AMERICAN AIRLINES SUCKS

cirrusmx

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
campoalavista
They are probably the worst airline in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and possibly in the whole world. So, I flew to puerto Vallarta from austin, tx. Roundtrip 4 legs were flown and all of them were DELAYED. first leg to dallas the crew made a mistake and taxied to the wrong gate on the D terminal (international arrivals side).They should have known better. Wait 20 minutes for a push back cart and then another 15 min to taxi to the correct gate which took us on a ground trip all around DFW. Next flight, DELAYED and top of that it was one of their old beaten up MD80. We flew FL200, talk about fuel economy. On the way back to DFW after new years on the 2nd, DELAYED. From dallas to austin DELAYED. We waited for about 25 souls to make their connecting flight as they came from DELAYED AA flights. We were on the plane for about 1:30 to 2:00 on what should be a 30 minute hop. no wonder that airline isnt in great shape. On the upside this last flight was on the newer 737-800 so we had purple LED ambient cabin light, FWIW. I should have flown myself down to the beach. My own Campoalavista Airline has a better record for being on time and I probably would have beatem AA by about 4-5 hours travel time.:D

They certainly do! My last experience to the Virgin Islands was just as bad. :mad:

Was going to say... Why on earth did you decide to fly commercial?

That's not that bad. try flying united and you'll feel better about AA

I'll stick with Southwest. I like peanuts.

That's not that bad. try flying united and you'll feel better about AA

I've flew about 150 flights on United and 10ish on AA in 2012 and disagree. I think United has improved their product tremendously compared to years past.

I've flew about 150 flights on United and 10ish on AA in 2012 and disagree. I think United has improved their product tremendously compared to years past.

I know a bunch of folks here in the DC area (UA hub) that would say that UA has gotten worse since the merger. But YMMV, and it depends so much on the route and the crew.

That said, I had a couple of excellent flights on AA within the last week on my trip from DC to Tokyo & return. Perfect? No. But as good or better than my recent UA flights. (The captain threatened to take us back to the gate after some passengers were "using profanity" in the back of the plane, which was a passenger problem, not an airline problem).

YMMV.

Last edited:
The simple truth is that the vast majority of the traveling public cares about one thing when it comes to air travel.... PRICE. Taking a once a year trip to see grandma, planned 9+ months in advance, they don't really care how crappy the trip is as long as it's cheap. Their alternative was Greyhound and even they would have been more expensive.

So that's what we get. No more Pan Am clipper ships with roast beef and full bars. Just cattle cars with teeny tiny seats, no consideration for the passengers, and no impetus for efficiency unless it supports the profit motive. Just be glad no one is allowed to just stand in the aisle or bring farm animals on board.

I'm hoping UA does better this year than they did last year. It wasn't until November that I had a round trip on UA that didn't have a major hickup somewhere along the line, including two trips where I spent an extra night in a hotel somewhere because of maintenance. The UA/CO merger was not smooth. Oh, and I'm a 1K on UA, so I do ride them a fair amount.

I know a bunch of folks here in the DC area (UA hub) that would say that UA has gotten worse since the merger. But YMMV, and it depends so much on the route and the crew.

That said, I had a couple of excellent flights on AA within the last week on my trip from DC to Tokyo & return. Perfect? No. But as good or better than my recent UA flights. (The captain threatened to take us back to the gate after some passengers were "using profanity" in the back of the plane, which was a passenger problem, not an airline problem).

YMMV.
Yup, I along with 300 others got stuck overnight at Dulles after watching the united reps solicit bribes to get us out of there they booked me on a us airways flight out of regan. That I got to pay an 80 buck can fare out of my pocket for. arrived an hour late for my meeting with zero sleep. On the return trip, I got to spend the night in DIA. Two nights in a row with no bed and 80 bucks poorer. That was my last trip

Great... Now we're gonna have 10 more threads with an AA exec. bitching for the MC to take down this thread...

Said it before and I'll say it again.....only a matter of time before everybody is wearing double breasted jackets and asking for wind checks.

Delta will rule the world! :yes:

And there still will be no smoking in the Lav:fingerwag:

Forgot to mention. About 4 years ago I took an AA flight from dallas to tokyo. guess what? ENGINE FAILURE!!! Pilot had to divert to somewhere upnorth canada and we had to wait about 6 hours to get another working 777.

Forgot to mention. About 4 years ago I took an AA flight from dallas to tokyo. guess what? ENGINE FAILURE!!! Pilot had to divert to somewhere upnorth canada and we had to wait about 6 hours to get another working 777.

And that doesn't happen with other airlines? Check out avherald.com sometime - happens to quite a few carriers... Off the top of my head, I can recall DL having an uncontained engine failure that punctured the cabin, BA having engine failure on a 747 that they flew back to London, UA for a couple, etc.

