Airwolf Remote Mount Oil Filter

hamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
hamer
Has anyone used one of these before? Photos of them installed seem to be scarce. Would be nice to see some installed photos if anyone has any experience.

Thanks,

Here's an old photo of the installation on my Aviat Husky:

IMG_0520.JPG

Curious, what type of a plane? Any reason you can't go with an F&M "pistol grip" filter? I, personally, prefer F&M because it doesn't have the hoses that the Airwolf has. They are a potential point of failure that always made me queasy.

Curious, what type of a plane? Any reason you can't go with an F&M "pistol grip" filter? I, personally, prefer F&M because it doesn't have the hoses that the Airwolf has. They are a potential point of failure that always made me queasy.

You have hoses connecting your oil cooler?

Are there any reported or systemic failures that you can point to?

Are there any reported or systemic failures that you can point to?

None that I'm aware of:

The FAA is replacing AD-95-26-13, issued December 29, 1995, with a new airworthiness directive (AD 2017-14-04). AD-95-26-13 came about after numerous incidents/accidents that were caused by “rupture or failure of the oil cooler hose assemblies”

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But really, there doesn't need to be. Why add potential failure points when there are options available that avoid them? That's just freakin' common sense.

Here's an old photo of the installation on my Aviat Husky:

View attachment 73263

Thanks for posting!

I would much rather have the case mounted versions, however the O-290-D stuffed in a C120 does not leave much space between the firewall and the motor. I'm not sure it'll fit. The measurements say yes, just barely, but hard to measure for the oil filter clearance.

IMG_9633.JPG

I would much rather have the case mounted versions, however the O-290-D stuffed in a C120 does not leave much space between the firewall and the motor. I'm not sure it'll fit. The measurements say yes, just barely, but hard to measure for the oil filter clearance.

Have you looked at the 90 degree filter options? If they fit on a super cub I’d think they’d fit in the space you have pictured. But maybe my eyes deceive me.

I had one and gave it away before I ever installed it. I prefer my oil filter to be attached to the engine in order to get engine preheat.

Take a look at Casper Labs or B&C 90* spin-on filter adapters. They look very similar and both offer a few spacers to assure the filter canister doesn't hit the engine mount.

F&M is not currently in business.
Tempest bought the STC and supports/builds them now.
FYI, For the F&M/Tempest oil filter adapters there are a couple threads (on BeechTalk/CPS/C172 forums) of oil loss due to failure of the new-ish style fiber gasket between the engine case and oil filter adapter.

Tempest bought the STC and supports/builds them now.
FYI, For the F&M/Tempest oil filter adapters there are a couple threads (on BeechTalk/CPS/C172 forums) of oil loss due to failure of the new-ish style fiber gasket between the engine case and oil filter adapter.
There was an AD on gaskets in that application. I can't put my finger on it right now.

With the quick drain plug and this adapter it makes an oil change a 10 minute job and zero mess.

Here is how I installed it on my commander.

1409ae7728af9759e963574fba45b5a9.jpg

Thanks for posting!

As I mentioned in the post, the photo is an old one, dating back to before I bought the plane. I have replaced all the aging engine compartment hoses, including those in that photo, with new firesleeved.

Back