Always Speak Up!

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
Airport: My home base is Freeway Airport, in Mitchellville,MD. The airport is literally as close to the FRZ as you can get without TSA approval in a GA aircraft. If you do too long of a base, you hit powerlines before you enter the FRZ. The runway is 2400ft x 40ft with a built in, no charge variable wind of about 10kts, gusting to 30 somedays.Rwys are 18/36. At the end of 18 are 50-100ft trees, 200-1000ft from the rwy. At the end of 36 (10ft from the end) is an eight lane highway, US Route 50. To the west are 150ft powerlines.

Weather: Was unusual for late May in the DC area as rain showers were present to the west, moving east at about 12kts.temp was 75F. Scattered showers with a few thunderstorms about 15nm away moving NE. Visibility was at 5 miles, overcast at 2000.Winds were at 24, gusting to 45. I don't remember the exact direction, but the windsocks looked like a Jet Ranger spooling up...

Time: Preflight/Briefing-1204Z, 8:04am local T/O-1223Z,8:23 local

Airplane: Cessna 172, equip code U

Story:
For my 16th birthday I scheduled myself another lesson. I had about 8hrs (8.1 when I recheck my logbook) the day of the lesson. On the way to the field I noted that the wind would shake the car here and there. I expected a ground lesson. Upon arriving and finding out that YES we are going to fly I was too dumb and excited to second guess a professional's judgement. If he says we can go, WE CAN GO! :) My new CFI isn't like the few I had before, he gives me more freedom (not always a good thing.) He filed the flight plan and got a squawk code (this is in the SFRA) as I started the plane and taxied us out to do run-up. The skies were suddenly dark and rain began to fall as we completed before take off checks. Takeoff was normal except for my stomach feeling uneasy, but I paid that no mind. On the way out to the practice area (DEALE) we noted fast storms moving in. My CFI remarked that I might get some actual IMC time in today and that we would go with the plan, diverting if needed. About 8 minutes out we were getting cornered by t-storms, I have never felt so sick flying before. I have read enough NTSB reports to know where this is going to go...

About 10 minutes into flight, he remarked how well I was flying this time ( I kept our 1000ft msl altitude exactly.) About a minute after that comment he told me to make a clearing turn, as we were going to check (visually) the weather behind us. The weather at DEALE was beginning to become stormy and we were 6nm out. We became surrounded and then came the wind! Full left, full right, full rudder! Still changing headings! He watched me get us back to normal and critiqued my fancywork. As we began a turn to clear the area so that we could linger a bit, thats when the airplane shook as if all hell had broken loose. (It felt like the recent earthquake for those of you in VA,WV,DC,MD especially.) We watched the rpm drop by about 300, the airplane was firmly in the CFI's hands and level. We watched and watched and luckily it went back to cruise! No engine out, for now. After that we decided to fly about 200ft higher (highest we go before clearing that portion of airspace) for the extra time for when the engine failed. The controls were once again mine. My CFI told me to head back and pick out fields along the way, if the engine failed I get emergency training and maybe will land it myself. We hit heavy rain about as soon as we turned around and visibility was about a mile. We ended up skimming the bottoms of clouds, luckily the wind was calm. On the flight before this I did a similar mistake flying in 40kt winds, we went 130kts at 2300rpm in a 70's 172! I had fell for it again!

We made it back safely and I handed over the controls to the CFI to land. We essentially had one shot at this landing as we are a potential glider and can't go around. He put her down a bit like I (a student) would have but we were on the ground. Total time "earned" that day was .5hrs... His debriefing was about how he felt that we couldn't do pattern work (the weather at W00 was clear now btw) because of the engine sputter.

Lessons:

• If you're uncomfortable, speak up. I could have very well been the 16yr old who died before he could solo. My CFI could have died as well as people on the ground.

• You don't have to fly...Hardest one to learn

• CFI's aren't perfect, neither are XX,XXXhr ATP's with more hours airborne than you've been alive. I won't be afraid to point out a part of the accident chain when I see it again!

• I realized that I am just as much at fault for not saying anything or questioning my uneasiness. I felt sick as soon as it began to rain and when I saw yellow,orange, red, purple, and black in the same screen, our little airplane just a few miles ahead.

