Am I ruined forever? Got to fly a Citabria

Why an EAB Citabria clone and not something interesting? Say, a Hiperbipe? Acro and a degree of cross country capability for two.

I like the tandem seating. If I could design a plane I would design a tandem seat aircraft with some aerobatic capability and the ability to operate from unimproved fields. Not an STOL bush plane but something that could easily land on a beach or in a field with some grass.

It exists! It’s a Citabria. Annnnd it’s Part 23 so if it needs a re-cover it’s close to totaled from a value perspective because of labor :(

Looks like a clone of my second Citabria, a 7GCBC, a 1966 IIRC:

10467045524_dfd0b9f9e2_z.jpg

First was a 1976 7ECA:

32584748373_2fc2caa150.jpg

Last edited:
Why an EAB Citabria clone and not something interesting? Say, a Hiperbipe? Acro and a degree of cross country capability for two.
I don't hate the hiperbipe that's for sure. Ironically, one of the Sorrells is in my Citabria log books. He did a bunch of welding after someone wrecked the gear.

Someone else mentioned the RV-4. That is a short list plane for me to build.

That seems to be what some people were axing for. I was just wondering why.

Easy. If my Citabria were experimental I could do the fabric myself. I could choose lighter components, choose modern lights, electronics and even ignition from this century.
I also wouldn't be trying to locate paperwork for the spades I have but can't install without permission from the King.

I got a healthy dose of it when I taxiied my Citabria onto Embry Riddle's ramp in Daytona. It was arranged with the school, as I had a meeting there, but the students couldn't figure out why someone would WANT to fly something like that.

Man, you rolled up on the wrong flight school! A coupla weeks ago I dropped into a local flight school ramp in a Beech 18 for two quick items; needed to pee and check a cowling latch. Kinda felt like a rock star though, students and ramp rats looking at the Beech asking “What. Is. That??” They quite liked it. But, it was a cool kind of flight school; they do acro and tailwheel stuff, so they already worship at the Altar of the Citabria...

Easy. If my Citabria were experimental I could do the fabric myself. I could choose lighter components, choose modern lights, electronics and even ignition from this century.
I also wouldn't be trying to locate paperwork for the spades I have but can't install without permission from the King.

This. I’ve sort of tossed the idea of ever owning a Part 23 aircraft. Things like fabric work are things I know I could learn to do and I’d want to be able to do that, avionics upgrades, and the like without having to worry about STC’s and paying an AP to do it. Plus the cost of certified parts. It’s kind of depressing really because a Citabria pretty much checks all the boxes I’d want in a plane.

Well, ... if the Citabria did it for you, just wait till you push the throttle up on an Extra 330L. -Holy cr@p! Got 1 hour in one last week, and I'm thinking of starting a "gofundme" account.;)

I got a healthy dose of it when I taxiied my Citabria onto Embry Riddle's ramp in Daytona. It was arranged with the school, as I had a meeting there, but the students couldn't figure out why someone would WANT to fly something like that.

That was only Prof Aero studs, their opinions don't count.

990ABB33-915A-4AC6-832A-D74B31EABA74.png
well I was 20 hrs into my ppl flying a 172S, when i decided to do some extra credit and also work on tail dragger. Saturday I flew 2.2 hrs with Joy at Texas Tail Draggers and within 5 minutes of being airborn I was hooked. I absolutely love flying that plane. Sunday I soloed the 172 in the pattern for 1.2 hrs. The plane I once thought was fun to fly now feels like an old mini van.

Awesome man!
I told you Joy is fabulous... Come out to Brenham and I will show you around. You will probably fall in love with my 140 also. I think you will enjoy a taildragger that you solo from the rear better. I never felt right flying a taildragger from the front. I got a bunch of planes you can try on and I will get you up in the Stearman if the weather is nice. I will be around Friday morning and the weekend.

Last edited:
This. I’ve sort of tossed the idea of ever owning a Part 23 aircraft. Things like fabric work are things I know I could learn to do and I’d want to be able to do that, avionics upgrades, and the like without having to worry about STC’s and paying an AP to do it. Plus the cost of certified parts. It’s kind of depressing really because a Citabria pretty much checks all the boxes I’d want in a plane.

How about an experimental clipwing Cub clone? I think there's also an aerobatic version of the Kitfox, though it's not tandem seating.

Hard to beat the view in a big old biplane!

Awesome plane! Friday I taking my mother to the Dr in Houston, but maybe Saturday we could meet up. Joy is supposed to call me today to see if we can do a lesson Saturday. I will get in touch with you later in the week.

