AirVenture Oshkosh 2007 Plans & Meetups

are you still going to be in said house during Airventure? Got extra rooms??

Rooms??? Heck if it's got a real shower I'll camp out on the livingroom floor!

She said "Staying in," not "owning."

Sure would be nice, though... It's called "7th heaven" and is on the taxiway that goes east to Basler Turbo Conversions. There's a hangar big enough for three (small) planes and a five-bedroom house. Very nice setup... Can you imagine having an airpark-type setup with 4 paved runways up to 8000', an ILS, and The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration once a year? Wow.

He's got the house full for the show, though... He hosts a bunch of Sonex builders from all over.

yea thats something I could get used to Kent.

Sure would be nice, though... It's called "7th heaven" and is on the taxiway that goes east to Basler Turbo Conversions. There's a hangar big enough for three (small) planes and a five-bedroom house. Very nice setup... Can you imagine having an airpark-type setup with 4 paved runways up to 8000', an ILS, and The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration once a year? Wow.

Can see why he calls it 7th heaven...

are you still going to be in said house during Airventure? Got extra rooms??

Not sure where I'll be... but their house is gonna be full. A bunch of Austrailians staying there, and I don't know who else. They rent out the space.

Hey Diana how about leaving a white board outside your tent? Anyone finding your place can leave their name and camp site etc. Whatcha thank :dunno:

Dave

Hey Diana how about leaving a white board outside your tent? Anyone finding your place can leave their name and camp site etc. Whatcha thank :dunno:
Sounds good Dave. You got room to bring one? :)

Sounds good Dave. You got room to bring one? :)
I'll probably drive up, since I don't want to tie up a rental plane for a week for such a short hop. So I probably have room, if you're interested. I'm not certain yet which days I'll be there. Leslie and I just looked at the schedule, and found stuff of interest Monday through Sunday! But I haven't arranged any lodging yet. (Family in the area has led me to put it off until the last minute! :))

Grant

I`ll be driving up from southern Indiana. What is the best way to go through Chicago? :hairraise: Last year I took 90/94 going up and 294 coming back. Both ways was pretty scary.

Grant

I`ll be driving up from southern Indiana. What is the best way to go through Chicago? :hairraise: Last year I took 90/94 going up and 294 coming back. Both ways was pretty scary.

I'll be comming up through Indanaplois too on Sunday, after making a stop at Dayton to visit my little sis and new neice. I'd love to know the best route too, but I'm afraid the best way will be to go WAY around Chicago. :rofl:

Grant

Use the 294 Tri-State tollway, although the part north of O'Hare will be undergoing perpetual rebuilding and may have lane closures. Just avoid rush hours...(7-10AM 3-7PM ;) ) If you don't have an iPass, you'll pay a few $1+ tolls, though.

Grant

Let me redirect that question to Leslie (who used to drive up from Indianapolis) and Kent.

Use the 294 Tri-State tollway, although the part north of O'Hare will be undergoing perpetual rebuilding and may have lane closures. Just avoid rush hours...(7-10AM 3-7PM ;) ) If you don't have an iPass, you'll pay a few $1+ tolls, though.

Thanks Mike. That answers a question I had. I should be getting to the Chicago area right around afternoon rush hour on Monday. Going 294 will also cut out Gary, IN which I've heard isn't such a nice town. Here is the route I got online. Any other tweaks to suggest, anyone?

That link doesn't work. Try this http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#q3=Oshkosh%2C%20WI&q2=RHINEBECK%2C%20NY&q1=Providence%2C%20RI&mvt=m&trf=0&lon=-80.441895&lat=40.797178&mag=13

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. That answers a question I had. I should be getting to the Chicago area right around afternoon rush hour on Monday. Going 294 will also cut out Gary, IN which I've heard isn't such a nice town. Here is the route I got online. Any other tweaks to suggest, anyone?

