AirVenture return home thread

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I'm home! Left Saturday about 12:30pm, the North 40 was so empty... didn't have any wait for departure, just rolled right onto the runway and went. Flew to Kansas City, KS for an overnight with family, then Sunday flew to Denver (Centennial) by way of Hays, KS. On arrival at Centennial, Stan and I went to Kelly airfield, home of the Black Forest Soaring Society, and he took me for my first glider ride, in an ASK-21. Got about 40 minutes of stick time, and even had lift!

Overnighted there, then home to Fort Worth this morning, by way of Elk City, Oklahoma. Long but wonderful trip! Put 19.8 hours on the Turbo 182!

Troy, sounds like you had an amazing Adventure! Is that your 182, or one you're renting from Marcair?

Troy might win the most circuitous path to eat Mexican in Oshkosh award!

:)

Home after two very long days of driving. Gotta say Ciara was well behaved, and Nintendo is the best thing for driving with kids... ever.

That was a long flight home. :)

We left on Sunday, just before the last airshow. 5.2 hours of flying time before we arrived back at Rockwall on the east side of the DFW Class B (F46) - a heckova lot less than Troy's walkabout voyage.

It was a great Oshkosh experience again this year!

Home after two very long days of driving. Gotta say Ciara was well behaved, and Nintendo is the best thing for driving with kids... ever.

Tim, I regret we didn't have more time to visit at SanGria's. I was trapped between Spike and Diana...:)

btw, you look a lot younger in person than you do on PoA. ;)

5.5 hrs via OSH-SBM-TAZ-STF-1R7 and 24.0 hrs via Amtrak OSH-HAZ (train station IDs)

I made it safely back to Atlanta yesterday. Departed Osh at 9:20 EST and arrived at my home field NW of Atlanta at about 2:00. Had to stop for fuel because Basler <apparently> didn't make it to homebuilt camping either Friday afternoon or Saturday.

The only difficulty I had was a line of building cumulus just South of Terra Haute. It was fairly easy to weave through when I got there, but looking back 10 minutes later, it had grown significantly.

I did get asked to standby while the folks in the CAF's SB2C Helldiver spoke with Flightwatch on their way back to Texas.

Jesse, Tommy and I got off something like 9:00 am Sunday morning. Had thought we'd have to stop for gas, as Basler had not yet fueled us, but then the truck showed up, so just in time is as good as it gets. Guys were really hustling, because they'd been precluded from driving on the wet grass. If we'd wanted to use our IFR slot, we'd have been hosed, but all OK ends OK.

On our way out, we listened in on Guard to an extended series of reports of a plane down in a corn field, "...looks like a Taylorcraft..."; not certain where it was, but last we heard, plane was intact and nothing about people, so presume it was a non-event.

At LNK, as we unloaded, Tristan taxied up with a student, so Tommy and I got gratuituos teensy-girl hugs. She looks great.

Jesse took Tomster and me to McD's for a quick bite of hungry-stop, then it was off the Dallas (actually, to F69, since ADS was closed for the weekend for runway work). 11.5k for cool, and at the end of the trip, back home. Really remarkable that we get to do this, and the speed of a Bonanza is enough to please me, a lot.

Again, thanks to all of you for the fun. Next year, we camp.

Departed yesterday morning about 9:30. Had to sit in line a l-o-n-g time waiting to take off on 27. A Mustang ahead of me finally told the controller that his engine was getting too hot, sitting there waiting.

Landed on the grass strip at Monticello, IA (KMXO) for an early lunch of a rice and chicken MRE. :D Hung out with the local airport bums for awhile. Cropdusters were very busy there, spraying corn.

Kirksville (KIRK) was fairly quiet. They still had their AirVenture discount of $0.25 off a gallon for pilots going to/coming back from Oshkosh.

My stupid Garmin weather antenna kept working sporadically on and off the entire trip. Garmin didn't want to talk with me about it at OSH....they just wanted me to go away so nobody else heard about the problems I was having.

As I got south of Whiteman AFB, the clouds started looking ominous ahead and magically, the XM weather came on! Lots of CB were building in front of me. I ended up deviating to the west and went in between cells and made it back to the farm okay...tired, hot and thirsty. Tom brought a cold Moosehead beer out to me as I was getting out of the airplane. :)

I flew 11.2 hours on this Oshkosh trip. Loved the time I spent with old and new friends at Oshkosh. :)

... Loved the time I spent with old and new friends at Oshkosh. :)

Hope I qualify in there.

You were a charming hostess, Diana.

That was a long flight home. :)

We left on Sunday, just before the last airshow. 5.2 hours of flying time before we arrived back at Rockwall on the east side of the DFW Class B (F46) - a heckova lot less than Troy's walkabout voyage.

It was a great Oshkosh experience again this year!

Only about half as much time as I logged! My 19.8 hours was total round trip from 52F-52F; your 5.2 was one way, right?

