Airventure Parking Rant

I don't even try to get on the trams at intermediate stops. Too many jackhole's that cut in line and rush for open seats like their life depended on it. I wish the tram conductors would call that behavior out. They have slightly better line control/management at the main tram corrals. In my experience far fewer people seem to disembark at the intermediate stops.

Heh... This reminds me of an incident I witnessed on a tram a few years ago. After people were loaded and the conductor had given the driver the OK, a teenager ran up and jumped on. Conductor yelled "STOP! STOP! Now god dammit, if you're gonna kill yourself, you're not gonna do it on my watch! GET OFF!" I found it somewhat humorous, but if they all did that it'd probably help...

Yep. Especially with so many 'unofficial' jackwagons using the same routes on their scooters and golf carts that operate on their own rules (it's their world, we just live in it).

EAA got a LOT of complaints about the golf carts in the past, and about a dozen or so years ago in response to that they added the new cart paths and the central no-vehicles area that you needed the extra-super-duper-special permit to get into.

For the first few years, those paths were at the back of all the booths - All the tents on either side were closed off on the cart path side. The whole idea was to separate vehicles (including carts and trams) from pedestrians, so they didn't want anything attracting pedestrians.

Unfortunately, it really didn't work - People walk *everywhere* at Airventure, whether they're supposed to or not, so the cart paths were still clogged with people. So, now the cart paths are pretty much the same as everywhere else on the grounds and there's exhibitors everywhere. At least that central area is still there, so it's slightly better - But I think EAA has probably done about all they can about the carts.

They could just not allow carts... heck, if they allow carts, they should allow bicycles. I'd much rather ride my bicycle around then wait for a tram or bus.

They could just not allow carts... heck, if they allow carts, they should allow bicycles. I'd much rather ride my bicycle around then wait for a tram or bus.

The carts have many legitimate uses. I used to get one for a couple of hours to cart audio equipment to the forms so we could do Podapalooza. I camp with a bunch of EAA Video volunteers, who get them so that they can put cameras on cool airplanes and bring neat experiences to the rest of the world (though I think they're mainly used in places where people aren't walking anyway).

And allowing anyone to use bikes in the main show grounds? It'd look worse than this:

I got a lot of complaints about a lady who I think was running the Flight Line in Vintage most of the time. I personally heard her be very rude to people for no reason. At times, it seemed nobody working the Flight Line could do anything right.

She yelled at one guy, "Are you just going to leave your landing light on all day?" He smiled and asked what difference it made to her! Now if she'd said, "Your master is still on", it might have gone over better.

At one point she came off the line on her scooter and you could tell she was mad. She started yelling at people who had tents out past the tail of their airplanes. She asked them if they understood that they didn't want to turn any planes away and they were parking planes at the ends of the rows as the OP mentioned. That's okay, except in this case, it was on one of the few rows in Vintage where the airplanes were tail to tail. I waited until she was alone and walked over and thanked her for the hard work she was doing. When she smiled, I pointed out that there was no room to get a plane down this row anyway. She gave me a look, shook her head, and rode off!

This made me laugh, as I know exactly who you're talking about. I made the grave mistake of waving her over to explain where I wanted to park to be near my friends that were already there (with open spots next to them). You'd think I just ripped all her fingernails out with the response I got... It wouldn't be a tragedy if she wasn't allowed to volunteer anymore.

Huh. I’ve only volunteered flightline. Walk up, you see the calendar and shifts, write your name, and show up. It definitely seems to be a face to face thing though to know where to go and who to talk to. There is a volunteer recruiting hut by the red barn in Scholler and they would definitely match your interests to needs as best as they can.
That's the North end flightline. Vintage flightline we are a bit more organized, still, you can decide when to work or not. We run from 6AM to 8PM (longer on the night airshows).
Other than a few key positions, there's not even a shift sign up. We do have a mandatory training session we hold ever day at 9AM and 1PM (you only need to attend one a year).

I got a lot of complaints about a lady who I think was running the Flight Line in Vintage most of the time. I personally heard her be very rude to people for no reason. At times, it seemed nobody working the Flight Line could do anything right.
Describe where it was that you encountered her and describe her to me and I will route the information to the chairman who is responsible for problems with volunteers.
It's not our policy to be rude to anybody (even when others are rude to us).

Describe where it was that you encountered her and describe her to me and I will route the information to the chairman who is responsible for problems with volunteers.
It's not our policy to be rude to anybody (even when others are rude to us).
I’m a volunteer at EAA, so I don’t want to stir anything up! I would never say her name on her vest was Suzifer!

Is there a secret to getting a rv rental or a camp scholler decent location ? I like the idea... But all the rv rentals are taken and don't want to end up a million miles away in camp scholler... I'm gonna try to just camp around the plane. Hopefully I can figure something out for the future.

Is there a secret to getting a rv rental or a camp scholler decent location ? I like the idea... But all the rv rentals are taken and don't want to end up a million miles away in camp scholler... I'm gonna try to just camp around the plane. Hopefully I can figure something out for the future.

There are RVs available right now on RVShare.com that you can get delivered. The secret to a good Scholler location is to arrive early or late, or have the RV set up early or late for you.

Back