That link doesn't work. Try this [URL="http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#q3=Oshkosh%2C%20WI&q2=RHINEBECK%2C%20NY&q1=Providence%2C%20RI&mvt=m&trf=0&lon=-80.441895&lat=40.797178&mag=13"]http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#q3=Oshkosh%2C%20WI&q2=RHINEBECK%2C%20NY&q1=Providence%2C%20RI&mvt=m&trf=0&lon=-80.441895&lat=40.797178&mag=13[/URL]

I think you should stop in Williamsport and pick me up! Save me the 13 hr drive... :D

That link doesn't work. Try this http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#q3=Oshkosh%2C%20WI&q2=RHINEBECK%2C%20NY&q1=Providence%2C%20RI&mvt=m&trf=0&lon=-80.441895&lat=40.797178&mag=13

You can't avoid Gary. You can just fly over it. Trust me. there's no way to avoid the smell. If you consider tooling down a limited access highway scary then you won't want to come that way at all, go by the UP north of the Lake Michigan, :D or take the Badger ferry from Ludington to Manitowoc.

Last edited:
Missa, if I had the room I'd offer. But we'll be in a Wrangler with the back seat out to get all the camping gear in :D .

Mike, I looked into taking the Badger. It won't save me much time, maybe an hour or two, and will cost twice as much as driving.

Missa, if I had the room I'd offer. But we'll be in a Wrangler with the back seat out to get all the camping gear in :D .

Well at lest wave as you drive by Williamsport... ;) Wait, I probally will not be there when you go by anyway. But if along the way you see a Chick in a black convertable with the back seat full of camping gear and & rubber duckie on the dash... honk and wave. :D (There can't be too many people meeting that description on that route)

Missa

Mike, I looked into taking the Badger. It won't save me much time, maybe an hour or two, and will cost twice as much as driving.

Yeahbut, you said you wanted to avoid Gary. You can spend that 4 hours sleeping or watching movies instead of dealing with Gary and Chicaguh. You won't hit any traffic on either side of the lake there, either.

I've taken the Badger a few times while cruising post Oshkosh, as far as Toronto one year. It's pretty neat.

There is (was?) a new high speed ferry to the south around Milwaukee too.

Let me redirect that question to Leslie (who used to drive up from Indianapolis) and Kent.

My normal route between Indy and home was I-65 to I 80/94, then keep on I-80 west to our place (we're not too far from the JOT VOR). I always found the part where you exit I-65 and get on 80/94 to be the toughest part traffic-wise; not too many other east-west options if your goal is to go around Chicago rather than through it, and it's one of the main routes for long-haul truck traffic cross-country, so congestion will be there. If you take this route, prepare to sit on that stretch of road for a while - gas up the car, have bottled water, find a good radio staion and hang out for a spell.

For longer Chicago avoidance, I have departed Indianapolis straight west on I-74 a couple of times heading toward Danville, then connected with I-57 to get up north. You'll avoid the traffic around Gary and the bottom of the lake, and connect with I-294 North as you get to it. tended to add about 45 min on to my trip, but it was worth it to not have to sit in the 80/94 parking lot (which was undergoing major construction at that time; some of that's gone now).

I won't be able to head up to Oshkosh until Wednesday at the earliest, but Grant, I don't know - perhaps you could arrange some sort of 'POA rest stop' for those traveling up via car from the east and south - there may be a need to relax a bit after navigating that stretch of road, and you'll all be going up on 294 at that point anyway....

Leslie

Last year coming home 294, I got in the ipass lanes and couldn`t get over. Then realized that was not bad, I didn`t really want to give the mayor any more money, so I just stayed in the ipass lane. I really thought I would get a ticket in the mail, maybe they are waiting for me this year.;)

Last year coming home 294, I got in the ipass lanes and couldn`t get over. Then realized that was not bad, I didn`t really want to give the mayor any more money, so I just stayed in the ipass lane. I really thought I would get a ticket in the mail, maybe they are waiting for me this year.;)
Actually, it goes to the state, not the city, but it's the same thing. Oh, and don't worry. They'll wait about three years, then send you a notice along with three years worth of fees for not paying on time and interest on the charges too! That's why they delay it! Heck, they even tried doing that to me and I HAVE I-Pass!

(And yes, three years is a bit of an exaggeration, but not much)

Don't lose any sleep.

I was a bit concerned about my IPass not working because I never saw the lights turn on, and mine is not one with a battery in it that beeps when it's read. I went to the web site and saw that they hadn't seen me on the tollway since March 2007.

So I called. The nice lady assured me that as long as I had my license plates registered I was fine.

What do I think? Like all things guvmint, guvmint contracts and IL tollway, the system hasn't worked for months so we get a free ride.

