All Checked Out in an Airbus!

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
Today at customs we were next to an A320. My pax asked how much gas its engine burned. I said I didn't know but said the 727 I flew burned about 6500 lbs per hour in the climb and guessed it burned less being more efficient.

So his wife googles it and landed on ask.com. OMG, it was riddled with stupid! The link is below. See how much garbage you can find. There are more false statements than true. Incredible. They site a source too!

ask.com airbus fuel consumption

Getting ready to trade my liberty in on an airbus. What a savings on fuel .

Today at customs we were next to an A320. My pax asked how much gas its engine burned. I said I didn't know but said the 727 I flew burned about 6500 lbs per hour in the climb and guessed it burned less being more efficient.

So his wife googles it and landed on ask.com. OMG, it was riddled with stupid! The link is below. See how much garbage you can find. There are more false statements than true. Incredible. They site a source too!

Wow, that was annoyingly stupid. They couldn't even figure out that the g/km & g/mile figures they gave couldn't be right when the m:km factor is 1.6. If anything they had there is correct, I'd bet on the 1.63 gallons/km giving about 2.63 gallons/mile. Interestingly enough, that's better than a lot of the yachts I run which use over 3gallons/mile, and way better than a lot of the tugs.

How can you possibly be so wrong? :confused::mad2::mad2:

For cruise I use 40 kilograms/minute and climb about 65 kilograms/minute.

No offense, but I could hardly care less what an Airbus burns per minute, per hour or per week. The point of the thread is about the most ridiculous answer I've ever read given on an answer site.

I always thought ask.com Was sorta lame but never saw such a glaring example of mission failure. Ever in my life. I've seen dumb and I've seen stupid...but this blows that out of the water. I'm at a loss for words.

A319/A320 FLIGHT CREW
OPERATING MANUAL
PERFORMANCE
FLIGHT PLANNING
FLIGHT PREPARATION - INTEGRATED CRUISE
A319/A320 FLEET PER-FPL-FLP-ICR-10 P 1/2
FCOM A 07 APR 11
GENERAL
GENERAL
Applicable to: ALL
Integrated cruise tables allow the planner to calculate the cruise fuel consumption and the cruise time
required to cover a given air distance.
In the tables, the difference between two gross weights represents the fuel consumption. The
difference between the corresponding distances and times respectively represents the cruise
distance covered and the cruise time for this fuel consumption.
Integrated cruise tables are established for M .78 at fixed levels from FL 290 to FL 390 and for long
range speed at fixed levels from FL 100 to FL 390.
Corrections are given on separate tables to allow for step climbs and to take into account the climb
and the descent phases.
Following tables have been calculated using databases for CFM 56-5-B /P. If the engines fitted on
the aircraft are not /P, the fuel consumption has to be increased by 3 %.
FOR REFERENCE ONLY

performancechart_zpsfba04d1c.jpg

No offense, but I could hardly care less what an Airbus burns per minute, per hour or per week. The point of the thread is about the most ridiculous answer I've ever read given on an answer site.

I always thought ask.com Was sorta lame but never saw such a glaring example of mission failure. Ever in my life. I've seen dumb and I've seen stupid...but this blows that out of the water. I'm at a loss for words.

Hence why I don't even bother with such websites.

So that's more in climb than a 727 if I did the math right 8,580 pph. So cruise works out around 840gph doing what, 455kts? That's around 1.85 gallons per mile in cruise, that's not bad. Figure 150 seats that's about 1.6 ounces of fuel per seat/mile or 80mpg per seat. Pretty damned efficient really.

Thought I'd break the answer down...line by line:

The fuel consumption for an Airbus A320 works out to about 1.65 gallons of fuel per mile or 1.62 gallons per kilometer.

False. A kilometer is .62 of a mile so there is no way the answer above is correct stating gallons per kilometer is only .03 less than gallons per mile. It should be much closer to half the GPM statement.

The aircraft has a maximum range of 600 miles (1 km is 6/10 of a mile).

False. I've commuted on an Airbus A320 from Orlando to Chicago...well over 600 nm. Also, why wouldn't you reduce 6/10 of a mile to 3/5 or at least be accurate with .62 of a mile?

So using that standard, the Airbus A320 will use 1.268 gallons of aircraft fuel for every kilometer that it flies.

What standard? Saying it has a 600nm range is not a standard that would equate to anything and its wrong at that!

It should also be noted that pilots do not measure aviation gas (Av gas) in gallons, but it is measured in pounds so that it is easier to calculate in an international situation, particularly if you are doing in-flight refueling.

