Amazon proposes new airspace for drones

key excerpts:

Amazon ... is calling for airspace under 200 feet to be designated for low-speed localized traffic ... between 200 and 400 feet would serve as a highway for drones .... between 400 and 500 feet would be left empty as a buffer between drones and planes.​

Last edited:
That airspace would not work in my town. For one thing, the hospital near the center of town has lots of helicopter traffic, and that's low. For another the airport is close to town so that we're <400 feet AGL above a couple of neighborhoods, on takeoff and approach.

That airspace would not work in my town. For one thing, the hospital near the center of town has lots of helicopter traffic, and that's low. For another the airport is close to town so that we're <400 feet AGL above a couple of neighborhoods, on takeoff and approach.

That's true even away from hospitals and airports. In the US, unlike airplanes, helicopters are allowed to fly below 500' as long as they don't pose a risk to persons or property. Many helicopters commonly fly missions within that altitude range, for example to periodically inspect pipelines, power lines, and other ground facilities; to take low altitude photographs of structures and objects; for news gathering; to assist in police activities (including search-and-rescue, surveillance, searching and tracking); and many other activities. Many of these flights take place over densely built-up areas, where drones presumably would be buzzing around freely if allowed.
I can't see the FAA allowing this "band" without creating a major hazard for helicopters, unless all aircraft have 100% reliable systems to prevent collisions.

I think they'd virtually be forced to follow public roads because nobody is going to put up with drones buzzing over their private property for someone else's commercial endeavors.

Personally I can't see this ever happening. Drones are like big noisy bugs and having the sky full of them is just downright plain creepy. All so someone can get their Bluetooth Selfie stick in 30 minutes? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Define; "Integrated Airspace".

The word 'integrated' tends to mean a combination of multiple disparate entities. If so, then no thank you and have a nice day.

I think they'd virtually be forced to follow public roads because nobody is going to put up with drones buzzing over their private property for someone else's commercial endeavors.

Personally I can't see this ever happening. Drones are like big noisy bugs and having the sky full of them is just downright plain creepy. All so someone can get their Bluetooth Selfie stick in 30 minutes? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Something like that. I just don't see it working on multiple levels. It's a cool concept, but the problem is we just don't have a propulsion package that will meet the mission with any sense of efficiency, maybe a bigger LTA drone could do the job, but nothing that relies on thrust to stay off the ground.

I like the idea of Drone interceptors. Cheaply made foam drones/planes that run autonomously to track and ram other drones. Could be a whole new method of airspace enforcement.

I like the idea of Drone interceptors. Cheaply made foam drones/planes that run autonomously to track and ram other drones. Could be a whole new method of airspace enforcement.

In principal I like your idea. On the other hand I don't like the idea of large metal/composite drones following like locusts from the sky on my head, car, dog, etc.

In principal I like your idea. On the other hand I don't like the idea of large metal/composite drones following like locusts from the sky on my head, car, dog, etc.

I think exploding surprises from the sky is exactly what we need.:rofl:

Something like that. I just don't see it working on multiple levels. It's a cool concept, but the problem is we just don't have a propulsion package that will meet the mission with any sense of efficiency, maybe a bigger LTA drone could do the job, but nothing that relies on thrust to stay off the ground.

All you need is hydrogen Henning.:D

There are already mass market RC helicopters more than capable of carrying out his role.

Cool way to get free packages from the Amazon delivery drones you take down.

Cool way to get free packages from the Amazon delivery drones you take down.

Amazon will use that 400'-500' zone to fly top cover fighters with machine BBguns to take out the pirate drones. SkyNet won't be Military, and Terminators will actually be package delivery robots.

I live in the country. We use shotguns . . . It'll be good practice for dove season.

I see a marketing opportunity for residential barrage ballons.

:)

When urban skies are filled with high density drone traffic flying below 200 AGL, I wonder who people are going to call with their noise complaints?

