Airventure transport from Commercials, GRB, ORD, MDW, MKE, etc.

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
On their Airventure site, EAA links to https://goriteway.com/ from MKE or Chicago
I'm wondering how well this works. Is it a pain in the neck to juggle? Buses run often enough, etc...?

I probably won't end up doing it this year, but I'm toying with the idea of flying commercial up this year. It's been a long time since I camped at Airventure and thought it might be fun to go for a few nights.. I'm thinking half a week or so....
I can get cheap flights, mostly into MKE and Chicago. Certainly not too far to rent a car and drive it from any of the options, but it seems a shame to pay for a car that'll be parked in the campground the entire time.
The car would be a nice backup as a secure place to store stuff, and nice if I decide I want to run into town, but I reckon I don't need it
but
I don't want to waste hours and hours schclepping stuff, waiting for the next bus, etc.... I won't be there the whole week and so I'd want to focus my available time to airplane stuff and not to ground transportation

I'd rent a car. We have friends that we RV with in Sleepy Hollow that fly in commercial and rent a car. It's great having that resource to efficiently make store runs, go in town to eat, plus it gives you the maximum flexibility to adjust your plans. We fly our own plane in and have camped many times in HBC without ready access to ground transport (before we switched to Sleepy Hollow) and life is much easier if you can swing it IMO. Not a showstopper mind you by any stretch, just easier and more convenient.

I've flown in commercial twice over the years. Once, I took the bus down from Appleton. That was easy peasy.

The other time I chatted it up with a guy sitting next to me that was heading to the show and had booked a rental car. I offered to give him directions if he gave me a ride.

I've certainly made runs out to MKE, GRB, and ATW to pick up people.

Back