Am I crazy for trying this?

Profile climb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Profile climb
I am 54 and starting flight training and wanting to do this as a career. I’m encouraged by many pilots saying there is a pilot shortage and to go for it. I am single with no obligations.

I am 54 and starting flight training and wanting to do this as a career. I’m encouraged by many pilots saying there is a pilot shortage and to go for it. I am single with no obligations.

Yes you are crazy but it’s a good kind of crazy.

Go for it! You only pass thru this life once, as far as I know anyway. Good luck.

No sir I am 100% with you. I am 39 and starting over completely. I soloed when I was 16, finished cross countries by 18 and then just stopped. Looking forward to Following along with you as I start from scratch.

Not crazy. Just going to need a big enough bankroll to cover costs of training through CPL and CFI/CFII and time building until you can be paid to fly. Then dedicate the time/effort to continue building time toward what is needed tone hired by a 135/121 outfit.

One suggestion... don’t embark on this until you are debt free and have enough emergency fund saved to withstand a very long term of none or low income. And the emergency fund is not to be used to fund flying.

One more suggestion. Unless you already have a valid FAA medical, do a lot of research on what can disqualify you before you make any appointments with an AME.

What else are you gonna do, wait until you get younger? :) Go for it. But I suggest you not limit your career options to airlines.

Im also a full time Lyft driver in LA so I have that going for me.

I have to agree with the medical. I thought I was all OK for a 3rd class medical until I went for it and failed due to several vision problems. I was 64 at the time, and didn't realize how time can take it's toll. After several visits to a cooperating Opthalmologist, and a ton of paperwork to the FAA, I was able to squeak by with restrictions. A 1st class medical (required for Airline Transport Pilot) is much more demanding. But, if you don't try, you won't fly! Good Luck!

Go for it,there is no mandatory retirement in the 135 field.

I have to agree with the medical. I thought I was all OK for a 3rd class medical until I went for it and failed due to several vision problems. I was 64 at the time, and didn't realize how time can take it's toll. After several visits to a cooperating Opthalmologist, and a ton of paperwork to the FAA, I was able to squeak by with restrictions. A 1st class medical (required for Airline Transport Pilot) is much more demanding. But, if you don't try, you won't fly! Good Luck!

Good example. It's best to have high certainty you will pass before you ever send anything to the FAA. Some AMEs will do a consultation and help determine whether or not you will pass before you go for score.. There are a few AMEs (Dr. Bruce Chien being one) who specialize in difficult cases should you have some type of complication or potentially disqualifying condition.

Do it! Also, your [ahem] distinguished look will give your passengers the confidence of having an *experienced* pilot. ;D

I say go for it, but I am crazy too. I was planning on retiring from my current job at about that age and doing the same thing, but for fun.

Back