Am I crazy for flying to Gaston's?

sba55

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
sba55
I just looked at the attendee list on the website. It looks like I'm flying at least 500NM farther than anyone else on there (1400NM or so). By myself, even.

I need a reality check. Is that crazy?

We need more people from the West Coast....

-Felix

Not if you have the time and resources. Heck I'd be taking long trips every month if I could. Flying is just to cool, and the ability to go to fun places to boot and bypass the TSA! Oh yeah. I have to fly on AA first of May to DFW for a wedding. If I had a faster plane than the 172, I'd fly myself there rather than endure the airlines.

Have fun for the rest of us west coasters.
Ron

Hook up with Joe Areda
I've already offered to give him a ride. We'll see if he has the time...

Not if you have the time and resources. Heck I'd be taking long trips every month if I could. Flying is just to cool, and the ability to go to fun places to boot and bypass the TSA! Oh yeah. I have to fly on AA first of May to DFW for a wedding. If I had a faster plane than the 172, I'd fly myself there rather than endure the airlines.

Have fun for the rest of us west coasters.
Ron
Hey Ron, you're welcome to come along. It's only ~3 days.

-Felix

I have been to a bunch of these fly ins, and no matter how far I go, someone comes from further.

My first trip to Gastons, Michael beat me by about 400nm.
My second trip to Gastons, Adam/Dave beat me by about 200nm
My trip to 6Y9, Richard beat me by coming from California.
My third trip to Gastons, Joe Areeda beat me (after I moved even further west).

I think its a given that I'll never be the one that comes the furthest. lol

I just looked at the attendee list on the website. It looks like I'm flying at least 500NM farther than anyone else on there (1400NM or so). By myself, even.

No, Felix, that isn't crazy. :) You love to fly and you have a nice airplane for long trips. And you want to spend time with people who have a similar love and with whom you have a common bond. Not crazy at all.

We need more people from the West Coast....
You might want to post on the red board and the purple board if you are offering a seat. I imagine there are a lot of people who would love to ride along with you in order to attend the fly-in. What about Mike Q?

I have been to a bunch of these fly ins, and no matter how far I go, someone comes from further.
I sorta know how you feel. I never will be the farthest for a flying, but for sev4eral banjo things they are jsut not used to people coming from afar. At one event at Ft. Flagler near Port Twonsend ,WA it started to look like I was from the farthest away. But alas, there was one person who came in from Norway! Figure, Darn Norwegians always messing stuff up! :rofl::rofl:

Not at all, unless you've got a small child at home who's going hungry so you can pay for the avgas. :goofy:

Hey Ron, you're welcome to come along. It's only ~3 days.

Yes Ron, you must! Will and Jason should be there too, so maybe you can hit them up for a room. I think they're gonna airline it to MSN and ride with me, though. I think riding with Felix would be MUCH more fun. :D

My first trip to Gastons, Michael beat me by about 400nm.
My second trip to Gastons, Adam/Dave beat me by about 200nm
My trip to 6Y9, Richard beat me by coming from California.
My third trip to Gastons, Joe Areeda beat me (after I moved even further west).

I think its a given that I'll never be the one that comes the furthest. lol

Nick... You should come to the FlyBQ. I flew the furthest last year, and you'd beat me, hands down! Heck, I might not even get that award this year, with any luck I'll be flying from UGN and Grant and Leslie will have me beat... Just barely.

Not at all, unless you've got a small child at home who's going hungry so you can pay for the avgas. :goofy:

Yes Ron, you must! Will and Jason should be there too, so maybe you can hit them up for a room. I think they're gonna airline it to MSN and ride with me, though. I think riding with Felix would be MUCH more fun. :D

Nick... You should come to the FlyBQ. I flew the furthest last year, and you'd beat me, hands down! Heck, I might not even get that award this year, with any luck I'll be flying from UGN and Grant and Leslie will have me beat... Just barely.

Ooh - how could I forget the FlyBQ?? I flew commercially up there, thinking for sure I'd be furthest....

Michael came too :D He's in AZ.

Unless you're planning to head out over the lake, you'll still have us beat coming from UGN. And Felix, Diana and Tom will be hitting Gastons soon after their CA trip, where they're going to San Francisco, so you could say they're coming from CA too!:yes: Do it. It'll be FUN!

Unless you're planning to head out over the lake, you'll still have us beat coming from UGN. And Felix, Diana and Tom will be hitting Gastons soon after their CA trip, where they're going to San Francisco, so you could say they're coming from CA too!:yes: Do it. It'll be FUN!
Oh, that's true. Thanks, that's just the justification I was looking for!

-Felix

No, Felix, that isn't crazy. :) You love to fly and you have a nice airplane for long trips. And you want to spend time with people who have a similar love and with whom you have a common bond. Not crazy at all.

You might want to post on the red board and the purple board if you are offering a seat. I imagine there are a lot of people who would love to ride along with you in order to attend the fly-in. What about Mike Q?
I've invited Mike, but he's been very busy for the last few months.

