Alaska tour ?

I wonder if this route can be done with a RV-12.

Why would you want to try? they go so fast and carry so much, and use so little fuel, it would be below their dignity.

and besides who would build one in time to join the caravan.

Why would you want to try? they go so fast and carry so much, and use so little fuel, it would be below their dignity.

and besides who would build one in time to join the caravan.

I'm done, was that fast enough? :D

That makes more sense than one leg Bellingham to Ketchikan. Port Hardy on the northern tip of Vancouver Island is about the best place to do that.

You mentioned doing that when I planned my trip last summer, to avoid US Customs coming back. I came back Edmunton AB to Cut Bank Montana, customs was a breeze.

You mentioned doing that when I planned my trip last summer, to avoid US Customs coming back. I came back Edmunton AB to Cut Bank Montana, customs was a breeze.

Try that in the Vancouver Seattle corridor you'll find the TSA agents on steroids and Quaaludes.(sp)

"The lady with the 150" from Anchorage checking in on this thread...

Yes, I flew east of the Trench on the way down (towards Idaho), and up the Trench (from Washington) on the way up. Through Whitehorse and Watson Lake both ways. The plane was a 150-HP C-150 with long-range fuel tanks and an auxiliary fuel tank in the back (with pumps to bring the extra 14 gallons up into the wings).

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!
Grant's post above has got the link to the blog that I kept during the trip.

The coastal route (Yakutat, etc.) is just too scary to me, as the weather is pretty much either fog or rain or fog or snow or rain for 340 days a year... it's a route for only a plane and pilot well-equipped for IFR.

The "Alaska 150", by the way, is still for sale!
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51184

--Kath

"The lady with the 150" from Anchorage checking in on this thread...

Yes, I flew east of the Trench on the way down (towards Idaho), and up the Trench (from Washington) on the way up. Through Whitehorse and Watson Lake both ways. The plane was a 150-HP C-150 with long-range fuel tanks and an auxiliary fuel tank in the back (with pumps to bring the extra 14 gallons up into the wings).

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!
Grant's post above has got the link to the blog that I kept during the trip.

The coastal route (Yakutat, etc.) is just too scary to me, as the weather is pretty much either fog or rain or fog or snow or rain for 340 days a year... it's a route for only a plane and pilot well-equipped for IFR.

The "Alaska 150", by the way, is still for sale!
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51184

--Kath
Kath,
Great to see you online again.
I mentioned your 150/150 to someone last week and said I would check on it.

So what's the useful load?
You said long range wing tanks, what's the fuel load in the wings plus the 14 gallons?

What's the usefull load at full fuel?
And fuel burn? 6Gph?
Probably not going to put two 200# guys in the seats.

Last edited:
Useful load is something like 550 lb.
The wings carry 20 gal each (so 40 total, and 54 if you fill the aux tank too).
So on my trip I could carry full fuel with myself (140 lbs) and my camping gear... but that was it.
You could carry two large guys, but not with much fuel!
Fuel burn is about 8 gal/hour.

--Kath

Back