I was surprised this week when they had the IPass lanes closed with maintenance trucks working so we were all sent to the manual gate. It opened automagically for me. My transponder works.

The best way to go through Chicago, is to not go through Chicago. :yes:

From Indy, take I-74 west to Bloomington and pick up I-39 North (74 will dump you onto I-55 North at Bloomington, the 39 exit is one mile past where 74 splits back off). Take I-39 north into WI (it'll join up with 90 near Rockford and 94 near Madison). At Madison, take exit 135 to US 151 North. *After* you pass Waupun, take WI-26 North. (26 crosses 151 both before and after Waupun, you want the 2nd one. First will work, but you'll be a bit slower going through town.) 26 is 2-3 lane (passing lanes every few miles) but only goes through one small town. 26 will cross US 41 and you're there (the folks coming up 41 from Chicago will be exiting onto 26 to get into the show, so there'll be lots of signs and such.)

The above is around 50-60 miles farther than going up 65 through Chicago, but it's worth every last one of them. :yes:

As far as other routes: 74 to 57 takes you quite a bit out of the way and you don't really skip Chicago at all, just I-80/94. 57 also has no exit onto 294, so you're likely to end up on the Dan Ryan.

Whatever you do, you do NOT want to end up on the Dan Ryan! (94 from the 57 split up to downtown). It's all torn up and is a mess and you'll regret it. :eek:

If you want to chance Chicago (and those folks coming from the East, ie not going through Indy, almost have to), take 294. You'll hit 5 tolls between Indiana and Wisconsin, but it's only 3 miles longer than taking 94 straight through downtown and you won't have to worry about the Dan Ryan. Also, the best time of day to do this is between 8 and 10 PM. The afternoon rush hour should be pretty much done by 8, but at 10 they set up the overnight road work and mess things all back up again.

Also, note that none of the above (except skipping the entire Chicago area via 74/39/151) works 100% of the time. It's best to either use Google Maps on your cell phone with Traffic turned on, or listen to AM 780 for their "traffic and weather together on the 8's" :)08, :18, :28 etc.) and see what's really going on. They go through traffic on the radio REALLY FAST (that's what ORD controllers do after they retire :rofl:), so here's the ones you really need to listen for:

* The route around on 294 will be covered by just "80/94" and "the Tri-State."
* The route through town is "80/94," "the (Bishop) Ford," "the (Dan) Ryan," "the Kennedy" (only "out to Montrose" or "to the split"), and "the Edens."

They won't give you a time going around, but unless there's at least 2 backups northbound it's probably running fairly smooth. The through-town route, you'll want 15 minutes or less for the Ford and the Ryan (hah), 20 or less for the Kennedy and the Edens.

Hopefully this will show you that the best way to get through/around Chicago is to fly. :yes:

I once took an entire convoy of buses and trucks through a coin toll for 25 cents by accident. Still no ticket...

The best way to go through Chicago, is to not go through Chicago. :yes:

From Indy, take I-74 west to Bloomington and pick up I-39 North (74 will dump you onto I-55 North at Bloomington, the 39 exit is one mile past where 74 splits back off). Take I-39 north into WI (it'll join up with 90 near Rockford and 94 near Madison). At Madison, take exit 135 to US 151 North. *After* you pass Waupun, take WI-26 North. (26 crosses 151 both before and after Waupun, you want the 2nd one. First will work, but you'll be a bit slower going through town.) 26 is 2-3 lane (passing lanes every few miles) but only goes through one small town. 26 will cross US 41 and you're there (the folks coming up 41 from Chicago will be exiting onto 26 to get into the show, so there'll be lots of signs and such.)

The above is around 50-60 miles farther than going up 65 through Chicago, but it's worth every last one of them. :yes:

As far as other routes: 74 to 57 takes you quite a bit out of the way and you don't really skip Chicago at all, just I-80/94. 57 also has no exit onto 294, so you're likely to end up on the Dan Ryan.

Whatever you do, you do NOT want to end up on the Dan Ryan! (94 from the 57 split up to downtown). It's all torn up and is a mess and you'll regret it. :eek:

If you want to chance Chicago (and those folks coming from the East, ie not going through Indy, almost have to), take 294. You'll hit 5 tolls between Indiana and Wisconsin, but it's only 3 miles longer than taking 94 straight through downtown and you won't have to worry about the Dan Ryan. Also, the best time of day to do this is between 8 and 10 PM. The afternoon rush hour should be pretty much done by 8, but at 10 they set up the overnight road work and mess things all back up again.

