Alaska Purchase

Awww... thanks. *blush*
I took a long break from flying... but I'm getting back in (and figured I'd check back into this board, too)

--Kath

HLS customs and the border patrol is 1 big co-operative effort at the border south of BC.

If the HLS helo see some thing coming south they don't like, they will pursue. If you are under ATC control the Helo pilot can contact VanCouver approach and find out what is going on.

Thanks, we are planning Bellingham and Abbotsford. So coming back we'll land at Abbotsford to clear out of Canada and then into Bellingham with the required eAPIS notifications. We'll pick a flight plan comming across the border.

We looked at Spokane and Pinticton today for alternates if the Vancouver area is hard IFR.

Hi,
My Anchorage-to-California flight (all VFR) is in progress. I crossed into Canada at Whitehorse a couple weeks ago, and crossed back into the US at Cut Bank a few days ago. I agree with others who said the border crossing procedure seems like a pain, but if you just research all the necessary things you need to do, and do them, it's nothing to worry about.

Flying *in* Canada is *almost* indistinguishable from flying in the states. There are a few minor differences: 1) Flight plans are required for all VFR flights. 2) They will activate your flight plan at your filed departure time automatically, assuming you have departed (rather than waiting for you to call and activate). 3) A "Class C" airspace there is more like a Class B here; you must get "cleared" to enter it. 4) Some (but not all) non-towered airports have what's called a "Mandatory Frequency", which is like an "almost tower"; there is someone on the radio who gives traffic advisories and weather updates, but you *must* call them up and announce your position, as you would at a normal non-towered airport, but you're addressing your transmissions to "Blahblah Radio" instead of "Blahblah Traffic", and someone on the ground will be acknowledging each transmission. It's like a Class-E-and-a-half. You know you're dealing with one of these when the chart has an "M" in front of the frequency, or they are listed in the Canada Supplement as "MF". When departing, these radio guys also like you to let them know when you are "leaving the zone" (meaning that 5-NM circle of Class E to the surface). 5) Restricted airspace is called Class F.

This has been my first trip through Canada, and it was GOBS of fun, and did not feel foreign at all.

--Kath

Kath, pleased to meet you. I am planning a Las Vegas to Anchorage and return flight for August. Nice to read your write-up. Interesting that you came through Cut Bank and not Spokane if you are headed to California.

I take it you did not fly the "trench", but stayed farther east.

I'm planning Northway and Whitehorse at the north end.

Thanks, we are planning Bellingham and Abbotsford. So coming back we'll land at Abbotsford to clear out of Canada and then into Bellingham with the required eAPIS notifications. We'll pick a flight plan comming across the border.

We looked at Spokane and Pinticton today for alternates if the Vancouver area is hard IFR.

You best be ready, the border is at the south end of the runway.

You best be ready, the border is at the south end of the runway.

The south end of Abbotsford? And about 17 min to Bellingham. With the required advance notification and computer work, I'll figure the ETA into Bellingham and delay my departure accordingly, be with the tower, Vancover and Bellingham, talking and squawking all the way.

I flew there and back in a Cessna 120, so I would think that a Cardinal should be able to make it.

What do you mean dreaming Mike?:confused: You've probably sold enough hoods and trunk lids in the last two weeks to just go up there and buy the plane!:D

Seriously though, starting to shop for something like this before you've saved the money is half the fun of buying it.:)

What do you mean dreaming Mike?:confused: You've probably sold enough hoods and trunk lids in the last two weeks to just go up there and buy the plane!:D

Seriously though, starting to shop for something like this before you've saved the money is half the fun of buying it.:)

Well, the business did... but then we got this nasty habit of paying the employees so they will return next week, then the utilities so we have power, and then the landlord's rent....

And I don't think I can get the IRS to accept orbiting the auction locations and calling it "looking at the cars I want to purchase" as a valid business expense.

But slowly and steadily, the purchase fund is growing.

Back