Tim, I regret we didn't have more time to visit at SanGria's. I was trapped between Spike and Diana...:)

btw, you look a lot younger in person than you do on PoA. ;)

5.5 hrs via OSH-SBM-TAZ-STF-1R7 and 24.0 hrs via Amtrak OSH-HAZ (train station IDs)

No joke there! His POA picture makes him look like he's a mid-50's guy. Not even close.

I tried to make it out Wednesday before the airshow but tearing down the camp took a bit longer than I'd planned for. I got the plane loaded and made it most of the way to the departure end of 27 by 2:30 but was instructed to park the plane until the airport re-opened. So I parked at Basler and Tom and I went to Hardee's for a late lunch. At 5:50 we were back in the plane listening to ATIS on my handheld which said the airport was closed until 6PM. At 6 the ATIS quit broadcasting anything for half an hour then announced "airport open" with marginal VMC (looked like IMC to me but I wasn't about to argue) at 6:30. A couple of airplanes had fired up and taxied out to the runway long before 6:30 (at least one went there before 6) but we were third in line and into the air shortly.

The weather between OSH and home (FCM near Minneapolis) was IMC with low clouds over half the route and I had filed two IFR flight plans, one from Appleton and one from Wisconsin Rapids (KISW 60nm west of OSH) with plans to either land at ATW and depart IFR from there or pick up a clearance over ISW in the air. It wasn't certain that I could get to ISW above the clouds (later proved to have been no problem) so I headed north to ATW once I cleared the OSH area and got on top of the broken-scattered layer. Unfortunately ATW went IMC about that time but a call to ATW tower and subsequently Green Bay approach yielded an IFR clearance to home. I came through a little bit of rain at the WI/MN border but the rest of the flight over the low clouds at 6000 was uneventful.

We departed OSH on Sunday, mid-day, in the general direction of Iowa City -- a bit West of course since XM was painting a line along our direct route to Texas. It was a fairly long taxi, but a short wait for the pink shirts to wave us off.

Mary was flying this leg, with me working the charts (Skycharts rock!), radios, and weather. The weather was typical summer Midwest, with popcorn storms building in place, with very little movement. Easy to fly around -- made safer with on-board weather.

A grueling 4.75 hours later, we landed at Ft. Smith, AR. A 15 knot headwind slowed progress considerably, making us glad for Atlas's 84-gallon tnks.

Until we topped them off, of course. THAT was breath-taking! :yikes:

There, we decided not to return to Port A, but to divert to Austin for a couple of days of "recovery" on 6th Street -- the epicenter of live music. I drew that 3-hour leg, enjoying perfect weather after dodging one enormous line of storms South of Ft. Smith. Here we have spent a delightful two days, enjoying dry feet, clean sheets, and the pizza-oven-like 104-degree heat.

We head home later today. It was great to see everyone!

No problems for me at all getting home on Friday mid-morning. The worst part was the taxi across the muddy and rutted North 40 to get to the departure end of 27 for the takeoff roll. :sigh: Mud on the tires and wheel pants really added that extra special "outdoors-y" accent complimenting the grass and bugs stuck to the rest of the airplane.

Photo0299.jpg

Dodging around a few of these were the only weather issues I had on a completely visual flight at 7K. :D Gotta love that after a really nice week hanging out with friends!

We got back Sunday at about 4:30 after a three hour drive. Did lunch at Friar Tuck's before we left, and they didn't have many customers.

The drive back in the Yukon to pick up the repaired airplane in North Platte, NE wasn't nearly as entertaining as y'all's stories. ;)

Did get the usual I-80 photo of the ass-end of a big rig, and snapped a photo of a couple of those radioactive sarcophogii (ha... that's not a real word) and noticed that they name each of them a girl's name...

Would post, but after a week of just grabbing the only black backpack and taking off from Camp in Scholler, I forgot that my wife has an identical black backpack with a name tag on top so we don't mix them up... and I grabbed hers this morning. She has boring nursing paperwork in hers, whereas mine has my MacBook Pro... heh heh...

The drive back in the Yukon to pick up the repaired airplane in North Platte, NE wasn't nearly as entertaining as y'all's stories. ;)

Did get the usual I-80 photo of the ass-end of a big rig, and snapped a photo of a couple of those radioactive sarcophogii (ha... that's not a real word) and noticed that they name each of them a girl's name...

Would post, but after a week of just grabbing the only black backpack and taking off from Camp in Scholler, I forgot that my wife has an identical black backpack with a name tag on top so we don't mix them up... and I grabbed hers this morning. She has boring nursing paperwork in hers, whereas mine has my MacBook Pro... heh heh...

Sorry I missed getting to meet you at either OSH or APA! Maybe next time...

We got back Sunday at about 4:30 after a three hour drive. Did lunch at Friar Tuck's before we left, and they didn't have many customers.