When urban skies are filled with high density drone traffic flying below 200 AGL, I wonder who people are going to call with their noise complaints?

You best not call anyone or they'll home in on you. Sky net isn't going to come from the Army, it's going to come from Amazon defending their drone fleet...:eek:

The scary thing is, there was a big conference on airspace management for UAVs at Moffett this week. Everyone recognizes airspace issues, but, being Silicon Valley, the solutions being sought are all technological. And it gives me no comfort that everyone talking about it is on the business side and thinks the issue is "restricted airspace."

It's going to take something bad happening for people to stop being idiots. Even the recent fire TFR issues haven't been enough.

I'll be impressed with those solutions when they can read NOTAMs and comply with VIP TFRs.

...And it gives me no comfort that everyone talking about it is on the business side and thinks the issue is "restricted airspace."

This is the real problem in a nutshell because it's being driven by interests that want to make money off drones and therefore there is a possibility that you and I will have to install another eight thousand dollar box in our spamcan to accommodate their commercial endeavors.

This is the real problem in a nutshell because it's being driven by interests that want to make money off drones and therefore there is a possibility that you and I will have to install another eight thousand dollar box in our spamcan to accommodate their commercial endeavors.

I would think it will work the other way, and would easily parlay with the ADSB Out investment people are already making. If everybody has ADSB Out, then it would not be difficult to mandate the drones be responsible for avoidance of those signals. The rare conflict in the transitional airspace would be easy to avoid, the drones need to carry ADS-B In.

You can trust that the mandate will be on the drone operators, because they are the ones who need to be insured.

My question is regarding the actual market for drone deliveries. How many people actually need a delivery from Amazon to be same day where the drone would be the best delivery option? Or is it a gee whiz type of thing and people will pay the extra money just to see a drone drop off a package at their house. Which is it? Actual need or cool factor? And if cool factor, how long until it wears off? :dunno:

I would think it will work the other way, and would easily parlay with the ADSB Out investment people are already making. If everybody has ADSB Out, then it would not be difficult to mandate the drones be responsible for avoidance of those signals. The rare conflict in the transitional airspace would be easy to avoid, the drones need to carry ADS-B In.

You can trust that the mandate will be on the drone operators, because they are the ones who need to be insured.

Why would "everybody" have ADS-B out? It's only required in ABC and over 10k. Drones would have to remain in controlled airspace or above ten thousand feet at all times. That would make package delivery or commercial surveillance awkward.

My question is regarding the actual market for drone deliveries. How many people actually need a delivery from Amazon to be same day where the drone would be the best delivery option? Or is it a gee whiz type of thing and people will pay the extra money just to see a drone drop off a package at their house. Which is it? Actual need or cool factor? And if cool factor, how long until it wears off? :dunno:

I think the idea of drones regularly plying the airways across town delivering little packages is completely nonsensical. What I want to see from drone manufacturers is a watchdog system - a completely autonomous drone (or squadron of drones) that through perimeter motion detectors will sense and then pester with ultra bright LED's, video capture and possibly plain old noise, any intruder who decides to snoop around my property when I'm not there. Hell they could even bark like a real dog.

I think the idea of drones regularly plying the airways across town delivering little packages is completely nonsensical. What I want to see from drone manufacturers is a watchdog system - a completely autonomous drone (or squadron of drones) that through perimeter motion detectors will sense and then pester with ultra bright LED's, video capture and possibly plain old noise, any intruder who decides to snoop around my property when I'm not there. Hell they could even bark like a real dog.

Now that just might be a good application of drone technology especially if you have a bunch of acres to keep the vermin off of.

Why would "everybody" have ADS-B out? It's only required in ABC and over 10k. Drones would have to remain in controlled airspace or above ten thousand feet at all times. That would make package delivery or commercial surveillance awkward.

What metro areas are you going to be flying around at 400' and below and not need ADS-B?:dunno:

Well, anyplace were there's an airport outside of class A, B or C for one.

Back