Amazed at 172s leg room

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Today I had the opportunity to fly in a 172. On one of the legs I sat in the back. I could not believe how much room there was in the back seat. I could practically stick my leg straight out. I was pretty amazed.

Sometimes I take 2 or 3 people flying & they notice a C172 has more space than coach in the airliners, but that's not saying much. A C152 kid's seat probably has more space than coach...

It's completely dependent on how tall the pilot and co-pilot are. That said, in most cases, the leg room is pretty good. Just don't sit behind Tom B., a CFI at Panorama. The guy is literally 6'7" and probably leaves the seat all the way back.

Today I had the opportunity to fly in a 172. On one of the legs I sat in the back. I could not believe how much room there was in the back seat. I could practically stick my leg straight out. I was pretty amazed.

yeah...if you are short like me, when I pull the seat ALL the way forward in my 182, you can play hokey in the back! :D

That's nothing compared to the 177. With the wide doors, and being about 6'5", I never move the seat from the rearmost position. Even then, there is good room in the back seat. The back seat in the Cardinal is as spacious as the front seat of the 172/182.

Wells

That's nothing compared to the 177. With the wide doors, and being about 6'5", I never move the seat from the rearmost position. Even then, there is good room in the back seat. The back seat in the Cardinal is as spacious as the front seat of the 172/182.
I never thought a Skyhawk was that roomy. I did get a couple hours in a Cardinal the other day. It had quite a bit of space in the back.

There is a hell of a lot more room in the back of a C172 than there is in a PA-28.

It's completely dependent on how tall the pilot and co-pilot are. That said, in most cases, the leg room is pretty good. Just don't sit behind Tom B., a CFI at Panorama. The guy is literally 6'7" and probably leaves the seat all the way back.

I think Tom is actually 6'8" - I'm 6'6" and look up to him.

There is a hell of a lot more room in the back of a C172 than there is in a PA-28.

Amen to that. I'm not sure there's any legroom in the back seat of our club's 1969 PA-28R-200. Thankfully I've never inflicted it on anyone. Always been solo or with someone in the right seat when flying that plane.

Now, the 182. I've ridden in the back seat of that. Lots of room. You need specific seats in coach on certain airlines to beat it. Typical coach doesn't even come close.

I'll second that... a little easier to get in and out, too. But I'll go for a ride in just about anything, even in the back- I'm easy. :D

Well, I'm 6'4" and I do bring the seat in the 182 forward three clicks of the lawyer lock which is quite a bit. (I'd guess 9-12".) We had a guy in the club who was 6'8"... :eek:

On the way to the FlyBQ last year, three of us were 6' or better - Myself in the left seat, my 6'2" brother and his 6' girlfriend in the back.

What a great airplane!!! :yes:

Back