Alaska Purchase

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I got an email alert about a Cardinal for sale SW of Anchorage (http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=1247979). C177's are aircraft that have a good fit into what I want in an aircraft once I'm ready to purchase, so I've been learning more about them and following the market.

Kinda day dreaming and expressing a curiosity about getting it here --

If I was to purchase an aircraft in Alaska, could it be flown home? What considerations for transiting that corner of Canada would I need to be aware of? Can I make overnight, food, fuel, and outhouse stops without a big hassle from the maple leaf squad??

Not serious a'tall about purchase yet, but always good to ask questions and continue learning!

It's not that difficult, it flew up there why wouldn't it fly back?

know your boarder crossing requirements. going into Canada is easy, do the can pass thing, but getting back to the US is a *****. stupid TSA.

It's not that difficult, it flew up there why wouldn't it fly back?

know your boarder crossing requirements. going into Canada is easy, do the can pass thing, but getting back to the US is a *****. stupid TSA.

:yeahthat:

My wife and I visit Penticton BC frequently. (Sumac Ridge grows GREAT wine) The folks there are very friendly and know us by sight. We land, taxi to the quarantine area and wait. The duty official comes out, smiles and waves, asks a few questions and we're done. Coming home the feeling is as if I was landing in the East Germany of days gone by. I would not be surprised to hear the snap of a rubber glove....... :yikes:

:yeahthat:

My wife and I visit Penticton BC frequently. (Sumac Ridge grows GREAT wine) The folks there are very friendly and know us by sight. We land, taxi to the quarantine area and wait. The duty official comes out, smiles and waves, asks a few questions and we're done. Coming home the feeling is as if I was landing in the East Germany of days gone by. I would not be surprised to hear the snap of a rubber glove....... :yikes:

The Gestapo that patrols the BC border are very abusive of power these days, the Canadians are very friendly.

The other day when we went up to Hope BC, the line at the border (Sumas Wa.) was about 5 cars long going up, the line coming south was 3 mile back up.

I drive up these days, the flying up is simply too much of a hassle and the paper work to file and the do the customs thing is way over the top. It simply isn't worth the effort.

Cross in Cutbank MT You need an appointment.
If you want to come to the SZ I'll tell ya about EAPIS.

The Gestapo that patrols the BC border are very abusive of power these days, the Canadians are very friendly.

The other day when we went up to Hope BC, the line at the border (Sumas Wa.) was about 5 cars long going up, the line coming south was 3 mile back up.

I drive up these days, the flying up is simply too much of a hassle and the paper work to file and the do the customs thing is way over the top. It simply isn't worth the effort.

I agree, but it is a Looooooong drive for us.

Cross in Cutbank MT You need an appointment.
If you want to come to the SZ I'll tell ya about EAPIS.
https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/

That piece of **** rule is from the devil him self.

and has virtually stopped aircraft traffic to and from Canada on the west side.

Last edited:
yeah, but you don't have to land at a Canadian border crossing AOE. I flew from Quebec City all the way to Bradley outside Hartford bypassing the rumored badasses on the border and was treated pleasantly and professionally.

If you buy the airplane outside Anchorage you could get it into Canada - get on the other side of the mountains in the rain shadow - and then fly it to Iowa or Nebraska and clear customs there. There is no requirement of which I am aware that requires a private aircraft arriving from Canada to land at the airport closest to their border crossing.

Not much I can say about it without breaking out in a cold sweat and ranting about stuff that belongs in the SZ.

I don't believe you feel any different than I do.

Once upon a time it was fun to go up, or to Victoria for coffee, But HLS screwed it up. it's no fun.

A beaver did a wide pattern at Friday Harbor, got intercepted by HLS helo, they followed him to Friday harbor where he was based, and did well over 50k damage inspecting his aircraft.

yeah, but you don't have to land at a Canadian border crossing AOE. I flew from Quebec City all the way to Bradley outside Hartford bypassing the rumored badasses on the border and was treated pleasantly and professionally.

If you buy the airplane outside Anchorage you could get it into Canada - get on the other side of the mountains in the rain shadow - and then fly it to Iowa or Nebraska and clear customs there. There is no requirement of which I am aware that requires a private aircraft arriving from Canada to land at the airport closest to their border crossing.

I would do so as soon as "PRACTICABLE" :D. Given how anal retentive the CBP can be, diverting after you've flown by a few AOEs might get them even more riled up. Besides, in Cut Bank, they'll drive an hour from Sweetgrass to meet you and the experience is largely a non event. You'll likely be the only person at the airport. Del Bonita is interesting that you can clear going both ways but no fuel or other reason to stop.

Don't count on HLS following any rules, they make them up as they go, and are not responsible to any one.

they seem to be able to intercept you anywhere, make you land, destroy your aircraft, climb back in their helo, and fly away. no search warent no nothing.