No idea where to start here. Umm...okay. Airbus is a jet and doesn't burn ANY AvGas. It's not measured in pounds for 'international situations'. Plenty (all) of domestic carriers measure it in pounds. In -flight refueling? Seriously?? Who does that? And that lends to, in fact is a prime example of, why we measure fuel in pounds?

So, I was thinking about getting checked out for the A321 at our FBO. They want me to have like 25 hours in retracts before they will rent me the thing, something to do with insurance. Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding enough people that are willing to share the pro rata costs. I just want to do a few touch and goes, that's all.

So, I was thinking about getting checked out for the A321 at our FBO. They want me to have like 25 hours in retracts before they will rent me the thing, something to do with insurance. Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding enough people that are willing to share the pro rata costs. I just want to do a few touch and goes, that's all.

It's pain isn't it?

Btw, I checked out their 'source'. It a single page for a defunct airline in the UK. There is no information about airplanes at all.

I seriously wonder where ask.com gets its 'answers'. I looks as though someone with no background in an industry simply puts their guess and then finds a random site and lists that as a source.

How do they get such high google results if they are that bad?

Btw, I checked out their 'source'. It a single page for a defunct airline in the UK. There is no information about airplanes at all.

I seriously wonder where ask.com gets its 'answers'. I looks as though someone with no background in an industry simply puts their guess and then finds a random site and lists that as a source.

How do they get such high google results if they are that bad?

That's easy. They pay people to manipulate Google. Not to research answers.

The only thing I know much about is that it costs me roughly $800 in fuel to fly the Apache from Mich to Fla and back.

And cost me about $450 in fuel to make the round trip in my pickup- hauling the same load of roughly 800 pounds.
But the round trip in the truck means I also have four nights in a motel for $280 total (we only stay in cheap joints) plus 12-14 meals on the road for $260 - a rough total of $990

The plane has a huge advantage in time, with more fuel purchased but few other expenses while traveling. . But then I need to rent transportation while in Fla. for another 100 or 200 bucks. So it is pretty much a wash.

The calculator in my head doesn't have enough zeros for planes that use thousands of pounds of fuel an hour, so I can't help the group there.

The only thing I know much about is that it costs me roughly $800 in fuel to fly the Apache from Mich to Fla and back.

And cost me about $450 in fuel to make the round trip in my pickup- hauling the same load of roughly 800 pounds.
But the round trip in the truck means I also have four nights in a motel for $280 total (we only stay in cheap joints) plus 12-14 meals on the road for $260 - a rough total of $990

The plane has a huge advantage in time, with more fuel purchased but few other expenses while traveling. . But then I need to rent transportation while in Fla. for another 100 or 200 bucks. So it is pretty much a wash.

The calculator in my head doesn't have enough zeros for planes that use thousands of pounds of fuel an hour, so I can't help the group there.

Don't feel bad, the airlines don't have enough zeros in their heads either. That's why they break it down to Cost per Available Seat Mile (CASM). Then compare that with Revenue per Available Seat Mile (RASM). Everything except marketing goes into the CASM for a given flight. Pay, fuel, aircraft financing, maintenance, ect. then is divided by the miles flown for the flight and then divided by the seats available.

For an Airbus A320 I'd guess you're looking at around a 9 cent CASM. A CRJ runs around a .15 CASM as they have fewer seats to divide costs.

As long as your RASM is bigger than your CASM you make money.

So that's more in climb than a 727 if I did the math right 8,580 pph. So cruise works out around 840gph doing what, 455kts? That's around 1.85 gallons per mile in cruise, that's not bad. Figure 150 seats that's about 1.6 ounces of fuel per seat/mile or 80mpg per seat. Pretty damned efficient really.

Just flew a 4+35 trip and burned 10,000kg's.

Our typical 1 hour trips burn right at 3000kg's.

Wait, I can't use ask.com as a primary source of information for fuel burn rates and other operating specifications/limitations?

:yikes:

Wait, I can't use ask.com as a primary source of information for fuel burn rates and other operating specifications/limitations?

:yikes:

Nope, you'll have to restrict it to things like modern economic theory.

...the 727 I flew burned about 6500 lbs per hour in the climb and guessed it burned less being more efficient
There's your answer. Could you be more unclear?

Dude! You are the pilot, right? They are looking to you to be able to provide a knowledgeable answer. Be relatable. Wait, you're the spiked hair, back packed legion of pilots....if so carry on into oblivion.

I should know all things about all planes? If I don't I'm a spiked hair kid?

I don't know anybody who knows anything about all planes. A lot about a couple and some about a few seems par for the course.

I should know all things about all planes? If I don't I'm a spiked hair kid?

I don't know anybody who knows anything about all planes. A lot about a couple and some about a few seems par for the course.
Don't sweat it. Richard appears to be posting drunk again.

Back