Alaska 2020 Hiring potential

Cubpilot802

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cubpilot802
Hello All!
I am currently in the process of emailing, mailing, and calling operators in Alaska for next summer season of flying.
Ideally would like a job on floats or work for a company that I can move up to floats once gaining more experience.
Looking for operation recommendations or people’s opinion on where I might find the best job.
Currently at 1500TT, 100 ses, 150 tailwheel, 125 multi. CFI (single, multi, instrument) will also have my a&p ticket before the start of season.
Appreciate any help or guidance!

No doubt flying in Alaska would be cool, but why not go to the airlines?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I enjoy flying low, slow, short strips. Enjoy the world from 1000' rather than a flight level. I understand the big money goes along with the big airplanes, but at this point in my life money does buy happiness.

Because some people enjoy flying?

Same reason many on this group have planes even though it would make more sense to book airlines and get a Toyota Corolla for short range stuff.

Last edited:
but at this point in my life money...
Follow your gut. Of all the adages you may hear in life, the one that says if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life, is one of the few that are true. If I'd had followed the money (diesel mx) I would have never become an A&P with, in my opinion, better memories. As to Alaska, I don't know the pilot side but there are always openings. In the SW where I visit yearly, Lake and Penn and Iliamna Air Taxi are good outfits. They don't have floats but Lyle and Tim are good people to deal with. Good luck.

Hello All!
I am currently in the process of emailing, mailing, and calling operators in Alaska for next summer season of flying.
Ideally would like a job on floats or work for a company that I can move up to floats once gaining more experience.
Looking for operation recommendations or people’s opinion on where I might find the best job.
Currently at 1500TT, 100 ses, 150 tailwheel, 125 multi. CFI (single, multi, instrument) will also have my a&p ticket before the start of season.

Seaplanes Alaska and Island air would be the first two I’d try.
I also wouldn’t count on getting a bunch of float time off the batt, everyone want to fly floats and often those seats go to senior guys. AK ain’t cheap but most places give you some airline privileges, though summer is the busy season and doubt you’ll have much time off.

Those would be the main two, turbine time, time in a 208/DHC2/PC12 would help, the ones with multi EAS use planes need a ATP if you’re going to do that.

I have a big list (on one of my devices...I think) of everyone up there, but I’d think those two are going to be the easy answer for you.

Follow your gut. Of all the adages you may hear in life, the one that says if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life, is one of the few that are true.

For sure, I have always tried to follow that model. Flying in Alaska or bush flying has been something I have wanted to do sense I got my private pilot license seven years ago. If I don't go and at least try it, I will kick my self for the rest of my life. Thankful to some local mentors, I have been able to go the apprenticeship process for my A&P which has widen my scope of aviation knowledge even more.

Thanks for the help

Seaplanes Alaska and Island air would be the first two I’d try.
I also wouldn’t count on getting a bunch of float time off the batt, everyone want to fly floats and often those seats go to senior guys. AK ain’t cheap but most places give you some airline privileges, though summer is the busy season and doubt you’ll have much time off.

Those would be the main two, turbine time, time in a 208/DHC2/PC12 would help, the ones with multi EAS use planes need a ATP if you’re going to do that.

I have a big list (on one of my devices...I think) of everyone up there, but I’d think those two are going to be the easy answer for you.

Appreciate the help!
The list I have compiled so far includes:
Alaska seaplanes, Taquan Air, Talon Air, Andrews Airways, Island Air, K2/Rusts, Grant, Everts Air

My first choices include places operate floats exclusively (unlikely to get) to places that have wheels, followed by people with just wheels.
I have the hour requirement for the ATP. Not going to spring for the ATP-CTP and such until need or find an employer who will pay for it.

Appreciate the help!
The list I have compiled so far includes:
Alaska seaplanes, Taquan Air, Talon Air, Andrews Airways, Island Air, K2/Rusts, Grant, Everts Air

My first choices include places operate floats exclusively (unlikely to get) to places that have wheels, followed by people with just wheels.
I have the hour requirement for the ATP. Not going to spring for the ATP-CTP and such until need or find an employer who will pay for it.

Seaplanes is going more toward the Caravan, market with a few Beavers, C-206 on floats. Taquan Air when I worked for them had 30 float planes. Not sure were they are at today. Ketchikan weather can really be a PITA flying. Rain, rain, rain....

Good luck, hope you find a happy home...

K2 is a VERY cool operation, kind full time seasonal, I know they like a good amount of tailwheel and overall experience perhaps turbine too, but sure where they draw that line though.

After this season low time commercial pilots aren't in a great position.

It was a bad year for 135 operators and pilot TT and seaplane time is a hot topic.

Read the report about the 135 beaver crash, pilot had 5 hours seaplane total

He had 5 hours when he got hired, not 5 hours total, although he did have low time.