I don't believe you feel any different than I do.

Once upon a time it was fun to go up, or to Victoria for coffee, But HLS screwed it up. it's no fun.

A beaver did a wide pattern at Friday Harbor, got intercepted by HLS helo, they followed him to Friday harbor where he was based, and did well over 50k damage inspecting his aircraft.

I was planning on Bellingham for my customs stop to and from Alaska through Canada. Your posts are making me think about a customs port farther east.

How do you do $50k damage on an inspection.

Any reports on crossing through GEG or someplace in Montana?

I was planning on Bellingham for my customs stop to and from Alaska through Canada. Your posts are making me think about a customs port farther east.

How do you do $50k damage on an inspection.

Any reports on crossing through GEG or someplace in Montana?

you tear out the interior, seats, and the wiring behind the panel. looking for what you know isn't there.

I'd go direct Ketch. to Belingham, on a IFR flight plan. it's 535 miles by airway. you talk to the Canadian controlers, but eliminate the customs thing, and being on positive control the HLS thing is lessened.

BUT DO YOUR HOME WORK.

Last edited:
Are there any issues with temporary registration certificates, or can that be dealt with somehow? I have a recollection of seeing that you can't use a temporary for a border crossing.

Are there any issues with temporary registration certificates, or can that be dealt with somehow? I have a recollection of seeing that you can't use a temporary for a border crossing.

You can get that done very quickly by contacting the FAA registration branch. shouldn't be a problem.

you tear out the interior, seats, and the wiring behind the panel. looking for what you know isn't there.

I'd go direct Ketch. to Belingham, on a IFR flight plan. it's 535 miles by airway. you talk to the Canadian controlers, but eliminate the customs thing, and being on positive control the HLS thing is lessened.

BUT DO YOUR HOME WORK.

I've been doing the work and research. Still learning. I understand the electronic filing, and different forms required to be made out before landing. Going to make sure I have everything, but it sounds like departing Canada coming home to a farther south and east airport may be the better option.

Are the inspectors at Bellingham the only ones known to do this? Or was it just the HLS helo crew?

A leg from Ketch in Alaska to Bellingham is a long leg in a 125KTAS T-41B.
At 11gph, we've got the fuel for it, 77 gal on board.

Remember/know the Canadian ATC at VanCouver BC has control of the air traffic over bellingham, and if the HLS folks have a problem with you they will contact you in the air, simply tell them you are on positive control out of Ketch, and landing BLI.
They should not have any problem with that.

I've been doing the work and research. Still learning. I understand the electronic filing, and different forms required to be made out before landing. Going to make sure I have everything, but it sounds like departing Canada coming home to a farther south and east airport may be the better option.

Are the inspectors at Bellingham the only ones known to do this? Or was it just the HLS helo crew?

You'll also have winds at your back too, winds off the northern Pacific are usually 330 at 25 down the coast, just remember it is a long hop out of Ketch to BLI. and it is open water until you get to Sand Point in the Queen Charlottes, and then there is nothing but rocks and water to VanCouver Island at Port Hardy. Then you are pretty much done. If you make it to BLI without stopping in Canada you won;t do customs, just the HLS BS.

I think you would have a better chance of better weather on the east route through Canada. Customs at Great Falls, MT was more inquisitive than most but I have heard good things about Casper, WY. I don't know if you could make Casper from Canada in a Cardinal, though.

I think you would have a better chance of better weather on the east route through Canada. Customs at Great Falls, MT was more inquisitive than most but I have heard good things about Casper, WY. I don't know if you could make Casper from Canada in a Cardinal, though.

You must cross the Rockies twice to do that route. unless you run the trench.

You must cross the Rockies twice to do that route. unless you run the trench.
My impression is that he's going to Texas with it so you would only need to cross once.

Thanks, I'll be flying to VGT, Las Vegas, NV, Wyoming is a little too far east.

Great falls or Spokane is possible. I've been watching the Wx in BLI. The Wx from Ketch to BLI is VFR tonight, but it's been ugly earlier in the week.

Edit: I'm not the original OP looking at a Cardinal. I'm planning a fun trip from VGT to Anchorage and back in August.

Last edited:

Great falls or Spokane is possible. I've been watching the Wx in BLI. The Wx from Ketch to BLI is VFR tonight.
Oh OK. The OP was from Texas. That's where I got confused and why I suggested WY.

My impression is that he's going to Texas with it so you would only need to cross once.

If he is going to avoid Customs and HLS hassles he can't do it any other way than the coast.

climb out of KTN to 10,000 and on most days he will be VFR on top. direct BLI at 518 miles. It's a really easy do. South bound you get better winds and routing thru Canada airspace. Then its Bellingham, Boise, Salt Lake, 4 corners regional, Clovis, and Austin.

