Alternate missed instructions - GTN750

mryan75

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
mryan75
Hi all,

Let’s say before you begin an approach (this generally happens when you’re flying practice approaches in VMC), ATC says “missed approach instructions are climb straight ahead to 3,000, maintain VFR”. How would you deal with this using the 750 (or 650 for that matter)? When you reach the MAP, you have two options: activate the (published) missed approach, or remain suspended. I’m assuming you would want to hit “remain suspended” if anything (after you’re safely reconfigured and climbing away from the ground of course).

I know this is going to happen on my IR checkride Tuesday and of course I’ve had it happen before, but frankly I’ve never known what exactly is the right course of action. Checked the King GTN Course, the manual and Google, haven’t seen an answer to this specific question.

Thanks!

You follow instructions given. Most likely you be doing a follow up approach. That’s when you worry about the GPS, unless you were instructed to go to a different fix than that published missed.

Obviously you would fly what air traffic control gives you

As far the Garmin I've gone back and forth on this too but the last few times I just activated the missed.. feels like less keystrokes and then laterwords you can readily load a new approach or direct some fix or whatever once you're stable

^my rationale also being that if you suddenly lose comms or get disoriented or somehow goofed ATC instructions or get behind the plane at least you have some published safe procedure to follow already loaded..

I’d set the heading bug to runway heading or whatever the missed heading is. Get established in a climb and then worry about the gps. Switch to heading mode if it’s a coupled approach.

When you go missed, your first action items are survival ones, and have nothing to do with your GPS: full power to stop the descent; clean up the plane; climb. If examiner sees you distracted from those because of the GPS, that will definitely be a fail.

The GTN will keep you on your last course in the IAP while it's suspended. Once you're cleaned up, climbing steadily, and are above obstacles, spin the heading bug to a close approximation of your missed instructions, change your A/P to heading mode to track the bug, THEN take a deep breath and start playing with reprogramming the GPS.

1. File for what you want.
2. Fly what you get.
3. Log what you need.

When you go missed, your first action items are survival ones, and have nothing to do with your GPS: full power to stop the descent; clean up the plane; climb. If examiner sees you distracted from those because of the GPS, that will definitely be a fail.
:yeahthat: That's exactly why my first response was, ignore it.

The GTN will keep you on your last course in the IAP while it's suspended. Once you're cleaned up, climbing steadily, and are above obstacles, spin the heading bug to a close approximation of your missed instructions, change your A/P to heading mode to track the bug, THEN take a deep breath and start playing with reprogramming the GPS.
Definitely. But at some point you will still need to dismiss the suspend dialog box. I prefer to dismiss it without it telling me to go somewhere I am not supposed to - so "remain suspended." Then, when you have the time, make the changes you need, make what you want the active waypoint or leg, and then unsuspend.

Back