I'll bet they are all taking a much deserved collective breather now after being so crazy busy with all of us for over a week. :yikes: They do a good job keeping it all together during the North 40 invasion. :yes:

Lessee......RV blew a tire on the way back home. Couldn't keep the thing running at every stopsign/stoplight I came to due to some idle issue. Transponder became intermittant on the ride back to MI and died somewhere over South Bend. Remote gyro also has taken a dirt nap rendering my fancy-dansy HSI into a worse than craptastic non-slaved DG. Left my shoes at home and am now stuck wearing sneakers that smell like the T-6/T-34 flight line at OSH. The ultimate indignity is that I am overnighting in Burn in Hell, IL. Air Venture 2011....priceless. :)

My host family came out to FLD to see the Lancair and each one of them (Mom, Dad, 9yr old son and 4yr old son) all took turns sitting in it.

One of the guys who worked the booth with me all week was itching for a ride so I took him up for two quick laps of the pattern with low approaches on each. Tower was closing up about half through the second pattern.

Landed, said our goodbyes, then my passenger jumped in for the 704nm non-stop VFR flight from FLD to Lincoln Park, NJ (N07), via KFFX and KMFD.

Climbed VFR to 9500 for the lake crossing, then picked up flight following. We had a light tailwind, giving us around 212kts over the ground.

I called Cleveland Flight Watch to get updated weather for the destination. Ceilings were varying between 4k, 5k and 9k at various points along the route. With a 10pm EDT arrival time, it meant that we might be in and out of clouds so I picked up a pop-up IFR clearance via direct SAX direct. This was eventually amended to FJC SBJ direct, and then 20 secs later, amended to direct STW direct.

The arrival was fine, in and out of the clouds and light to moderate precip, but still a very smooth ride. I canceled IFR a few miles from the field with great visibility and smooth conditions.

Entering the left downwind for rwy 19, things started getting dodgy on the base to final turn. The airspeed was moving around a lot, but more importantly, the aircraft was yawing dramatically and uncomfortably. I'd only ever been in conditions like this once before (on my first solo in this airplane, in fact, so I remember it well). I went around, formulated a plan to try nearby Caldwell (CDW) with its longer and wider runways, but figured I'd take one more look at Lincoln Park, from a higher altitude. Again, downwind was nice, but turning base, I felt the same weather again, so I bugged out immediately.

Calling Caldwell tower, they informed me that the winds were starting to pick up and that they were aware of a level 4 system NW of the field, heading this way. I made a straight in for rwy 22 with the winds at 310 @11 gust 19. Those were the surface winds in the shadow of the trees, I imagine, because the winds on the straight-in were ugly. I carried extra speed, knowing I had room to float. The flare was a little high and I found myself a few feet off the ground, nose in the landing position, and rapidly heading towards an energy deficit. I added a reasonable dose of power to arrest the descent, but not quite level out. When I gauged that I was really close to the ground, I cut the power and flared just a little more, and it ended up working out just right.

I was absolutely spent. 3 1/2hr enroute with 2 tricky VFR patterns at night in bumpy conditions had me at the edge of my limit. It didn't help that I departed FLD feeling thirsty. I got to the FBO and drank 6 cups of water in the space of about 3 minutes.

The storm was out of nowhere...the TAFs weren't calling for it when I left, and there was no mention of it from Flight Watch an hour before landing.

Overall, though, it was a great first visit to Air Venture. I will seriously consider flying in to OSH itself next time now that I see what a short taxi it is from the rwy to the homebuilt area!

I had the pleasure of meeting Kent at our booth. He took the sim for a spin with our live ATC service and appeared to have quite a good time.

Got out Sat about 10. That was later than planned because I had to sump a lot of water out of my right tank. Never had water in this plane in 6 years. I believe it came from Basler not the rain.
Anyway went VFR to Terre Haute. To complicate my day my MX20 MFD screen went totally white so no NEXRAD. Checked weather on ground and decided to fly around the back side of the frontal weather. Flew IFR at 12,000' due south to Muscle Shoals and then due east back to Atlanta. Extra miles but stayed out of any bad stuff. Changed from a visual approach to GPS when a rain shower parked over my home field on arrival.

I had a great first Airventure. It was fun getting together with so many other PoAers.

Sorry I missed getting to meet you at either OSH or APA! Maybe next time...

Hmmm, you guys were standing about 10 feet apart at that yummy POA dinner in Scholler. Then again, you didn't even recognize me at first...so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :wink2:

Hmmm, you guys were standing about 10 feet apart at that yummy POA dinner in Scholler. Then again, you didn't even recognize me at first...so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :wink2:

You're Adam Fast, right? ;)

(That was brilliant by the way. With Adam standing next to you my brain went into full confusion lockdown when you said that. Adam either didn't hear it or didn't react which made it work even better.)

Back