Altimeter is leaking

Robin Hood

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Robin Hood
My avionics man tells me that due to a leak in the altimeter casing, I will need to replace the altimeter. Now, I understand new equipment is always the best, but I’m all about saving where I can too. I noticed that there are lots of used altimeters for sale online. What are my chances at getting a good used altimeter, rather than going with something brand new?

Probably pretty good, given the Corningware panel conversions these days.

Another question, today when I was out flying it the altimeter wasn’t even reading the correct field elevation with the proper barometric setting. It was about 1-2 hundred feet off so I had to manually set to field elevation. Later after flying it was reading correct altitude with proper barometric setting. Is this something related to the leak?

They can also be repaired, have you priced that?
No I didn’t, the guy said it needs replaced and that I should buy a new one rather than used. I suppose it’s possible that it can be repaired

Repair or exchange would probably be the most affordable. If it's not within 75 feet of airport elevation when set to the correct baro, it's time to fix jt.

My avionics man tells me that due to a leak in the altimeter casing, I will need to replace the altimeter. Now, I understand new equipment is always the best, but I’m all about saving where I can too. I noticed that there are lots of used altimeters for sale online. What are my chances at getting a good used altimeter, rather than going with something brand new?

What is your criteria for a used altimeter? 40 years and never serviced doesn’t sound like a good deal.

I honestly would not buy a used one. Just get your OHed. AQI is pretty much the standard. Run from anything Kelly Aerospace. Too many complaints from their work. My MX won't even consider them. I asked why and got an earful.

I just had the six pack replaced on my Bonanza with the Dynon Skyview, so I should have the working altimeter from it (picking it up Tuesday) if interested.

I just had the six pack replaced on my Bonanza with the Dynon Skyview, so I should have the working altimeter from it (picking it up Tuesday) if interested.
I did not see your message until today but if you still have the working altimeter I would be interested.

Another question, today when I was out flying it the altimeter wasn’t even reading the correct field elevation with the proper barometric setting. It was about 1-2 hundred feet off so I had to manually set to field elevation. Later after flying it was reading correct altitude with proper barometric setting. Is this something related to the leak?

Probably not.

The altimeter case should be at ambient air pressure, as sensed at the static port. A leaky case would allow it to measure the pressure in the cabin. On the ground with no wind, there should be no difference. But in flight, or in a strong enough wind, Bernoulli tells us the cabin - and hence the altimeter case - will be experiencing slightly less pressure as air is sucked out of the cabin due to the lower pressure outside. So a leaky altimeter case should logically read a tad high in flight.

I would have no problem buying an overhauled altimeter, and have in the past.

send it in and have it IRAN'd....Quality Aircraft Ins will do it for a few $$$$hundred. No biggie.

Back