bank working with me on the dispute, but that was years ago. The card I have now was issued by my local bank, who outsources operations to Visa, and they're awful (Visa, not my local bank).

AmEx did at least suspend the charge immediately while they investigated, but the communication during the process was completely non-existent.

JKG

I'm trying out the Amex insurance for damage to the iPad mini in the first 90 days. They say it will be up to a 90 day wait to even hear back on the claim even if they need more information.

Report was easy to do online though and instant confirmation in email.

"Item: iPad Mini Non-Retina 32GB. Damage Description: Dropped."

Nothing more to say. I could have added, "Because I'm a moron" but that's probably implied. ;)

Heh. We shall see. Can't hurt to try. Never used it before. Had kinda forgotten about that Amex benefit.

If it actually ends up paying off, it's yet another reason to use Amex for purchases.

Will report back.

My only experience with Amex was nearly 19 years ago, and it was fraudulent charges made to a card that had never left my wallet. Took forever to get them resolved. I cut up the card and the only Amex cards I've had since are the ones provided by my employer for business travel.

Was doubled billed by a hotel while traveling,resolved rather quickly since I had used the card ,in another state on the date in question. Don't really trust any of the major cards with extended warranty claims.

This is sort of related.... Be careful with their rental car coverage (and other credit cards, as well). This is the coverage that replaces the damage waiver that is offered at the rental car counter. I spent some time reading the exclusions and was shocked to see the limits on the type of cars that they will cover, especially with the inconsistencies in rental car sizes (Chevy Malibu being considered a full-size). For example, the coverage will not cover a Chevy Tahoe, but will a Trailblazer (or similar). It's not just exotics that they exclude.

Reporting back. AMEX didn't refund the entire price of the dropped iPad mini since the billed amount on the card after the trade in of the iPad 1 was $200 less than the full price, but they cheerfully refunded every dollar billed to the card.

If I had charged the whole thing they sounded like they'd have refunded the whole thing.

I don't know how they make money refunding me money on dropping iPads, but hell, I'll take it. The refund is more than enough to go take it to Apple for a refurb replacement.

So buy with Amex and drop your iPads early! LOL. You have 90 days to destroy your own stuff I guess! Ha. ;)

Oh, it was definitely a third party as someone else mentioned. I'm had put in the claim for the full price and got a call from an adjuster who asked why she couldn't find a transaction for the same amount. I explained there was a trade-in and I wasn't sure how to claim it. She said only the charges amount was covered (makes sense) and said I'd see it on next month's statement as a refund. I got an email with confirmation a few hours later in a PDF letter.

All in all, the usual good customer service from Amex I've come to expect. I only bother having a MasterCard card anymore to either a) pay at businesses who don't accept Amex or b) to pay businessowners I know who I don't feel like hitting with Amex's higher percentage so I don't hurt their bottom line as much.

(Frankly I usually just pay small businesses in cash or check saving them the card fees altogether. But if it's a large purchase I'll use the MC to help them out. Big box stores? Screw em. Out comes the Amex. Ha.)

Gas stations have caught on around here. Credit card fuel at the pump is often $0.10 higher than a cash or debit card transaction. Especially the grocery store pumps with their loyalty programs. Watch out for that. You swipe your card and the prices on the digital pumps change before your eyes to $0.10 higher than what's on the sign. Cute.

Tools like GasBuddy App are debating how to handle this in the website and App I see in their developer forums. Some stations only do the cash/credit prove difference on certain grades of fuel, too. It creates a problem for both idiots typing in the wrong prices and also doubles the size of the data tables and changes the App and website design.

Games. Always games. Designed to catch the un-observant.

Thanks for letting us know. I had not given any thought to this warranty before, but it sounds like a good thing.

the photograph of a receipt is not going to cut it . . . .

they will want the original documents - its right in the terms of the 'insurance.' Its the gotcha they use to never have to pay - the number of claims is miniscule compared to the number purchase 'guaranteed.'

the photograph of a receipt is not going to cut it . . . .

they will want the original documents - its right in the terms of the 'insurance.' Its the gotcha they use to never have to pay - the number of claims is miniscule compared to the number purchase 'guaranteed.'

I liked Alan's judicious use of tape. Change that to duct tape and you've got a Red Green solution right there.

By the way, many receipts are printed via thermal paper and are completely unreadable after just a few days in sunlight. Most text disappears in my filing cabinet in just a year or so. So you'd have a hard time using the original copy anyway.

