Alaska Aviation

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
How hard has this summer Covid 19 been on the fishing lodges, hunting and all the other things GA Alaska depends on.

Several fishing lodges never opened. Some have catered to locals and the reduced number of visitors that are here. In any case those businesses invest a significant amount of money and effort ahead of their seasons and most have taken a very big hit. Hunting season is about to start and the State has imposed more strict conditions for visitors to enter so I expect hunting services will be no different. Tough year.

Bears, goats, and wolfs are thankful. :)

We were headed to Kotzebue for Labor Day weekend to see my son, his wife and their 4 foster children. Turns out that’s a no go. We can’t get into the Village without a quarantine plus COVID-19 tests. So we’re going to wait until Spring 2021. I can imagine most of the air service/air taxi, guides, lodges, etc. are hit really hard by this. My son and his family were in Homer 10 days ago to go halibut fishing with some friends and they indicated there was hardly anyone there besides the locals.

A good friend/former student flew sight seeing tours to MtMcKinley and glaciers last year. He was only guaranteed base minimum salary this year. Little opportunity for tips or extra trips, and would mostly be flying cargo to resident operations.
He stayed in the lower 48.

He found a job flying aerial survey. Hopes to return next year...

I saw a post advertising schooner trips for 30% off. Alaska residents only. I replied that I wished I lived in Alaska. They said I could do a 14 day quarantine or have a negative test within 72 hours before arriving in Alaska. For one thing, I don't think I'm eligible for a test since I'm not essential, have no known exposures, and no symptoms. But it seems strange that they would allow this, because you could be exposed during that 72 hours after testing, especially since most would be taking an airline to Alaska.

I saw a post advertising schooner trips for 30% off. Alaska residents only. I replied that I wished I lived in Alaska. They said I could do a 14 day quarantine or have a negative test within 72 hours before arriving in Alaska. For one thing, I don't think I'm eligible for a test since I'm not essential, have no known exposures, and no symptoms. But it seems strange that they would allow this, because you could be exposed during that 72 hours after testing, especially since most would be taking an airline to Alaska.

It's the best thing they can do without completely shutting down people coming in to the state. A test taken with 72 hours of departure is still better than almost any other state for preventing people with COVID coming in.

Unfortunately the troglodytes who refuse to wear masks have made sure that community spread is both alive and well here, so there's really no point in testing at the "gate" so to speak.

With regards to the state of the industry as a whole, it seems that with the exception of RAVN and the seasonal tourist companies, most are not considerably worse for wear after this year. In fact a lot of companies have taken the opportunity to expand.

You can test negative one day and catch it the next day.... what is needed is a test to prove who has already have the antibodies.

The Canadian government already allows boaters that can make the transit thru Canada to the US with no contact. (not many do)

I follow these folks. watch

[QUOTE="DavidWhite, post: 2959388, member: 9274]

Unfortunately the troglodytes who refuse to wear masks have made sure that community spread is both alive and well here, so there's really no point in testing at the "gate" so to speak.
.[/QUOTE]

You need to find a home in Portland or Seattle. Alaska doesn’t suit you.

You can test negative one day and catch it the next day.... what is needed is a test to prove who has already have the antibodies.
I thought they already had a test like that, but I also heard it wasn't that accurate. But that wouldn't help me, unless I was extremely asymptomatic. I haven't been sick since last summer.

I saw a post advertising schooner trips for 30% off. Alaska residents only.
The last time I came home after my 4 week stent at the mine I chartered a 1/2 day trip salmon fishing for the wife and I. Fishing was good catching no so good. I caught the only salmon that morning, weather was windy but nice. Wanted to do something nice for Tami, she enjoyed the 1/2 day on the boat. Cost us $200 each, not the best deal but a discount from regular prices.

I think I read tests for residents coming into AK was free and $250 for non-residents

I think I read tests for residents coming into AK was free and $250 for non-residents
I think that's recently changed. Ok I see. You can get a test but need to quarantine until you get results. The new system starts 8/11.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 20.50.13.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 4
[QUOTE="DavidWhite, post: 2959388, member: 9274]
You need to find a home in Portland or Seattle. Alaska doesn’t suit you.

If being a moron who doesn't care about their fellow man makes me an alaskan then I am definitely not an alaskan! BTW, if you were offended by that comment, it was definitely aimed at you!

As someone who works almost exclusively with at-risk people and who going by the statistics of COVID probably would not show symptoms if I got it, it would be nice to know that I'm not going to put my passengers at risk because I had to go get groceries and some moron who didn't want to wear a mask gave me COVID.

Last edited:
If your mask works? Wear it. If I don’t choose to wear one? My choice. Government isn’t my guardian. They can’t legislate health. I won’t lower myself to call others names because they don’t agree with me, but I won’t sit still to be called names either. Send me a PM. I’ll give you an address. Let’s talk about it face to face.

If your mask works? Wear it. If I don’t choose to wear one? My choice. Government isn’t my guardian. They can’t legislate health. I won’t lower myself to call others names because they don’t agree with me, but I won’t sit still to be called names either. Send me a PM. I’ll give you an address. Let’s talk about it face to face.
Yes, It would be good if the two of you took this aspect of the discussion elsewhere, or it will be the banhammer and another locked thread.

Back