Alaska tour ?

Tom, this has been a dream of mine for many years. After I earned my PPL in 1984 I bought a book about flying the AlCan Highway and have wanted to make the trip ever since.

I lives in AK from Dec of 79 till April of 83 (USAF) and have returned three times. Rented a motor home for two weeks in 99 and 11 and did the surf and turn in 07.

Now that I own my own airplane the desire is even stronger to do make the trip. One day I will when I get a bit closer to retirement it will happen.

That route follows most of my route from last summer. Interesting the detours up to Dawson and south of Teslin before getting to Northway.

I'm filing this for my next opportunity to fly to Alaska. I did not do the camping, always found hotels, but I did not stray off the Al-Can hiway. It would be fun doing the safari with other aircraft.

Now that I own my own airplane the desire is even stronger to do make the trip. One day I will when I get a bit closer to retirement it will happen.

Don't wait! I know too many people that did not make it to retirement.
Or they were forced to retire because of I'll health, which meant, no more flying.

Sack away two weeks vacation and do it!

The vacation time is not the hard part. It's the three kids in college that puts a nail in the tire!!!

What were you flying and how much time did you log in the round trip?

The vacation time is not the hard part. It's the three kids in college that puts a nail in the tire!!!

What were you flying and how much time did you log in the round trip?

Roger on the 3 in college, my one and only graduated college in 2006.

I flew a T-41B from LAS to Anchorage, Homer, Talkeetna, Fairbanks and back. Visiting Bellingham WA, Price George, BC, Ft Nelson BC, Watson Lake YT, Whitehorse YT, and back through Edmunton AB, and Helena MT and Salt Lake UT. Logged 53 hrs round trip.

T-41B, is Army C-172 with 210 HP, IO-360, 125KTAS

I'm planning my trip this year, but trying to stay out of Canada. Coastal route via Washington to Ketchican, then tour Alaska. Will take the trench route if weather is bad along the coast. May use east route (AlCan Hwy) for return trip and head over to OSH.

Oldest daughter's first baby may change plans. :sad: I haven't missed a grandchild's birth yet, not gonna start now. :no:

Last edited:
I'm planning my trip this year, but trying to stay out of Canada. Coastal route via Washington to Ketchican, then tour Alaska. Will take the trench route if weather is bad along the coast. May use east route (AlCan Hwy) for return trip and head over to OSH.

Oldest daughter's first baby may change plans. :sad: I haven't missed a grandchild's birth yet, not gonna start now. :no:

Depending on the airframe/fuel, The coastal route is doable, stay with ATC from US to US, no customs. There was a C-150 that did that route last summer.

A trip like that is in my future for sure. After I finish rebuilding my Pietenpol, the Tcraft is getting restored and I plan on that being my first trip with it. My wife is worried that I won't come back. :D

Depending on the airframe/fuel, The coastal route is doable, stay with ATC from US to US, no customs. There was a C-150 that did that route last summer.

Your 150 was a lucky dude, it is 525 miles from Bellingham Wa to Ketchikan Ak. that is cutting way too close for me in a standard 150.

But if you got the winds ????

Is that the lady that showed up at the Oceano movie night/camp this last summer? She was solo, VFR and said she was flying her husbands 150. It was modified and she called it an "Alaska" 150 and had long range tanks and 150 HP engine. I think she came inland through Idaho on her way south and flew the coastal route home. http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51184

Should be good in the RV-10.

60 gallons, 170 mph on 11 gph @ 6500 LOP. I like to land with an hour reserve minimum, should land with 15 gallons minimum.

Calculation of winds aloft will be a must, but usually a cross wind on this route.

Last edited:
Calculation of winds aloft will be a must, but usually a cross wind on this route.

Not hardly,, it all depends upon where the High sets.

I've seen winds from 330 over 80 miles per hour. That's really great if I'm coming home. But going north it is near impossible with out a stop at Port Hardy, and Prince Rupert.

