alpha, bravo, charlie, etc.....

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
Where the heck did this alphabet come from, what's it called when did it change from the army's version (able, baker...). I feel like I knew the answer to this, but someone asked me tonight, and I was stumped.
Thanks all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet
short excerpt:
"The first internationally recognized alphabet was adopted by the ITU in 1927. The experience gained with that alphabet resulted in several changes being made in 1932 by the ITU. The resulting alphabet was adopted by the International Commission for Air Navigation, the predecessor of the ICAO, and was used in civil aviation until World War II."

Well, I don't know when you were in the Army, but when I was in Army ROTC in college (early 1970s) we were using the Alpha, Bravo, etc phonetic alphabet. It's also the same one used in amateur radio. Only the police and similar organizations seem to be using the old Able, Baker, etc. phonetic alphabet. :D

Ghery said:
Well, I don't know when you were in the Army, but when I was in Army ROTC in college (early 1970s) we were using the Alpha, Bravo, etc phonetic alphabet. It's also the same one used in amateur radio. Only the police and similar organizations seem to be using the old Able, Baker, etc. phonetic alphabet. :D

They sure do. And they can get slightly irrate when you try to tell them a license plate number using aviation phonetic alphabet, lol. :D

Dustin said:
They sure do. And they can get slightly irrate when you try to tell them a license plate number using aviation phonetic alphabet, lol. :D
Well, out here in Mayberry the phonetics usually change without prior notice. EX: November one time, Nancy the next, Never the time after that.

Me: I'm calling to report an abandoned vehicle, Lic # 3 Kilo Sierra Foxtrot 5 5 Kilo November Victor .

Dispatch: Ok, that's 3 Karen Smile Fred 5 5 Kat Nancy Vertical?

I recall reading some time ago that the current (international) phonetic alphabet was developed so that the pronunciations would be recognizable even to & from native speakers who don't have some of the same sounds as English. Maybe no soft "g" as in George? Maybe "jello" sounds like "hello"?

Anyway, someone determined that words like GOLF and JULIET were universal enough to replace George and Jig. Don't ask me, I wasn't at that meeting.

Jim (that's juliet-india-mike)

I always though about G/GOLF of all things to be used :)

I had a student a few years back that had his own version - particularly with his 172, 3HM.

'Billings aproach 3 Hotel Motel......'

I think he just liked getting me riled up.

Ghery said:
. Only the police and similar organizations seem to be using the old Able, Baker, etc. phonetic alphabet. :D

Not around here. We use something totally different. We use Adam, Boy, Charles, David, Edward, Frank, George, Henry, Ida, John.. etc. More than once I've used the police phonetics in the air and the aviation phonetics in a police car. Confuses a dispatcher sometimes, but it's fun to "accidentally" say "Whiskey" on the police frequency instead of "William" like I'm supposed to and hear the snickers. :)

The biggest problem I've had though is breaking the habit of saying "received" while in the air to acknowledge a transmission. In police work we do that around here instead of "10-4" or "Wilco". I've accidentally done that a couple of times and ATC always thinks I'm saying "repeat".

Back