• Wait it out! 23 minutes later the weather was blue sky! If I would have preflighted (in the case of the weather clearing up) and then said we shouldn't go, let's talk about emergencies or landings, I would have flown and gotten training in landings (my next lesson)!

• All of the safety courses you take, books you read, NTSB reports read, safety videos watched, theory drilled into you is worthless unless you actually use it :(

I feel lucky that the small little things didn't add up into an AOPA real pilot story, NTSB report, or life insurance check for either of our families. I am glad in a way that this occurred because I thought "oh those pilots made silly mistakes" or that my CFI (and I) wouldn't do that! I read NTSB reports and look for trends and I read just about every aviation magazine there is (in the US at least) and think that it can't happen to me, especially in TRAINING! I found out that I was wrong and I finally get how even without pressure to go, or being a newbie, if you don't break the chain, you better have won the lottery! It is helpful in a way to be a student pilot and then finally see what wen wrong and how,yes, you did not intervene!

P.S. The airplane was actually due for a 100hr in 6hrs and TBO in a couple hundred. The mechanics did the 100hr after our flight. Apparently the cause was carb icing, exactly what I asked my CFI about once airborne. I asked if we should use CH the entire flight, he said "Neh, shouldn't need it. We'll keep an eye out though."

This should result in "I'll wait till later" (unless you're flying a donated heart, or avoiding cataclysm on the ground):

Scattered showers with a few thunderstorms about 15nm away moving NE. Visibility was at 5 miles, overcast at 2000.Winds were at 24, gusting to 45

Well, you had a great lesson! Even if it wasn't what you'd anticipated. You learned some very valuable things from that and lived to tell the tale.

Good for you and I hope that from now on you establish a list of personal minimums beyond which you will not go and stick with it even if someone else says you're "chicken" or " sure, it's OK, let's go" or "come on, (insert your name here), I thought you were a pilot" etc etc etc.

You may be younger or less experienced than you CFI or othe folks you will fly with but you know what you can do and feel comfortable doing and what you don't. Dont let other folks push you.

If someone ever calls you chicken ask them how flying near thunderstorms worked for Scott Crossfield (He flew into an imbedded thunderstorm and it ripped his plane apart)

This should result in "I'll wait till later" (unless you're flying a donated heart, or avoiding cataclysm on the ground):
I'll buy the second reason, but not the first. Better the heart gets there an hour later than not at all, or at least, that only the heart recipient dies. A misplaced sense of urgency has killed more military aviators and medevac crews than I have fingers and toes to count, and is the reason the FAA is working with industry to write tighter rules and risk management procedures for medevac operators.

Last edited:
I'll buy the second reason, but not the first. Better the heart gets there an hour later than not at all, or at least, that only the heart recipient dies. A misplaced sense of urgency has killed more military aviators and medevac crews than I have fingers and toes to count, and is the reason the FAA is working with industry to write tighter rules and risk management procedures for medevac operators.

Sorry, but the conditions the OP survived were survivable, as his post attests.

This is a great story and a great lesson learned. I remember flying in my early days and all I wanted to do was fly, not that pesky ground study stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Dan- is this implying that one should go?

No, but Ron's claim that a transplant flight wouldn't warrant launching is a whole 'nother case. The airplane would likely be better, the pilot more experienced, and the flight's purpose a bit more needful.

A good friend of mine is a MEDVAC pilot and they certainly launch in wx which is not typical GA flying weather. Different mission, different machines, different capabilities.

Thanks for the replies. I learned a lot that one day lol. Best lesson I've had so far and not just because the total bill was cheaper than an intro flight. For the money and lessons learned, definitely of great value. I wasn't pressured into going by anyone except for myself, the majority of the rest of the CFIs were in traffic or just getting there so no pressure on us to go. The heart issue, now having been through what I have, the heart would have to wait another 20 minutes (the time it took for clear blue skies)

Thanks for the replies. I learned a lot that one day lol. Best lesson I've had so far and not just because the total bill was cheaper than an intro flight. For the money and lessons learned, definitely of great value. I wasn't pressured into going by anyone except for myself, the majority of the rest of the CFIs were in traffic or just getting there so no pressure on us to go. The heart issue, now having been through what I have, the heart would have to wait another 20 minutes (the time it took for clear blue skies)

One of the best lessons any student can expereince is to plan a nice XC, get to the airport after a long day and a longer drive, call 1-800-WX-BRIEF only to learn the weather has changed at the destination.