You'd probably win with a photo in small claims court. Very few adjudicators would side against the plaintiff if they said the original had become unreadable and they tossed it, but had a photo of the original.

A hassle, but you'd win. Only you can decide if the hassle is worth it. Or if you just feel like annoying the crap out of a young corporate attorney. :)

I liked Alan's judicious use of tape. Change that to duct tape and you've got a Red Green solution right there.

By the way, many receipts are printed via thermal paper and are completely unreadable after just a few days in sunlight. Most text disappears in my filing cabinet in just a year or so. So you'd have a hard time using the original copy anyway.

You'd probably win with a photo in small claims court. Very few adjudicators would side against the plaintiff if they said the original had become unreadable and they tossed it, but had a photo of the original.

A hassle, but you'd win. Only you can decide if the hassle is worth it. Or if you just feel like annoying the crap out of a young corporate attorney. :)

Nice thing about small claims court, at least when I used it in California a couple decades ago, is that lawyers aren't permitted.

Although I've had very few disputed charges over the years, it certainly seems as though the dispute process has shifted from favoring the customer to favoring the merchant. I'm not sure if that's really the case, or whether perhaps such a shift really has occurred as a result of abuse, regulation, or other factors.JKG

Charge cards can be a conundrum for all parties. Anger a cardholder, they cut up the card and transfer the balance to another creditor, or pay it off.

Anger a small merchant, and he stops honoring that card altogether if he felt he lost too much money.

If customers can't use their cards, they use another.

A friend of mine quit taking all charge cards, people just started paying him with cash or checks. Cash was good, it seemed like he was happier.

I had a bank T me off years ago and could get no satisfaction on my legitimate claim. So I put a sign up at my cash registers that my store no longer accepted checks from that bank. This was back in the early 1970s.

I had my dispute resolved favorably in less than a week.

Charge cards were a great innovation for the engine that drives our economy, consumerism, but they can also be an expensive pain in the ass as well.

-John

Nice thing about small claims court, at least when I used it in California a couple decades ago, is that lawyers aren't permitted.

Interesting. Never had to use it but know folks who've done so with excellent results.

Thanks,
JKG

I've used it. Was painless and fast.

One thing I did notice, though. It excludes aviation related items.

The rules must have changed soon after. I used it 17 years ago in California. My company, a corporation, was being sued by an idiot in small claims court.

I discovered that I could not represent my corporation myself, I could only be represented by an attorney. The plaintiff was also represented by an attorney.

I not only won the case, but my attorney also demanded sanctions against the attorney representing the idiot who did not even bother to show up.

Apparently the judge was friends with the female attorney representing the idiot, so sanctions were denied, at least according to my attorney afterwards.

-John

The rules must have changed soon after. I used it 17 years ago in California. My company, a corporation, was being sued by an idiot in small claims court.

I discovered that I could not represent my corporation myself, I could only be represented by an attorney. The plaintiff was also represented by an attorney.

I not only won the case, but my attorney also demanded sanctions against the attorney representing the idiot who did not even bother to show up.

Apparently the judge was friends with the female attorney representing the idiot, so sanctions were denied, at least according to my attorney afterwards.

-John

That's a change, then. Our case was fairly simple. The tenor sax my son rented from the school was stolen from the band room. After a period without one we started looking the want ads to buy him one. Found one, paid for it and things were good. Then he started looking more closely and noticed that the scratch marks around the neck strap loop looked awfully familiar. Checked the records at the school and everything matched. We had bought the stolen instrument. Called the police, notified the school. The seller claimed he had bought it from someone who took one of his other instruments in trade. And he didn't want to refund our money without getting his stuff back. Sorry, not my problem. Sued in small claims court and won. He appealed. I won that, too. Cost him more in the end as he had to pay our fees, as well. Got his check, took it straight to his bank and cashed it. We weren't allowed lawyers and didn't need one. Oh, and at the end of the appeal hearing he suggested that maybe my son had stolen it in the first place. My parting comments to the judge - "He's questioning the word of an Eagle Scout". End of discussion. :D

I've used it. Was painless and fast.

One thing I did notice, though. It excludes aviation related items.

The extended warranty terms and conditions for my AmEx card do not have any such exclusions except for mechanical parts for motorized vehicles, which would presumably include automotive parts, boat parts, and likely airplane parts. I think there may also be a dollar limit of around $10,000, but most of the exclusions were fairly reasonable, as I recall.

JKG

Back