All American Flights Grounded!

Of course, given the intelligence of some of the AA employees at the out stations, it's no loss how archaic Saabre is. We arrived at EYW last year to find about a quarter of the flight missing the bags and only a complete idiot who couldn't figure out how to work the computer (his major issue is he didn't know how to power it on, I did so for him). It turns out that our bags had been pitched off the ATR back at MIA because the flight was overweight. Of course, nobody bothered to tell anybody at the destination that there might be some affected passengers.

Finally giving up on the computer entirely, the one semi-competent employee took our names and cellphone numbers on paper to call us. Given the general level of incompetence, I decided to meet the next flight personally rather than waiting for them to deliver our bags.

I'd be willing to bet that AA doesn't have any employees at EYW. They sure as heck don't operate any ATR's.

On the last Eagle trip I flew (as pax) the SIC was spinning a big white wheel that looked for all the world like a W/B plotter.

See Gee Calculator makes figuring the W&B CG index a snap. Still had to add up a long line of numbers, though. Did that for many thousands of flights...now it spits out the ACARS printer.

Backup computers? Hope they aren't wired like Japanese nuke plants.

I'd be willing to bet that AA doesn't have any employees at EYW. They sure as heck don't operate any ATR's.

They sure as heck did. Executive Airlines I think?

36160940.jpg

They sure as heck did. Executive Airlines I think?

36160940.jpg

Ya might should wanna check that source....

I a really don't think they're AA employee's at KEYW. Say what you want..

American Eagle does and AMR owns both the mainline AA and the three operations under Eagle carrier. Who knows who the stiffs in EYW were, but it certainly was mainline American guys at MIA

On the other hand I do have a soft spot for a certain class of (ex) AA pilots. The first pilot who ever took me for a ride in a small plane at the age of 12 or so and let me work the controls was a 727 FE for American. He was one of the group that got absorbed from Trans Caribbean who my father represented their interests in the merger.

Oddly enough I was talking to another Navion pilot about what he did before retirement and he turned out to be another AA by way of TCA pilot. He knew the guy who gave me my first ride and we knew the MEC chief (whose voice I always recognized when he'd call my dad after hours).

American Eagle does and AMR owns both the mainline AA and the three operations under Eagle carrier. Who knows who the stiffs in EYW were, but it certainly was mainline American guys at MIA

I seriously doubt it. Very seldom. Is the situation of mainline handling regional traffic. Especially at a hub...Eagle would handle their own flights.

I seriously doubt it. Very seldom. Is the situation of mainline handling regional traffic. Especially at a hub...Eagle would handle their own flights.

I thought American Airlines owned American Eagle, and it wasn't the traditional Air Wisconsin/United type deal.

Ya might should wanna check that source....

I a really don't think they're AA employee's at KEYW. Say what you want..

Well, according to the guy who took it that photo was taken at KEYW. Sure, it's not flown by AA pilots and the ground handling is almost certainly not done by AA, but the point was that American and affiliates flew ATRs to KEYW. That's all I was saying.

Well calling it an affiliate is kind of a misnomer. AA and AE are the divisions of the same company. They remain separate entities I suspect primarily for labor issues. This is in contrast to some of the regional carriers that operate under the logo of other carriers such as Delta or United. It's more along the lines of the old Metrojet days which wasn't even a different corporate entity just a marketing distinction.

All this talk of 121 pilots not being able to go old school, how about consumers?

Looking at an old-fashioned time table, we have Sky West operating as American Eagle at LAX, Express Jet as American Eagle at DFW, and Republic at ORD as American Eagle. Executive used to do the ATR thing in the Caribbean, but no more, either American Eagle or code share with folks like Hyannis / Cape Air.

Last edited:
The Skywest/Express Jet operatioin was NOT related to the the current American Eagle.

I thought American Airlines owned American Eagle, and it wasn't the traditional Air Wisconsin/United type deal.

It's a separate division & run as a separate carrier, except that AA runs the reservations systems.

The Skywest/Express Jet operatioin was NOT related to the the current American Eagle.

Well, related in that they are flying under the American Eagle banner in a Capacity Purchase Agreement. If 10% of John and Jane Q. Public knew the difference between that and American Eagle proper, I would be surprised. Likewise, I would be surprised if more than 30% could separate Eagle from American Airlines proper, especially when it comes to negative issues. But I am biased, as I sleep with labor, literally! :D

And thanks again for the use of your ramp to get me to that funeral. Made it very easy. Lake Norman is on the short list of 'retirement' locations, glad to finally see it in person, albeit for the wrong reason.

Back