Maybe I've been fortunate in never having had difficulty finding someone to help me maintain certified aircraft. My advice is just get yourself in their circle...hang at the small airport/EAA chapter, be their 2nd set of hands on their projects, show an interest. Many artisans of tube/fabric enjoy teaching a dying art.

I found my first mechanical mentor by joining an EAA chapter (way) back in the day. Clarence Witte (long since passed) is a name no one ever heard of, but was an amazing teacher. Qualifications?....he welded up the first wing-riding stand for the Cole Brothers Flying Circus. Had some amazing stories! We pulled an old Champ out of a corn crib, and he taught me how to bring it back to life.

Good Lord...I've turned into the old guy rambling on! :) Class dismissed...and back to the praises of Citabriating!

Jim

Well, ... if the Citabria did it for you, just wait till you push the throttle up on an Extra 330L. -Holy cr@p! Got 1 hour in one last week, and I'm thinking of starting a "gofundme" account.;)

Back in the early days of the "Front porch of Aviation", aka PoA, there was a very generous guy named Chip who owned a 330L and used to hang out here. Several years in a row he spent nearly the entire Gastons weekend giving endless rides to those who were interested. THAT was an "E" ticket ride!

Here his is getting ready to give a ride to Toby, another person now long gone from the Front Porch:

113-1389_IMG-X3.jpg

Back in the early days of the "Front porch of Aviation", aka PoA, there was a very generous guy named Chip who owned a 330L and used to hang out here. Several years in a row he spent nearly the entire Gastons weekend giving endless rides to those who were interested. THAT was an "E" ticket ride!

Here his is getting ready to give a ride to Toby, another person now long gone from the Front Porch:

113-1389_IMG-X3.jpg

Now go climb in a Pitts... It will make that Extra feel boring. Nothing quite like a biplane.

Now go climb in a Pitts... It will make that Extra feel boring. Nothing quite like a biplane.

I'd jump at the opportunity for a ride, but know of nobody nearby that owns something like a Pitts. Just learning to land one would be hella fun I'd think.

Citabrias do a lot of things not very well. I prefer a plane that shines at the mission. You must have different priorities, and that's why there are more than one kind of airplane.

Go fly a Supercub. The Citabria will be forgotten.

I can’t do the front seat in a Super Cub. It just isn’t right. That’s why I picked my J-3 and 100% love it :)
Taildraggers are meant to be soloed from the rear seat.
I even looked at Carbon Cubs. You can’t take off with the door open! That is the dumbest thing I ever heard of. My door never closes.50641AB8-60E2-4DD1-B505-E8974F00CE02.jpeg6D86525C-B631-499F-9B7D-C054B1A6CA1E.jpeg50C1E17B-35D1-44FB-8F1C-B5AF0E4E1AAC.jpeg640B71EE-61CE-4540-BC23-F4F14909F8D7.jpeg

Citabrias do a lot of things not very well. I prefer a plane that shines at the mission. You must have different priorities, and that's why there are more than one kind of airplane.
A Scout is in the exact same alley as a supercub. Supercubs can do one thing well... takeoff and land short. But the control harmony is just garbage, the plane is uncomfortable and not very easy to get into or out of or load things well. The Scout can takeoff and land nearly as short and excels in the previous things I mentioned.

But yeah if your ONLY goal is STOL, then sure a supercub is the place to be, but a Scout is going to 98% of those places.

But we can save the age-old champ vs cub argument for another thread :).

Atleast we both agree that there's no beating a Skywagon at what it does :)

Last edited:
A Scout is in the exact same alley as a supercub. Supercubs can do one thing well... takeoff and land short. But the control harmony is just garbage, the plane is uncomfortable and not very easy to get into or out of or load things well.

With my arthritis I bet I couldn't get into a Cub anymore. If I did I wouldn't be able to get out. The Champ/Citabria is a different, much easier piece of cake.

I'm actually considering putting a Citabria on floats. My only reservation is the wood spar thing.

You aren't ruined yet, just slightly damaged. :D

Try out a taildragging RV and see how you like it. Then, try a Pitts. Nothing like the first flight in an S1 to get the juices flowing knowing it is all on you to get it back down. In the meantime, you just have to use the slightest pressure to make it go where you want. Of course, for pure fun, I find it hard to beat my J-3 Cub. Nothing like a nice fall evening with the doors wide open.

I'm pretty much ruined with an RV-4 and J-3...and by brother's Pitts when I need to scratch that itch. :D

RV4J3Split.jpg

Last edited:
Y'all are going to have to quit posting pictures, or I won't be able to get any work done!

Back