I will say that *if* USAirways ends up merging with/taking over AA that things will get worse, much worse from the customer perspective.

If Useless Air merges with American, they will ramk behind Spirit Airlines in terms of service but they might even make some money.

Every major airline is more or less the same. There are two levels, The Majors and the really crummy (but cheap) ones like Alliegent and Spirit.

Cheers

If Useless Air merges with American, they will ramk behind Spirit Airlines in terms of service but they might even make some money.

Every major airline is more or less the same. There are two levels, The Majors and the really crummy (but cheap) ones like Alliegent and Spirit.

Cheers

I'm not so sure about the make-money part. US has a pretty stiff debt load & real reputational issues. If Parker runs the combined show, it'll not be good. And US has not exactly resolved the labor issues it's had since the last merger.

Actually, I think Delta does have better service than the other legacies. But it also favors people who want to pay more, much more, and has eviscerated it's frequent flyer program (which as best I can tell exists to sell "miles" to customers and other businesses while providing little in the way of benefits). If you're willing to pay more and expect little in the way of FF benefits, then Delta does have one of the better domestic products out there. USAir is about the bottom of the barrel in terms of legacy carriers (though Alliegent and Spirt are worse, but they are not considered legacies).

YMMV.

Oh, I would agree that it was a rough three months after the merger. They all suck, but in my case United sucks less. I was in ORD fifty something times last year and was only didn't get where I was going same day twice. Status helps whatever your choice.

The simple truth is that the vast majority of the traveling public cares about one thing when it comes to air travel.... PRICE. Taking a once a year trip to see grandma, planned 9+ months in advance, they don't really care how crappy the trip is as long as it's cheap. Their alternative was Greyhound and even they would have been more expensive.

So that's what we get. No more Pan Am clipper ships with roast beef and full bars. Just cattle cars with teeny tiny seats, no consideration for the passengers, and no impetus for efficiency unless it supports the profit motive. Just be glad no one is allowed to just stand in the aisle or bring farm animals on board.

:yeahthat:

Prior to de-regulation the airlines were fined for delays.

You flew a major airline on four flights into or out of their major hub, it really doesn't matter which one you pick... IAD for UA, etc. etc..

I fly about 40 flights a year. Out of Denver it's Frontier or United. I quit flying United about 5 years ago.

It used to be Frontier, until they started their stupid "no seat assignment and 50% miles unless you book on our website" junk. But my company travel goes through an agency, so I don't have the choice to book on their website.

So, it's United for everything. Got a United club card, so no baggage fees, access to the lounges, upgrades from time to time. And so far, United has been a lot better than they used to be. I really don't have any complaints, other than the pitch on coach seats.

I fly about 40 flights a year. Out of Denver it's Frontier or United. I quit flying United about 5 years ago.

It used to be Frontier, until they started their stupid "no seat assignment and 50% miles unless you book on our website" junk. But my company travel goes through an agency, so I don't have the choice to book on their website.

So, it's United for everything. Got a United club card, so no baggage fees, access to the lounges, upgrades from time to time. And so far, United has been a lot better than they used to be. I really don't have any complaints, other than the pitch on coach seats.

That's what UA offers me. E+ seating has more legroom than cattle car on most any other airline. Which reminds me, I really need to make an appointment with my doctor to look at my right knee, the one that's been hurting since being crammed into a seat on ANA in November...

Mechanical problems are not fair dinkum, but I've always had a problem with AA's attitude -- corporate as well as employees. My company travel dept. favored them, but I think they're awful.

We are losing the best airline that serves ATL, Airtran was bought out by Southwest and now I am about to be stuck with just Delta. :mad2: I really liked Airtran's service and with newer planes they always looked much better than the some of the old crap Delta flies. I really don't dislike Delta as much as I like Airtran more. ;)

I can't stand Southwest. I always seem to be sitting near a loud drunk.

'nother thing I like about Delta- they aren't afraid to kick the drunks off. I just flew home from PHX on Sunday and they deplaned a drunk moron from First Class no less.

Nope, sorry, you're all wrong... Iceland Air handles drunks the best:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/01/raging-airplane-passenger-duct-taped-to-seat/

abc_gma_iceland_drunk_passenger_jt_130105_wblog.jpg

My wife goes from LAX-PHL once a month - she started out using USAir.

I suggested she try Virgin America once. Despite being Gold for Life on American, and the expected benefits from USAir merger, and USAir making her Silver for 2013 from only 6 round trips, she is hooked on them. New planes, decent motivated flight attendants - the only downside is that if there is an equipment malfunction she is screwed . . .

Back