It's summer the in the northwest warm and wet.

always watch the weather channel and see the Pacific weather patterns.

If he is going to avoid Customs and HLS hassles he can't do it any other way than the coast.
I wouldn't be so afraid of Customs. It's a little bit of a PITA but I've never had any real problems and I've cleared customs coming from Canada many, many times. In various places too.

I wouldn't be so afraid of Customs. It's a little bit of a PITA but I've never had any real problems and I've cleared customs coming from Canada many, many times. In various places too.

You'er right customs isn't usually the problem. and HLS isn't either when you are on a IFR flight plan.

I don't know if the OP is IFR rated.

but Airnav.com suggests this route
http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/fuelroute/1/AKN-YAK-KTN-BLI-AOC-RIL-I06-EDC

That's an emmersome route.

VFR only at the moment. And original questions are for information gathering purposes only. No plans to make a purchase like this any time soon.

You'll also have winds at your back too, winds off the northern Pacific are usually 330 at 25 down the coast, just remember it is a long hop out of Ketch to BLI. and it is open water until you get to Sand Point in the Queen Charlottes, and then there is nothing but rocks and water to VanCouver Island at Port Hardy. Then you are pretty much done. If you make it to BLI without stopping in Canada you won;t do customs, just the HLS BS.

Just the HLS BS? You mean when they contact you in the air? What do they do, jump on the ATC freq? I didn't think any special contact was required to HLS just them through CBP, Customs.

And doing the Ketch to BLI route, no eAPIS notifications required?

Great falls or Spokane is possible. I've been watching the Wx in BLI. The Wx from Ketch to BLI is VFR tonight, but it's been ugly earlier in the week.

Edit: I'm not the original OP looking at a Cardinal. I'm planning a fun trip from VGT to Anchorage and back in August.

Do Cutbank instead of Great Falls, minimal BS. The CBP are happy to leave their shack in Sweetgrass and meet you and usually in a pleasant mood (They like getting out of the office). You'll likely be the only person near the airport. Taxi to a little square, he'll motion for you to get out, walk into a small room. He'll stamp your passport and tell you to have a good day. 15 minutes and you're back in the air. The weather on that side of the Rockies is usually better (though Spokane usually has good weather compared to the spots between KGEG and KCTB. Calgary (go to Springbank) is a nice stop and just north of CTB.

Last edited:
Just the HLS BS? You mean when they contact you in the air? What do they do, jump on the ATC freq? I didn't think any special contact was required to HLS just them through CBP, Customs.

And doing the Ketch to BLI route, no eAPIS notifications required?

HLS customs and the border patrol is 1 big co-operative effort at the border south of BC.

If the HLS helo see some thing coming south they don't like, they will pursue. If you are under ATC control the Helo pilot can contact VanCouver approach and find out what is going on.

When I read the title I thought this was about buying Alaska from Russia. :rofl:

Anyone else remember when Alaska became a state? :rofl:

The OP said this was a Cardinal. Even in an RG (60 gal usable), I wouldn't try a leg that long without a tailwind, and operating LOP. ROP, I do about 11.5 gph in cruise but a lot more during climbout. Realistically that's a 4.5 hour leg, not doable ROP with legal IFR reserves.

Hi,
My Anchorage-to-California flight (all VFR) is in progress. I crossed into Canada at Whitehorse a couple weeks ago, and crossed back into the US at Cut Bank a few days ago. I agree with others who said the border crossing procedure seems like a pain, but if you just research all the necessary things you need to do, and do them, it's nothing to worry about.

Flying *in* Canada is *almost* indistinguishable from flying in the states. There are a few minor differences: 1) Flight plans are required for all VFR flights. 2) They will activate your flight plan at your filed departure time automatically, assuming you have departed (rather than waiting for you to call and activate). 3) A "Class C" airspace there is more like a Class B here; you must get "cleared" to enter it. 4) Some (but not all) non-towered airports have what's called a "Mandatory Frequency", which is like an "almost tower"; there is someone on the radio who gives traffic advisories and weather updates, but you *must* call them up and announce your position, as you would at a normal non-towered airport, but you're addressing your transmissions to "Blahblah Radio" instead of "Blahblah Traffic", and someone on the ground will be acknowledging each transmission. It's like a Class-E-and-a-half. You know you're dealing with one of these when the chart has an "M" in front of the frequency, or they are listed in the Canada Supplement as "MF". When departing, these radio guys also like you to let them know when you are "leaving the zone" (meaning that 5-NM circle of Class E to the surface). 5) Restricted airspace is called Class F.

This has been my first trip through Canada, and it was GOBS of fun, and did not feel foreign at all.

--Kath

Back