Also, note that none of the above (except skipping the entire Chicago area via 74/39/151) works 100% of the time. It's best to either use Google Maps on your cell phone with Traffic turned on, or listen to AM 780 for their "traffic and weather together on the 8's" :)08, :18, :28 etc.) and see what's really going on. They go through traffic on the radio REALLY FAST (that's what ORD controllers do after they retire :rofl:), so here's the ones you really need to listen for:

* The route around on 294 will be covered by just "80/94" and "the Tri-State."
* The route through town is "80/94," "the (Bishop) Ford," "the (Dan) Ryan," "the Kennedy" (only "out to Montrose" or "to the split"), and "the Edens."

They won't give you a time going around, but unless there's at least 2 backups northbound it's probably running fairly smooth. The through-town route, you'll want 15 minutes or less for the Ford and the Ryan (hah), 20 or less for the Kennedy and the Edens.

Hopefully this will show you that the best way to get through/around Chicago is to fly. :yes:
And this, folks, is why I wanted Kent's input! :yes::yes::yes:

I may live here, but I live on the south-west side and drive to the northwest side. I don't go through what y'all are going to be traversing!

And yes, he's got the "traffic on the eights" down perfect! Remember, AM 780! If you're flying over, tune in your ADF and listen to what you're missing! :goofy::goofy:

Thanks, Kent!:drink:

Thank You Kent :blowingkisses:

This is definitely the PLAN 74/39/151. It may be an hour longer drive, but sure worth it.

Missa
If you are taking this route pm me for my cell # maybe we can meet for lunch.

Linda

I'm driving up Thursday night for dinner at The Whitehouse in Lake Buttes de Mortes, (all are welcome to join the Babes for fabulous food, just let me know) then attending the show Friday and Saturday. I'm staying at a cabin in Fremont. Is there some one place and time that everyone here is planning to meet?

If you do the 151/hwy 26 thing make sure you DO NOT SPPED through the town of Rosendale (on hwy26). That place is a notorious speed trap. They even sell t-shirts commemorating that fact at one of the gas station in town. I have never been busted there, but I have seen plenty of people pulled over, and have had friends pay the speed tax there.

Pete

If you do the 151/hwy 26 thing make sure you DO NOT SPPED through the town of Rosendale (on hwy26). That place is a notorious speed trap. They even sell t-shirts commemorating that fact at one of the gas station in town. I have never been busted there, but I have seen plenty of people pulled over, and have had friends pay the speed tax there.

Pete

Ditto for Racine County on Rt 41, north of Kenosha until Milwaukee. They deny that they only pull over non-Wisconsin plates, but they then they only pull over non-Wisconsin plates.

If you come up a large group of cars doing EXACTLY 55, join them. Ask me how I know this.

They have enough patrols out there that you see 3-4 different stops on each side when you go through.

Pete

What Pete said. There's almost 100% certainty that there's an officer sitting in the restaurant parking lot on the south side of town, the gas station parking lot at the intersection, or on the side of the road north of town. Of course, the town is all of about 6 blocks long, so you won't be delayed too much. :no:

Ditto for Racine County on Rt 41, north of Kenosha until Milwaukee. They deny that they only pull over non-Wisconsin plates, but they then they only pull over non-Wisconsin plates.

If you come up a large group of cars doing EXACTLY 55, join them. Ask me how I know this.

They have enough patrols out there that you see 3-4 different stops on each side when you go through.

It's actually I-94. There'll probably be a state trooper or two hiding on the east frontage road right after you cross the state line. After that, you're good until you hit Milwaukee County. Ya better not be doing more than 70 when ya cross the county line. Speed limit is 65 until just past the Ryan Rd. exit (#322), then it's down to 55. Make sure you're in one of the two left lanes to get on I-894, as I-94 is closed downtown at the Marquette Interchange. 894 dumps you right on to 45 and then 41 anyway, so that's how you should go. You just can't miss the exit and have a good backup any more. There'll probably be more MKE county sheriff's deputies on 894, but once you cross over 94 again you're probably in the clear.

Be aware that 41 is under construction pretty much from FLD to OSH and is down to 1 lane in each direction. Expect delays near the merge.

Back