Alaska sightseeing plane crashes near Ketchikan

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
Alaska sightseeing plane crashes near Ketchikan; at least 6 dead, including pilot, Coast Guard says

https://www.foxnews.com/us/alaska-sightseeing-plane-crashes-ketchikan-6-dead-pilot-coast-guard

The plane, a single-engine DeHavilland DHC-2 Beaver, took off from Misty Fjords National Monument and crashed around 11:20 a.m. in an area of steep, mountainous terrain near Ketchikan, about 300 miles southeast of Juneau, officials with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) told the Anchorage Daily News.

There was mist and light rain at the time of the crash, the Coast Guard said, along with 8 mph winds and visibility of two miles.

Perhaps this should be a new thread, but there is news today about this accident, a year later. The Seattle Times headline is "Holland America Line sued over floatplane crash that killed 6". As an infrequent poster, I'm not allowed to insert links, but should be easy to find at www.seattletimes.com.

Pilot error, low ceiling, etc. The lawsuit basically charges that the cruise line is responsible because its schedule -- getting passengers back to the ship before sailing -- put pressure on the pilot. It's a reasonable conclusion that the pilot was experiencing time pressure, "get-there-itis". Holland America advertised the sightseeing flight, but the floatplane outfit was an independent contractor. And the lawsuit recognizes that the pilot was primarily responsible: "[the pilot] flew the floatplane intentionally into unsafe weather conditions...."

If a person or company effectively puts time pressure on an operator or pilot, does that person or company bear some of the responsibility? Or is it all borne by the pilot/operator?

If a person or company effectively puts time pressure on an operator or pilot, does that person or company bear some of the responsibility? Or is it all borne by the pilot/operator?
I guess we’ll find out…but when Domino’s pizza had a 30-minute guarantee, I had to change car insurance to do deliveries.

I guess we’ll find out…but when Domino’s pizza had a 30-minute guarantee, I had to change car insurance to do deliveries.
Perhaps this should be a new thread, but there is news today about this accident, a year later. The Seattle Times headline is "Holland America Line sued over floatplane crash that killed 6". As an infrequent poster, I'm not allowed to insert links, but should be easy to find at www.seattletimes.com.

Pilot error, low ceiling, etc. The lawsuit basically charges that the cruise line is responsible because its schedule -- getting passengers back to the ship before sailing -- put pressure on the pilot. It's a reasonable conclusion that the pilot was experiencing time pressure, "get-there-itis". Holland America advertised the sightseeing flight, but the floatplane outfit was an independent contractor. And the lawsuit recognizes that the pilot was primarily responsible: "[the pilot] flew the floatplane intentionally into unsafe weather conditions...."

There are 2 questions-
- Was the trip booked through Holland America? I'm assuming so since HAL is being sued.
-The second question was whether HAL actually put pressure on the pilot? If a tour booked through HAL returns late, they wait for that tour. See: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/shore-excursions.html
I've had personal experience with a tour returning to the ship 30 minutes later than the departure time. The ship was still there, they hauled in the gangway and cast off as soon as we were aboard. The tour people didn't seem flustered. A reasonable reply to me would ask if there is pressure "behind the scenes", such as the tour people having to pay a penalty or something. I don't know how the contracts HAL has with the tour operators are written.

I'm no lawyer, but I question whether HAL put pressure on the pilot to return before the ship left given their policies. The information will come out during discovery or the trial.

I'm not an attorney, either, but strongly suspect that they're adding Holland to the suit because they have bigger pockets. And it may not be unfair. People may assume that a charter flight in Alaska is as safe as a cruise, and my suspicion is that it isn't at all.

FWIW: in civil tort actions whatever route the plaintiff attorney cares to take is open. But money talks and BS walks, literally. The only reason in my book the cruise company is involved is money and the pax were on their boat beforehand. No different than a pilot going IIMC and somehow its Cessna's or Lycoming's fault.:rolleyes:

Going after the deepest pockets, simple as that.

The cruise line has a General Liability policy with a hefty coverage limit. The insurance company lawyers will drag it out procedurally and then settle before it goes to trial.

Back