Am I allowed to overfly Cuba enroute to Caymans from Key West?

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
Anyone done it? Radio procedures? Links to blog? I wanna go to Caymans without stopping at Cancun. I have the gas, just don't know the procedure.

You have to apply to Cuba for an overflight permit. Not as daunting as it sounds. I have done it 4 times, but the paperwork was done for me by my company dispatchers.

Link to Cuban airspace management, or any ideas whom to contact specifically?

thanks

Anyone done it? Radio procedures? Links to blog? I wanna go to Caymans without stopping at Cancun. I have the gas, just don't know the procedure.

Yep, you can get an overflight permit from the Cubans, it will be IFR and you will have reporting points. All altitudes are reported as Flight Levels regardless how low, i.e."reporting Flight Level 075"....

Doc:

Easily done. Siciliano has done while flying his very lucky nieces around. Says the controllers are cordial and professional.

Grant is right. Carribean Flying Adventures is fastest and fortunately cheapest way to get the permit. Actually it's just a four digit number you put in your IOCA IFR flight plan. I've gone over and back 18 times. The controllers speak excellent English and are very accommodating.

Actually, I didn't need the overfly permit when flying from the Keys to Mexico as I stayed in the outer ADIZ. To pass over, one does need the permit. I'd call an FSS that is familiar like Miami and ask. That's what I did. With LM, don't know.

Are you registered at fltplan.com? Send them an e-mail and ask.

Best,

Dave

From KEYW to Grand Caymen you overfly Cuba unless you want to add a lot of overwater miles...a lot more than saving the $35 or whatever to get the permission. TADPO is the way into Cuban airspace, ATUVI is the way out and G or UG 448 is the airway. As far as I know Jeppe$$en is the only chart source. Try to borrow what you need. You must be IFR. Easy.

Last edited:
Back