And when the wind ain't blowing, the ceiling is 1500' and VFR on top is 5000'

Not hardly,, it all depends upon where the High sets.

I've seen winds from 330 over 80 miles per hour. That's really great if I'm coming home. But going north it is near impossible with out a stop at Port Hardy, and Prince Rupert.

And when the wind ain't blowing, the ceiling is 1500' and VFR on top is 5000'

I plan on summer months. Here is a chart for average weather in June. Prevailing winds are from the SE 33% of the time, average wind speed is less than 20 MPH. Obviously, this is averaged, but I rather doubt 80 MPH is common in June. ;)

http://weatherspark.com/averages/32997/6/Ketchikan-Alaska-United-States

Let's not argue about what the weather will be doing in 5 months, that is pretty silly.

Last edited:
I plan on summer months. Here is a chart for average weather in June. Prevailing winds are from the SE 33% of the time, average wind speed is less than 20 MPH. Obviously, this is averaged, but I rather doubt 80 MPH is common in June. ;)

http://weatherspark.com/averages/32997/6/Ketchikan-Alaska-United-States

Let's not argue about what the weather will be doing in 5 months, that is pretty silly.

Good luck with that, June is a good month to go. A few suggestions. File the Flight plan, contact Can/Pas be ready to land in Canada. Know where Carcross Yt. and Port Hardy, is and know how to get there if needed.Plus carry the approach charts for Prince Rupert.

Going up the outside is a fun trip, If you get clear weather it is simply beautiful.

Nothing is average when flying in Alaska. Expect and be prepared for extremes.

That's holy Grail, Prepare for the worst trip possible, If you get better, be happy.

There is a reason the state and federal workers that are required to fly, must wear an exposure suit.

That's holy Grail, Prepare for the worst trip possible, If you get better, be happy.

I appreciate that.

Thanks for the tips Tom. I'm making a list!

Is it nessessary / required to carry a rifle in Alaska? I know hand guns are illegal in Canada, so don't bring one if you want to keep it.

Last edited:
Is it nessessary to carry a rifle in Alaska? I know hand guns are illegal in Canada, so don't bring one if you want to keep it.

First and foremost hand guns are not illegal in Canada. read the requirements at the " Canadian fire Arms center"

Carrying one really is dependent upon where you plan to go. If I were only landing at airports that are near towns like Tok, No, I would not carry one. If I were going camping in the back country, Yes, I'd carry a 12 gauge shotgun. But remember when a brown bear attacks you usually have less than 1 second to kill it.

What I carry.

Attachments

• 870 express.JPG
    870 express.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
First and foremost hand guns are not illegal in Canada. read the requirements at the " Canadian fire Arms center"

Carrying one really is dependent upon where you plan to go. If I were only landing at airports that are near towns like Tok, No, I would not carry one. If I were going camping in the back country, Yes, I'd carry a 12 gauge shotgun. But remember when a brown bear attacks you usually have less than 1 second to kill it.

What I carry.

No worries, I have my Leatherman. :lol:

;)

If a big brownie comes after you just shoot yourself. I think a shotgun will just make him or her really mad. Regardless forget a head shot. Most rifle shells will just glance off of their heads. It is best to shoot a hind leg in an attempt to slow them down so you can hopefully fill them with enough lead to make them too heavy to move. Also never ever run uphill in an attempt to get away.

This is what drives me crazy. According to the Canadian web site ANY gun under 26" is illegal, but I have heard from several people like yourself that says that is not true. :dunno:

http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/firearms.html

I guess I need to apply for a seasonal residency. ;)

I don't need the hastle, I'm not bringing guns.

Last edited:
If a big brownie comes after you just shoot yourself. I think a shotgun will just make him or her really mad. Regardless forget a head shot. Most rifle shells will just glance off of their heads. It is best to shoot a hind leg in an attempt to slow them down so you can hopefully fill them with enough lead to make them too heavy to move. Also never ever run uphill in an attempt to get away.

