Allergy meds

U

Unregistered

Does anyone know if Singular or Nasonex are on any FAA lists? I've taken them for mild allergies with no real side effects, but wondering if they're OK to take while flying. Underlying condition is not an issue, just mild allergies, but they do help, especially with diving. TIA.

Singular or Montelukast is ok with a note from the doc that there are no side affects. It can cause mental instability in some cases.

Nasonex and the on other nasal cortical sprays are OK. Technically you are supposed to have a status report from your prescribing doctor saying no adverse effects, but frankly, it's never been an issue with my AMEs.

Stinging Nettle works as well as any of them, with no side effects, and no prescription needed.

Rich

Although I am no expert on FAA medical opinions I am a licensed pharmacists

I can tell you that both singular and nasonex are very safe medications that should cause you no issues while flying...I can't imagine the FAA would have any prob with either of them. However a docs note as others have suggested saying as much from your md is a good idea.

Btw I have never heard of singular causing "mental instability" in an adult

Although I am no expert on FAA medical opinions I am a licensed pharmacists

I can tell you that both singular and nasonex are very safe medications that should cause you no issues while flying...I can't imagine the FAA would have any prob with either of them. However a docs note as others have suggested saying as much from your md is a good idea.

Btw I have never heard of singular causing "mental instability" in an adult
read the potential side effects for montelukast sod....
Some patients taking montelukast have developed mental or mood changes, including suicidal thoughts or actions. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience symptoms such as agitation, aggression, hostility, anxiety, depression, strange dreams, trouble sleeping, sleepwalking, tremor, hallucinations, restlessness, irritability, or any unusual change in mood or behavior. Contact your doctor immediately if any signs of suicidal thoughts or actions occur.....

Last edited:
read the potential side effects for montelukast sod....

Yes, I am well aware what drugs.com says. However, I am saying that in my professional opinion and with my experience this is not a likely side effect, and there is limited evidence showing a connection to psychiatric effects. Remember with medications all side effects with ANY potential are listed, including ones with a <1% chance of it happening to the patients.

With that being said your original advice of having the OP get a note from their Dr. is the best advice. I just didnt want anyone reading this who is taking Singulair to be worried about turning into a crazy :wink2:

Yes, I am well aware what drugs.com says. However, I am saying that in my professional opinion and with my experience this is not a likely side effect, and there is limited evidence showing a connection to psychiatric effects. Remember with medications all side effects with ANY potential are listed, including ones with a <1% chance of it happening to the patients.

With that being said your original advice of having the OP get a note from their Dr. is the best advice. I just didnt want anyone reading this who is taking Singulair to be worried about turning into a crazy :wink2:
yup....it may not be common (irrespective of what the FAA thinks), the FAA does require a note from the PCP.

btw....AOPA has a nice meds database to search for things like this.

Attachments

• meds.JPG
    meds.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Thanks all for the detailed answers. So does the fact that the FAA requires a detailed status report mean that if I start taking Singulair I'm grounded until I get that, or do I just need that before my next medical?

If it were me....I'd give it a couple of weeks and see how you feel. If you felt good and in good spirits....roll on and have your doc write your AME a letter. Mine did so on a script pad and my AME accepted it....but, he also chucked and said it wouldn't fly if he had to send it in. So, check with your AME for the format of an approved letter....should he need to send it in.

I've gotta ask. How do you assume it's okay to take when the FAA's meds guide says it requires approval? Not that I'm arguing because I'm not, but I review every med I'm given and reject one occasionally because it doesn't make the free pass list. The asthma list is the only place I see Singulair.

Asthma / COPD - These conditions often require a combination of drugs which are usually approved by the FAA on an individual basis only. Prednisone is acceptable up to 20 mg only. Case by case approved medications include but may not be limited to:
Advair, Flovent (Fluticasone Propiona)
Accolate (Zafirlukast)
Aerobid (Flunisolide)
Azmacort (Tiamcinolone)
Foradil (Formoterol)
Proventil, Pentolin, Ventolin (Albuterol)
Serevent (Salmeterol)
Singulair (Montelukast)
Theo-Dur, Uniphyl (Theophylline)
Xolair (Omalizumab)
Zyflo (Zileuton)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back