All of you can suck it.

The bad part about Georgia...at least when I was working down there and when the weather was too bad to fly and I had to drive...is that you couldn't get anywhere in the state without first GOING THRU ATLANTA! Well...except for Dalton, but I never built anything in Dalton.

I spent some time in LaFayette Georgia which is the booming metropolis for Catlett GA. Good story with those two places, started by ATC pizzin me off at Charlotte.

Anyone who has actually grown up, lived, worked, and raised kids in the Midwest knows how laughable it is to place Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Iowa in the top 60% of states to live in.

Unless you relish hiding indoors, shivering, for 5 months each year (emerging only long enough to shovel snow), and breathing air that actually hurts, living there absolutely sucks. I spent half a century there, and constantly kick myself for not moving to Texas 35 years ago.

So how much snowmobiling do you do in Texas? Some of us like the winter. I love taking off in less than 1,000 feet.

Now those ice fishermen? Those dudes are flat out nuts.

Wisconsin is #4. Woo hoo!!

I miss my snow machine

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I keep thinking of opening a snowmobile dealership in Florida, just so I'm ready when the "big-One" hits and nobody but me has any in stock.

Of course I need old al gore to tell me about the rising seas and generation of children who will grow up without ever having had it snow....

Of course I need old al gore to tell me about the rising seas and generation of children who will grow up without ever having had it snow....

wnd_addd2693c837b063a473f5135ba3e67d.jpg

The longer I live in GA, the lower it falls on my list. Actually now that I think about it, GA isn't so bad, it's just Atlanta ruins the whole deal.

GA has trout fishing (both stocked and native), (small) mountains for hiking/offroading/mtn biking, one of the few fishable populations of Shoal Bass in the world, lots of coastline - both ocean and gulf, diverse wildlife - from bears and rattlesnakes in the mountains to gators and bowfin in the Okefenokee Swamp...

ATL has........ uhhh..... hmmmmm..... a population with a mindset of entitlement so thick it would make your head spin. Lots of people joke about the day "Zombie apocalypse" occurs - I'm more worried about "Welfare apocalypse" when those government printers stop printing checks and all those yahoos from downtown start mindlessly wandering out into the country in search of food and TVs. The only reason to ever go inside the 285 loop is to get to the airport (ATL) where you can get a direct flight most anywhere in the world. Other than that, meh.

I spent 8 years inside the 285 loop getting my Dental Degree and now "happiness is Atlanta, Georgia in the rearview mirror!"

Now that many compressors are two speed, one can design for worst case and still satisfactorily remove humidity when it's only 85 out. Before though....

(Talking basic systems here...)

Oh...and the infinitely variable blower fans are a godsend too! (Albeit quite expensive at replacement time).

I absolutely love the switch to a continuously variable blower in our house and a variable burner furnace. We leave it on low fan year-round now and it eliminated warm and cool areas and rooms and covers up a lot of the evils of the awful return system this place has.

We added more return when we had the basement ceiling torn up earlier this year, but it could still use more.

Added "a builder who properly engineers HVAC systems and uses modern variable speed blowers and zoning if needed" to my long list of "dream house" stuff if I ever bother to build one.

In the meantime I'd be truly bummed to move somewhere that had an old single or dual speed blower. Absolutely love the thing.

We almost pulled the trigger on a high efficiency heat pump over a "dumb" A/C unit considering the lower cost of electricity over propane in some years out here, but the payback at current rates was about 8 years and I wimped out with the checkbook. I'll regret that if propane goes back up over $4/gallon someday.

Back