Maybe you could encourage him to come along...it's always useful to have ATC in the cockpit with you :)

-Felix

Yes, I'll be heading over the lake. Why else would I rent a twin? ;) :D
Wait a second. If you're coming in a twin over the lake, YOU pick up EdFred in GRR! You won't have our W&B issues! Otherwise, if we do it, we'd have you beat hands-down for distance flown.

Wait a second. If you're coming in a twin over the lake, YOU pick up EdFred in GRR! You won't have our W&B issues! Otherwise, if we do it, we'd have you beat hands-down for distance flown.

Well, I'd happily give Ed the return trip, but the reason Kate is going on an airliner is that I'm going to use the trip as the long solo XC for the comm multi, so I've gotta go solo - or, if Ed wants to get his MEI, I could take him. LOL

I am trying to make it but if I do I'll be coming from Michigan. Viveca and I are going to see my family for a second wedding reception dinner.

I'm still not 100% sure of the timing.

Joe

If you can make it over my way, you're welcome to ride with me. I normally don't go for the whole weekend though.

-lance

sba55. I sent you a PM and I might be able to fly with you. Lets talk it over. Bob "skybobb" Bement.

Yup, you're a looney.
But at least you won't land at an airport in Missouri by mistake!:blueplane:

sba55. I sent you a PM and I might be able to fly with you. Lets talk it over. Bob "skybobb" Bement.
Got it. See your inbox.

Suddenly, this is becoming quite the full flight. I think we might be up to 4 people now. Awesome! 4 pilots are better than one :yes:

-Felix

Got it. See your inbox.

Suddenly, this is becoming quite the full flight. I think we might be up to 4 people now. Awesome! 4 pilots are better than one :yes:

-Felix

...so who else besides the "old" man (not old, 'cause he don't act old)?

Felix, I won't take your greatest effort award, as I already have one. I came the farthest the first year that I attended at Gaston's. So your award is safe with me. Bob

...so who else besides the "old" man (not old, 'cause he don't act old)?

Spike, On the purple board a while back, One of the posters had an article about an old 73 year old man that was confused and got out in the airport at Miami International and drove down runway 9. I posted this video from a confused 73 year old:

Spike, On the purple board a while back, One of the posters had an article about an old 73 year old man that was confused and got out in the airport at Miami International and drove down runway 9. I posted this video from a confused 73 year old:

Are you flying a TURBINE Cessna? It sure sounds like it! ;):yes:

Nice video...

Wow, great approach... thanks for that video, Bob.

Thanks Troy, By the way is that extra room you had earlier still available or is it taken? If I get back there I will need a place to put an old set of bones. You can PM or let me know here. Thanks in advance. Bob PS. I am a non-smoker.

I have one room in one of those "ultra deluxe" cottages. Ed said he might take it, but if he doesn't, it's available.

Yup, you're a looney.
But at least you won't land at an unlit airport in Missouri at night by mistake!:blueplane:
There, fixed it for ya! :)

(Yeah, I know it wasn't unlit, but the intended airport was!)
:rofl:

Oh, and it looks as if we'll likely have a room in an Ultra Deluxe available too. PM me if you're interested!

Last edited:

Awesome, Bob! :yes: I can't wait to do some of that myself later this summer when I head out that way. :)

Now that approach is cool. Nobody can complain about flying in to Gaston's after seeing this.

I have one room in one of those "ultra deluxe" cottages. Ed said he might take it, but if he doesn't, it's available.

I won't be at Gaston's this year. No plane. No one coming from Michigan who can supply a ride, and since I work with family, we can't have 3 of us gone at the same time. 2 already are gone that Friday/Monday to go digging for emeralds.

BTW, how are you packing 4 people into a Bo? You're only going to be able to take about 15 gallons of fuel on at a time, and that's if no one brings any baggage.

I won't be at Gaston's this year. No plane. No one coming from Michigan who can supply a ride, and since I work with family, we can't have 3 of us gone at the same time. 2 already are gone that Friday/Monday to go digging for emeralds.

BTW, how are you packing 4 people into a Bo? You're only going to be able to take about 15 gallons of fuel on at a time, and that's if no one brings any baggage.
Oh that's too bad. I'd pick you up, but MI really is a long ways away.

4 people isn't a problem at all with full fuel. The IO520+ Bonanzas are true 4 people airplanes. We've got 750 lbs payload with fuel full (80 g) and I weigh only 145 lbs. If I had the tip tanks (which I will one way or another by the end of the year), that'd increase to about 950 lbs with 80 gallons. 80 gallons = 5:45 @ 170 KTAS. And, realistically, it's probably more like 6:15 in an emergency, since I can use 40.2 gallons out of each tank, not just 37 as advertised. Not bad. Keep in mind that the V35 and later were designed as 6 people airplanes and, with the tip tanks, it's about as close as any other 6 person single I can think of.

Anyways, given that my normal flights are about 3 1/2 hours max, and I only need 50 gallons for that+reserves, I effectively have a 600 NM range with 880 lbs in the cabin. I love Bonanzas :)

-Felix

Last edited:
Back