Am I legal to fly?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
I own a Cirrus SR22, but will not have my medical for this month awaiting BasicMed on 5/1. Can I fly my plane in the left seat (not as PIC!) with a buddy who's current (instrument, multi, complex, etc.) acting as PIC? He has zero Cirrus experience, but is current in every other respect, including instrument.

I would think not (no Cirrus experience), but I'm being told yes.​

I don't see how this setup would meet insurance company requirements. You = no medical; PIC = no time in type (unlikely to meet any open pilot clauses, which would prevent a subrogation suit against the other guy).

Yes, it's "legal" assuming your friend is current to act as PIC (takeoffs/landings, BFR, medical, etc.). Will you be covered by your insurance? Unlikely, but that doesn't render it "illegal."

Per the FAA, if he's willing to accept being PIC, you're good to fly. The FAA does not care which seat the PIC flies from. So, yeah, you're legal, or should I say, he's legal, so your state doesn't matter.

As mentioned above, though, it's probably not a good idea. I doubt your insurance company would be too happy with the arrangement. Check your policy. And should anything happen, the FAA would question both his judgement and yours. By acting as PIC, he's putting his ticket on the line. If there's any sort of incident or accident, your insurance may not pay and the FAA is likely to follow with enforcement action.

enforcement action for what? .....legal IMHO.

You're accepting risk....that your insurance company may not assume.

My insurance allows any pilot who is current and has logged at least 300 hours. Not sure about yours insurance, but the point is, you may not necessarily be screwed. A Cirrus is just a fixed gear single. Nothing special about it that should require further endorsements or anything, right?

Asking the obvious (to me) question: Why not just got get a normal Third?

Thanks for the quick responses. Checking with my insurance co!

My insurance allows any pilot who is current and has logged at least 300 hours. Not sure about yours insurance, but the point is, you may not necessarily be screwed. A Cirrus is just a fixed gear single. Nothing special about it that should require further endorsements or anything, right?

The insurance for my 22T required an IPC for me. I imagine OP will need a CSIP in the right seat but just depends on policy I guess.

Edit: IPC in type

My open pilot clause in my plane requires 750 total, 250 multi and 25 time in type. I would think a Cirrus would have at least some time in type?

Back