:rofl:

....and why shouldn't I run up hill? :dunno:

Bears in general are built for running up hill. In USAF orientation we were taught to first stand your ground hope the charges remain false ones and the bear will head of into the woods. If you think you have a chance to run, do so downhill. Bears are clumsy running down hill. Some bears however will roll into a ball and if they roll past you do the play dead act and hope they don't eat to much or that you don't taste good.

There's an old saw that bears are clumsy downhill runners.

Truth is, for an animal that evolved from a sea mammal they are frightfully efficient at running up, down, or sideways. And if they do trip going downhill it would be little consolation to me to be crushed to death instead of mauled.

Never had to test the run theory, but I have had to stand my ground a couple times. It is really hard to pee your pants and stand still. Once we were hunting Moose on the Denali Highway. Had a big ole brownie come into camp a couple times. You could feel the ground move when it got near the tent. Not that it would have made much of a difference but we our guns drawn. My buddy tells Me one night that if that bear comes back he is going to shoot it through the tent. I said only if you shoot me first.

This is what drives me crazy. According to the Canadian web site ANY gun under 26" is illegal, but I have heard from several people like yourself that says that is not true. :dunno:

http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/firearms.html

I guess I need to apply for a seasonal residency. ;)

I don't need the hastle, I'm not bringing guns.

Frustration is a big factor. :)

here is a better page for getting the proper info about bringing fire arms into Canada.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm

Bears in general are built for running up hill. In USAF orientation we were taught to first stand your ground hope the charges remain false ones and the bear will head of into the woods. If you think you have a chance to run, do so downhill. Bears are clumsy running down hill. Some bears however will roll into a ball and if they roll past you do the play dead act and hope they don't eat to much or that you don't taste good.

I didn't have to deal with bears in the Navy. :no: But they are tastey! Strong taste, fair eating. Maybe because they caught up with the airman who ran uphill. :rofl:

Last edited:
Black bear very tasty just like a lean pork. They are very good with BBQ sauce.

Brown bear very greasy, lots of nasty fat. Cook up what you can after the kill and leave the rest for his relatives to munch on.

Heard a story about how you were supposed to tie little bells on your clothing with brightly colored yarn. The bells were supposed to clang while you were walking to let the brownies know where you are. One of the young airmen raised his hand and says sir how do you know if the bears in the area are browns or blacks. The wise old master sgt says well son you need to check out the bear scat in the area where you are walking. The young airman says how do I tell the difference. The Msgt says well, black bear scat has a fowl stench that can't be mistaken, and it is very Dark in color, and well brown bear scat is best recognized by all the pieces of brightly colored yarn and little bells in it.

The Sign :::>

Attachments

• CautionBears.jpg
    CautionBears.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 26
If you want to look up something interesting, google "lady of the lake eielson"

This was a regular spot to visit while I was stationed at Eielson AFB

Is that the lady that showed up at the Oceano movie night/camp this last summer? She was solo, VFR and said she was flying her husbands 150. It was modified and she called it an "Alaska" 150 and had long range tanks and 150 HP engine. I think she came inland through Idaho on her way south and flew the coastal route home. http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51184

No, she took the inland route up through The Trench form Mackenzie to Watson Lake. I traded a lot of notes with her about that trip.

Your 150 was a lucky dude, it is 525 miles from Bellingham Wa to Ketchikan Ak. that is cutting way too close for me in a standard 150.

But if you got the winds ????

I don't think he made the full US to US trip, I think he stopped in Canada for fuel, so he needed to do the CBP dance.

Kath posted a write of her trip in the 150 at http://beetlejuiceadventure.wordpress.com/

I don't think he made the full US to US trip, I think he stopped in Canada for fuel, so he needed to do the CBP dance.
That makes more sense than one leg Bellingham to Ketchikan. Port Hardy on the northern tip of Vancouver Island is about the best place to do that.

Back