That first No-Go decision is hard, but valuable. Better to learn it early, as you apparently have!

:thumbsup:

Your writing shows a high level of maturity for your age.
I wouldn't fly with that CFI again.

With that said, being able to distinguish cold feet, butterflies and a well-reasoned no-go decision is judgement that takes time to develop. Many pilots fail the test on the way to developing that judgement.

Good story! Sometimes CFIs learn hard lessons, too.

In the 1980s, I had a girlfriend (former student of mine) with a Cessna 170. She, my brother (also a pilot) and I flew up to Santa Rosa from Hayward to visit my folks for a couple days. It was around Christmas time, and, after hanging around most of the day with the family, it was time to head home. The weather for the entire route was between 2,000 and 2,500 overcast, good visability, winds 10-15kts out of the SW. Possible rain. It was about 4:30 pm, on a Sunday - we all had to work the next day. At the time, I was an ATP with about 4,000hrs. and flew 135 freight in Navajos. The 170, a B model, with vacuum-tube gyros and circa 1950s instrument lighting, one VOR without GS, and an engine that ran well but would get carb ice at the drop of a hat.

Both my brother and girlfriend entrusted me completely, but I solicited their opinion about the flight ahead. I told them that although the ceilings were pretty low for VFR, (and it would be dark soon) we had plenty of options to land - Santa Rosa Air Center, Petaluma, Gnoss, Napa, Buchanon and Oakland were close to our route. So, the plan was to follow hwy 101, stay below the clouds, and listen to the occasional ATIS for the weather ahead.

So, with the best of intentions, we waved goodbye to my folks, clambored in the 170 and headed southeast. The best laid plans... 15 minutes later, it's pouring rain, the visability has gone down to about a mile and about the only trace of ground contact I had was the headlights of the cars on 101. Yikes! Although I flew IFR every day, but my sense about flying IMC in the 170 was that I could spend the rest of my life in the first cloud I entered. We were able to barely make out Gnoss field, so we landed, pulled the mixture, and just sat there in the pelting rain.

If you ever find yourself airborne and unable to navigate, that's called an emergency!

We made it home that night, but I'll never forget that flight.

Good story! Sometimes CFIs learn hard lessons, too.

In the 1980s, I had a girlfriend (former student of mine) with a Cessna 170. She, my brother (also a pilot) and I flew up to Santa Rosa from Hayward to visit my folks for a couple days. It was around Christmas time, and, after hanging around most of the day with the family, it was time to head home. The weather for the entire route was between 2,000 and 2,500 overcast, good visability, winds 10-15kts out of the SW. Possible rain. It was about 4:30 pm, on a Sunday - we all had to work the next day. At the time, I was an ATP with about 4,000hrs. and flew 135 freight in Navajos. The 170, a B model, with vacuum-tube gyros and circa 1950s instrument lighting, one VOR without GS, and an engine that ran well but would get carb ice at the drop of a hat.

Both my brother and girlfriend entrusted me completely, but I solicited their opinion about the flight ahead. I told them that although the ceilings were pretty low for VFR, (and it would be dark soon) we had plenty of options to land - Santa Rosa Air Center, Petaluma, Gnoss, Napa, Buchanon and Oakland were close to our route. So, the plan was to follow hwy 101, stay below the clouds, and listen to the occasional ATIS for the weather ahead.

So, with the best of intentions, we waved goodbye to my folks, clambored in the 170 and headed southeast. The best laid plans... 15 minutes later, it's pouring rain, the visability has gone down to about a mile and about the only trace of ground contact I had was the headlights of the cars on 101. Yikes! Although I flew IFR every day, but my sense about flying IMC in the 170 was that I could spend the rest of my life in the first cloud I entered. We were able to barely make out Gnoss field, so we landed, pulled the mixture, and just sat there in the pelting rain.

If you ever find yourself airborne and unable to navigate, that's called an emergency!

We made it home that night, but I'll never forget that flight.

Another local pilot! Thanks for the story.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back