Am I ready for the IFR written?

GBSoren

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GBSoren
I've completed the King online course and am now taking the "random" question practice tests. My bad scores are around 80, good scores around 90. I "educated guess" the long math problems, I know how to do them and just don't want to take the time.

I feel ready, actually a lot more comfortable now than when I took the PPL written. But I'd like some opinions of those who've recently taken the test. Are the practice test representative of the actual IFR written?

Opinions....ready....keep studying....or do ________ before you proceed. (fill in the blank)

Take the time to do em, you have plenty of time on the real test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also a better score pays off when the oral exam time comes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which practice tests are you taking?

I've completed the King online course and am now taking the "random" question practice tests. My bad scores are around 80, good scores around 90. I "educated guess" the long math problems, I know how to do them and just don't want to take the time.

I feel ready, actually a lot more comfortable now than when I took the PPL written. But I'd like some opinions of those who've recently taken the test. Are the practice test representative of the actual IFR written?

Opinions....ready....keep studying....or do ________ before you proceed. (fill in the blank)
I just took the IFR written two weeks ago. The practice test questions are only examples, and are not the actual test questions. If you are getting 80-90 because you know the material (and not because you have the questions/answers memorized) you should be fine.

I've been taking the practice tests that are part of the King course. To print your endorsement you have to pass 3 practice test at over 80%, that was easy, because if you don't pass it the first time it's the exact same test the second time. After you've passed them you can take "random question" exams as many times as you'd like. I'm sure I've take 20, and have never scored below 70, but I read how hard the IFR written is and it makes me nervous. That's why I question if the FAA written is similar to the King versions.

I used the Sporty's prep and the questions on the IFR written were mostly different. I had two long-calculation navigation questions and got both right. I got an 87 on the real test. If you can consistently get 85 on the practice tests, I think you'll do fine as long as you are not just memorizing answers.

When you're averaging over 80% you'll be fine.

I used the Sporty's prep and the questions on the IFR written were mostly different. I had two long-calculation navigation questions and got both right. I got an 87 on the real test. If you can consistently get 85 on the practice tests, I think you'll do fine as long as you are not just memorizing answers.

When you take the random questions tests you get a lot of new questions, so you really need to know the answers. You do see some questions that you've had before, but they are mostly new.

I was getting in the low-mid 90's on my practice tests, ended up with a 87% because there were two BS questions that hit me out of left field and one I just was dumb and didn't read the question properly. So you factor in 3-4 questions like that and compare it against what you're normally scoring to determine your margin of error.

You'll be fine, go get er' done!

This isn't me, but it could be me. I'm getting mid-high 90s now on the Dauntless app. I'm down to where the only questions I usually miss are the stupid "what CAS would you need for the filed TAS", and the cross country planning type questions. I figured out how to set up the E6-B for the former, and will just skip the single questions with a ton of steps.

We'll see. When the FAA decided to make a bad test, the game became "pass the test" rather than "learn (and have respect for) the material".

I was getting high 70s on my practice tests. Said screw it and wanted to get it out of the way, ended up with a 90. And one miss was a silly mistake.

I say take it.

You'll do fine on the written. Most people put more thought & effort into the real test than they do practice exams.

If you were my student I'd push you to take it. It was students that I know hadn't studied hard & thought the test was going to be easy that I saw fail.

Over-confidence can be a bad thing. Since you're so concerned & seem dedicated I'm sure you'll pass.

Take a breath & relax.

If you understand the material,you should be ready. Give it a try,and good luck.

Back