Am I ready for the written exam (PPL)?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Hey guys,

So I have been studying quite a bit...I completed the King Course along with going through all 766 questions AGAIN and then doing all three Practice Exams with scores of 91.7, 93.3, 91.7.

All the calculation based problems are no problem...but I am finding it very difficult to remember every single conceptual question, especially ones about Airspace and Weather (so many things to know for these two categories). I am going to go through all the Airspace and Weather questions again.

I am thinking after I do this I should be ready?

I say your close. What specific troubles are you having with airspaces and weather?

We might be able to provide a few memory aids on those. Such as "Three 152's" for visibility and cloud clearances.

If you're constantly getting over 80% on UPDATED practice tests you'll do just fine.

Yea, my last random practice test gave me about a 81% and preset tests 1:91% 2:85% and 3:94%. and thats exactly what I got on the real thing that same day I took the random one.

81%

Oh, and King Schools gives you an endorsement print out to take the test once you satisfy their prerequisites.

During the test I used the scratch paper to mark how many questions I thought I may have been not 100% sure on and made sure I didn't exceed the total that would land me below 75%. Worked out well for me.

Last edited:
Yeah your ready. I ran through the gleim crash course got the exact same score on the actual as the practice stuff. It takes about 15 minutes cause the actual test has the exact same questions as the practice.

Multiple scores of 85 or better pretty much assure passing the test. Go for it.

Alright guys - think I am going to take it next weekend!

I had about the same scores when I did my PPL written and scored a 96. It's much easier (in my opinion) once you get in there and start taking it.

I just took the IRA for my Instrument Rating and scored an 87 while making 85's and 90's on my practice tests. I found that the longer I waited, the more nervous I got.

Go ahead and take it!

What's your instructor think? He or she (or some instructor) must endorse you to take the knowledge test.

What's your instructor think? He or she (or some instructor) must endorse you to take the knowledge test.

??King Schools endorses me...I don't have an instructor right now..I am doing Ground School before I start flight training...

I am scheduled at 10AM for next Saturday

You do know you only have to get a 70, right? You'll be fine. You'll likely get a score somewhere in the 90's which will in turn put the examiner in a good mood when he starts your oral exam.

??King Schools endorses me...I don't have an instructor right now..I am doing Ground School before I start flight training...

One less thing you have to worry about! That's the way I should have done it. Just don't take too long. If you take over two years to complete training, then you have to take the test over again.

Got a 95% on the exam this morning for anyone who is curious

Can't wait to start flying...I just want to fly!

Got a 95% on the exam this morning for anyone who is curious

You are an over achiever, aint ya? 25% over to be precised.

Congrats none the less... now get out there, find that CFI, and commit some aviation!!! :yes: :yes:

Good on you, now get going on the fun part. Learning by wrote is not even in the same ball park as really getting to do the fun stuff!

FWIW, there is still actually an instructor at King that is endorsing you, presumeably with evidence from passed practice tests. Congratulations on passing...go get an instructor and do some flight training!

i did sportys ground school on my ipad.
had to score 80% or better on 2 practice tests to get an endorsement.
i scored about 87% on one and 83% on the other, right after i just got done watching all the videos.
i scheduled the real test the next week and scored an 85%.
after that i called up a cfi and began my flight training, he is just an individual cfi here locally and was very happy i had already done my medical/student license and already took my knowledge test and passed with a descent score.

Last edited:
i did sportys ground school on my ipad.
had to score 80% or better on 2 practice tests to get an endorsement.
i scored about 87% on one and 83% on the other, right after i just got done watching all the videos.
i scheduled the real test the next week and scored an 85%.
after that i called up a cfi and began my flight training, he is just an individual cfi here locally and was very happy i had already done my medical/student license and already took my knowledge test and passed with a descent score.

Yea...got my medical and knowledge test done...should start flying here in the next two weeks.

Yea...got my medical and knowledge test done...should start flying here in the next two weeks.

Do we need to start a betting pool on when you take your checkride? :yes:

I'd bet before me, apparently I'm a slow learner. :)

Do we need to start a betting pool on when you take your checkride? :yes:

Haha idk...my dad got his at 42 hours...but I "expect" that I will be in that 55-60 hour range...

Congratulations..! Wish you all the best for your future. God bless you.

Congrats on the exam. If you took the exam before even starting to fly be careful not to lose the information. It will likely we be a while before you take your practical and it's easy to forget things you learned from the book and practice tests. The practical will consist of oral questions that will distinguish between wrote learning and actually knowing and applying material. So continue to to review your books, AIM etc and make sure you are understanding what you learned in the books while in the airplane.
Have fun. Wish I had done it years ago!

Back