Island Air wont hire you with 1500TT, they need solid IFR pilots with a background in SPIFR - not a personal knock on you, it’s just a very challenging job in a very demanding environment. I think Seaplanes would be a good option, as you have plenty of opportunity to build experience in the 207 before you jump in the Caravan.

James - are you still in JNU??

There's always going to be that one guy somewhere who will hire you with low time, but those are not the norm. Most big operators in AK are going to want you to have around 2500TT, mim 500 TW, possibly even 1000, and min 500 or more SES.

Of course the more remote you're willing to go, the better your chances of landing a job.

Good luck.

@Cubpilot802 Did you get a job in AK?

Yes, been offered a job at Island Air Service. I am going to visit in a week or so to meet the DO/ CP and get to see there operation in person and get to ride along in as many flights as possible while I am there. Combined that with drug testing and all the hiring paperwork should be a great visit before a tentative start in April.

Yes, been offered a job at Island Air Service. I am going to visit in a week or so to meet the DO/ CP and get to see there operation in person and get to ride along in as many flights as possible while I am there. Combined that with drug testing and all the hiring paperwork should be a great visit before a tentative start in April.

Congrats. They seem like a really good gang from my brief impressions.

Nice work! I’m fulfilling my AK goals to fly this summer as well. If you make it to Homer this summer PM me! Kodiak would be awesome.

Last edited:
Nice work! I’m fulfilling my AK goals to fly this summer as well. If you make it to Homer this summer PM me! Kodak would be awesome.

Awesome, congrats! I have to catch the ferry in Homer to get to the island. What will you be flying in Homer?

Thanks. Cessna 206. I’ll be up there May-October.

Erik and Taj are good dudes over at Island Air Service. Not sure what Kodiak is like now, but 5 years ago when I flew there it was very much the “Wild Wild West”

AFAIK, they’re still doing Shelikof crossings in Cherokee Sixes which is sketchy af. Get one of these and velcro it to your seat. There’s hardly any landable beaches on Kodiak, so odds are if you lose an engine you are going swimming. Invest in at the very least some wool long johns and undershirts - wool insulates even if its wet. Cotton Kills as they say. Don’t go through mountain passes unless you can see salt water on the other side, and for the love of god don’t fly around in the clouds down low. If you must drive through the clouds, 6000’ will keep you clear of all the obstacles by 1,000’+

Most of all have fun and BE SAFE. Don’t let anyone bully you into going flying when you don’t want to. You’ll quickly learn to do stuff in an airplane most don’t think possible, and no one (especially in the lower 48) will believe your stories. Also, don’t bootleg the localizer course back into Kodiak at 100’. There’s a reason the minimums are high, and I found out what that reason was one day trying to get back in after Alaska Airlines went missed twice. It’s never a good day when you see the word MAERSK appear a few hundred yards ahead of you at 100 knots.

A lot of this stuff doesn’t make any sense to you probably, but in time, it will.

Again, BE SAFE. Being a pilot in Alaska is the most dangerous job in the country. Don’t get a mountain named after you.

Last edited:
Erik and Taj are good dudes over at Island Air Service. Not sure what Kodiak is like now, but 5 years ago when I flew there it was very much the “Wild Wild West”

AFAIK, they’re still doing Shelikof crossings in Cherokee Sixes which is sketchy af. Get one of these and velcro it to your seat. There’s hardly any landable beaches on Kodiak, so odds are if you lose an engine you are going swimming. Invest in at the very least some wool long johns and undershirts - wool insulates even if its wet. Cotton Kills as they say. Don’t go through mountain passes unless you can see salt water on the other side, and for the love of god don’t fly around in the clouds down low. If you must drive through the clouds, 6000’ will keep you clear of all the obstacles by 1,000’+

Most of all have fun and BE SAFE. Don’t let anyone bully you into going flying when you don’t want to. You’ll quickly learn to do stuff in an airplane most don’t think possible, and no one (especially in the lower 48) will believe your stories. Also, don’t bootleg the localizer course back into Kodiak at 100’. There’s a reason the minimums are high, and I found out what that reason was one day trying to get back in after Alaska Airlines went missed twice. It’s never a good day when you see the word MAERSK appear a few hundred yards ahead of you at 100 knots.

A lot of this stuff doesn’t make any sense to you probably, but in time, it will.

Again, BE SAFE. Being a pilot in Alaska is the most dangerous job in the country. Don’t get a mountain named after you.

Thanks for the words of wisdom! The biggest challenge of moving and flying from the lower 48 seems to be the weather differences. Being cautious and coming home safe is my priority

Alaska will always be hiring pilots until there’s no more airplanes left to wreck. LOL.

Goes with not having roads or any way to build them. Haha.

Back