Alcohol in the plane

No issues with states that have motor vehicle open bottle laws?

If you happen to be operating your airplane on a public roadway, you probably have more pressing issues that you need to deal with.

FYI some states do allow exemptions for commercial tour buses and limousines.

If you happen to be operating your airplane on a public roadway, you probably have more pressing issues that you need to deal with.

FYI some states do allow exemptions for commercial tour buses and limousines.

But some airplanes do operate rather normally in public waterways. Similar rule.

But some airplanes do operate rather normally in public waterways. Similar rule.

There is a State law in California prohibiting boating under the influence, but it's covered under the Harbors and Navigation Code, not the Vehicle Code. There is no open container provision for watercraft.

Perfectly legal for the pax to consume alcohol, and it's expected onboard anything with a potty and airstairs. That said, appearances matter---I wouldn't want to be the dude who just landed with his buzzed frat bros only to be met for a ramp check with beer cans spilling out of the Cessna 172.
If this was directed at me, allow me to clarify that I only allowed my passenger to bring three beers onboard. If this wasn't directed at me, I apologize :p
Blue skies!

14 CFR 91.17(b)
(b) Except in an emergency, no pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a person who appears to be intoxicated or who demonstrates by manner or physical indications that the individual is under the influence of drugs (except a medical patient under proper care) to be carried in that aircraft.
So I can carry drunks. Woo Hoo.

Where? I can drink while boating all day in Texas... I just can't boat while intoxicated.

If this was directed at me, allow me to clarify that I only allowed my passenger to bring three beers onboard. If this wasn't directed at me, I apologize :p
Blue skies!

Why not let him finish the six pack?

My message was directed at anyone reading it.

My FA usually brings wine if we're traveling somewhere, if we have passengers I announce after take off that beverage service is at her discretion. (if she has enough, she might share):D

Here's an FAA instructional video on how to properly deal with beer in the plane.

Almost had a prop strike in that taildragger street landing :hairraise:

I wonder how much alcoholic beverages get flown into the campgrounds at OSH each year :drink:

Last edited:
Back