Alternatives to 1300L?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Apparently 1300L is now illegal in Ohio, and I need some. What is a suitable alternative? Application is for a door seal.

Not a fan of breathing VOCs but we aren't going to be able to build anything soon.
Product cannot be purchased, sold or used in the states listed below. CA, CT, DC, DE, IL, IN, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA

Not a fan of breathing VOCs but we aren't going to be able to build anything soon.
Product cannot be purchased, sold or used in the states listed below. CA, CT, DC, DE, IL, IN, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA

Sheesh, might be time to order a few more cans. What next?

Doesn't look too far to fly to freedom from any of the affected states.

Attachments

• CACTDEILINMEMDMAMINHNJNYOHPARIVA.jpg
    CACTDEILINMEMDMAMINHNJNYOHPARIVA.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 7
MI isn't listed as a no use state on the 2013 MSDS. What cracks me up is that it's restricted due to high VOC content. But I legally ship stuff to OH that is 100% VOC content.

Sooo... No more de-ice boot changes? FWIW we noticed they started shipping tolulene free 1300L formula without telling anyone and Cessna (I think) said that formula was not approved, at least at that time.

I went to the store today to buy some more MEK..... Turns out they now only sell MEK substitute... That stuff is CRAP..... Pretty soon the guv will outlaw drinking water cause someone might drown in it...:mad2::mad2:

I went to the store today to buy some more MEK..... Turns out they now only sell MEK substitute... That stuff is CRAP..... Pretty soon the guv will outlaw drinking water cause someone might drown in it...:mad2::mad2:

Well the chemical dihydrogen monoxide is responsible for 100% of drowning deaths.

Yeah, I'm hoarding my bottle of genuine MEK. Fortunately at the rate I go through it, it ought to last me at least 20 years.

I don't recall the company I work for having issues with shipping 1300L.

Where are you at in Ohio? I just passed through with a fresh can. I'll be coming back through next week if you need some.

Where are you at in Ohio? I just passed through with a fresh can. I'll be coming back through next week if you need some.

Cincinnati. When would you be coming through? It'll be a few weeks before I'd be getting around to it anyway.

Isn't it funny how physics just will not accept the green idea of what 'should' work?

Ted:

The 1300L w/o toluene has been not approved by several companies. I have used Scotch-Weld 1357, another 3M product with good results. It has a bit more "open" time than 1300L. I have a friend who has used it on de-ice boots (even though I don't think is is approved by anyone) and has never had any trouble. He gave me a can of it and I have used it on several items, and I have found that it performs very well. I haven't checked into it, but it might be "banned" as well, but maybe it's flying under the radar. I used it on a door seal on my car, and it worked as well as 1300L, which I used on another car door seal.

I still have about 3/4 to 1/2 of a can of it. If you want to, PM me and we can meet halfway (I'm a little north of Dayton) and I'll give it to you. I'll never use it all before it dries out. It's only about a month or two old now, and I just used it last week on another (non-aviation) project and it worked great.

Last edited:
Cincinnati. When would you be coming through? It'll be a few weeks before I'd be getting around to it anyway.

It looks like I need to be coming through next Wed. July 3 late afternoon. I'm pulling a car trailer on I-70 eastbound. Is there any easy place in Dayton to leave the can of 1300L?

Back