Alternatives to Plexus?

50kttailwind

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
50kttailwind
I'm late to the party. My 2 cans are finally running on fumes, and to my wonderful surprise I see this is now out of stock everywhere.

What are some good alternatives before I attempt Pledge on the windshield?

^^^^What he said^^^^ Lemon Pledge, really. You can buy large cans at Lowes or Home Depot.

Hmm really? Any issues with excessive residue or flying through light precipitation? Apply it and wipe it just like Pledge?
No issues. Use it just like any other cleaner/polish. The wax helps bug come off much easier than Plexus in my experience. I was concerned about interaction with the plastic but several pilots who have been using it on the same windscreen for many years have not seen adverse effects. In one case it was a '68 (IIRC) 182 that has seen only Lemon Pledge since the late '70's and, other than usual fine scratches on such an old windscreen, no yellowing or crazing.

Rich, I purchased PlanePerfect and it seems to work fine... but the spray bottle nozzle leaked a bunch during flights. I twisted the nozzle to try to stop the drip but to no avail... Rich, do you have a special trick?
Ouch, that's a bummer. Sorry, I don't have a trick. I rarely bring mine in the plane, so haven't personally had that problem. And, back when I was involved with the company, I don't recall anyone having that issue. Maybe you got a bum nozzle? Drop them a note and I bet they will send you a new one.

I have been using Dam for years now. I fly a lot and just about finished my 2nd gallon. I like it a lot, I use it in a zep spray bottle and use plenty to lube my window and to soften the bugs just about everyday during the summer. Good stuff and cheaper than plexus imo.

Clear View. Just like Plexus only cheaper and smells much better.

Used Pledge.

Had a chance to try Brillianize. It’s good stuff. Spray bottle. Ran out.

Went back to Pledge.

Found cans of Prist at Goodyear airport. I like it. If I can find it again, I’ll buy more.

If not, then I’m going back to Pledge. Easy to find, easy to use.

Another Pledge user. Works fine, cheap, easy to find on the aviation aisle of any grocery store or Dollar General.

Whatever you use, wipe in one direction only (like downward), not in a circular pattern. A circular pattern will result in swirl marks which produce much worse glare.

Another alternative might be Honda Spray. I've used it on my bikes for many years and it works great, but I haven't tried it on the plane. I see no reason it wouldn't work just as well, though. https://www.partzilla.com/product/h...OuR29CoR-Ah4x3aoTZqjhIuVaQc_icVhoC91MQAvD_BwE

210 or pledge ,the pledge is a cheaper substitute that works.

Your experience may vary but I have used RainX aerosol cleaner for quite some time. I’ve had no negative issues with it and beads water as would expect so great for light precipitation or morning dew and fog. Granted it’s not advertised for acrylic but again, I’ve personally not had any issues.

Drop by your local motorcycle dealer and pickup a can of either "Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish" or "Original Bike Spirits: Spray Cleaner & Polish". Either product works much better than Pledge IMO.

The actual question at this point of the conversation should be "What Not to use on Plexiglass Windshields?"

Often pilots have used 'glass cleaner' like Windex with very negative results. Don't use ammonia.

Many Twin pilots like to use RainX so the water beads up and blows away. The propeller does a good job of that on singles. There's also a couple products over the years that are developed to help shed ice. I like products that are readily available so they get used more often. If you're paying $25 a can you'll hesitate to use it. Then it doesn't matter how good it is if you don't use it regularly.

Many Twin pilots like to use RainX so the water beads up and blows away. The propeller does a good job of that on singles. There's also a couple products over the years that are developed to help shed ice.
What I would like to see is a product that makes bug spatter bead up and blow away.

Your experience may vary but I have used RainX aerosol cleaner for quite some time. I’ve had no negative issues with it and beads water as would expect so great for light precipitation or morning dew and fog. Granted it’s not advertised for acrylic but again, I’ve personally not had any issues.
My late FIL was a traveling salesman. I inherited his stach of garage chemicals. He had like 8-10 bottles of rainX in a several sizes and applicators. I have not used it since. Maybe I should try some of it if it is still good?
I was going through way too much plexus years ago and tried McFarlanes Dam. Like I said I like it and after using it a lot in the last 3-4 years. Rain beads off my windscreen nicely and the bugs come off pretty easy also.
IMG_1078.JPG

My late FIL was a traveling salesman. I inherited his stach of garage chemicals. He had like 8-10 bottles of rainX in a several sizes and applicators. I have not used it since. Maybe I should try some of it if it is still good?
I was going through way too much plexus years ago and tried McFarlanes Dam. Like I said I like it and after using it a lot in the last 3-4 years. Rain beads off my windscreen nicely and the bugs come off pretty easy also.
IMG_1078.JPG

May work good! I use the foaming aerosol can, but like I said, I’ve only used it about 2 years but no adverse issues.

Rich, I purchased PlanePerfect and it seems to work fine... but the spray bottle nozzle leaked a bunch during flights. I twisted the nozzle to try to stop the drip but to no avail... Rich, do you have a special trick?
Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne: The leak is caused by air pressure inside the bottle being higher than air pressure outside the bottle when the planes climbs. I solved that problem by loosening the cap on the bottle so the internal pressure constantly equalizes as the plane climbs and descends. That said, I also use Zepp Foaming glass cleaner spray. It's only ~ $4.00/can, so it's a LOT cheaper than Plexus and it does a better job of removing bugs that have dried on the windscreen during a long flight.

I'm late to the party. My 2 cans are finally running on fumes, and to my wonderful surprise I see this is now out of stock everywhere.

What are some good alternatives before I attempt Pledge on the windshield?

Just plain water on a 100% cotton white t-shirt. Then wipe off the water drops with micro-fiber to prevent water spots after its dried.

Back