FlyingBliss

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingBliss
I'm a new student pilot training for my PPL and I have had well controlled type 1 diabetes for 30 years. The FAA has issued a list of what I call "disqualifiers" for type 1 diabetics to receive their initial medical certificate which are (1) no recurrent history of severe hypoglycemia in the last 5 years, (2) no clinically significant eye disease, (3) two most recent A1c's, and, (4) ECG and cardiac stress test (for anyone >40 yrs of age). My physicians in Boston (Joslin Diabetes Center) have written letters for me confirming that (1) I have no history of severe hypoglycemia, (2) I do not have clinically significant eye disease (20/20 in right and 20/12.5 in left and healthy), and, (3) my last two A1c's are 6.6% and 6.3% (I wear a CGM and historically my A1c's have been between 6-7%). I have a cardiac stress test scheduled in a couple of weeks, which I should pass with no issues (still in good shape and healthy). Even with my solid history, I'm still a little nervous about my medical exam. If I meet all of the medical requirements listed by the FAA for Type 1 Diabetics, is there still a chance that the AME could deny me? I just want to make sure that I have all of my ducks in a row before scheduling my exam. I can't imagine not being allowed to fly. Thanks for any advice or tips.

The AME isn't going to deny you, but you will be deferred to Joklahoma City.
Here is what your AME will need to have you submit:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...c_cons/disease_prot/diabetes_insulin/initial/

Chances are you are going to get the special issuance, but it's going to take a while. The FAA has taken a dump on pilots who aren't trying to earn a living of late to cover the fact that they can't even meet their own miserable self-imposed processing times on things.

The AME isn't going to deny you, but you will be deferred to Joklahoma City.
Here is what your AME will need to have you submit:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...c_cons/disease_prot/diabetes_insulin/initial/

Chances are you are going to get the special issuance, but it's going to take a while. The FAA has taken a dump on pilots who aren't trying to earn a living of late to cover the fact that they can't even meet their own miserable self-imposed processing times on things.

Thanks Ron. Well, if it takes a while to get my SI then I'll just have to fly more with my instructor before my first solo, which is just fine with me. As long as I'm in the air I'm a happy camper. My worst nightmare would be not getting my SI. I've heard that Dr. Bruce Chien in Peoria IL is an expert Senior AME when it comes to SI, so, I've reached out to him asking for his assistance. Hopefully he can expedite the process as much as possible.

Are u insulin dependent? If so, there are some FAA requirements to check it blood sugar before takeoff and landing etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back