Airventure 2019 GAC - timing questions

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I've tagged this question onto a couple of other threads, but I'll give it its own:

Looking at flying in and camping. Schedule is kind of unstable right now, for several reasons.

Right now, looks like a Tuesday AM arrival, followed by a Thur departure.

Any idea on the chances of getting a spot in GA camping?

If GAC is full, any alternatives? (I'm looking at FDL as a plan B.)

If we could change the dates +/- 1 day would that make a difference?

Obviously I'm trying to avoid the scenario where we get there and there's no room. I'll be a first timer there, so this is a bit of leap into the unknown.

A Wednesday arrival would probably be better. Some of the early arrivals will be leaving by then. Thursday would be significantly better, btw.

Usually fills up Tuesday, though if you get a spot its going to be a loooong way away. Get a good spot Wednesday from all the folks that have left. Can't imagine doing Oshkosh in 2 days, but to each his own.

Yes, Tuesday can be worse than Monday, Wednesday & later it should be better. These are just generalizations.

I’d mind your schedule & go when you can.

Thanks.

There are 3 of us trying to work out a single-plane option. Schedules depend on our own personal calendars as well as the availability of the plane. I'll poke around and see if a Wed-Fri will work out.

Agree with the others. Sun/Mon/Tues will be tough (Mon/Tues worse than early Sun). Weds is usually a good option, one I've used several times and never had trouble. Are you VAC eligible?

Agree with the others. Sun/Mon/Tues will be tough (Mon/Tues worse than early Sun). Weds is usually a good option, one I've used several times and never had trouble. Are you VAC eligible?
Not VAC, 80’s vintage 182. I’ll check if Wed/Thur/Fri will work. If not, we take our chances and maybe end up in FDL instead.

I've not seen the field this year, though my first advance man in vintage is parked there now. They reclaimed more space in the south 40 for GA. How much of it isn't underwater, I don't know. The EAA is working hard to get to the "no aircraft turned away by 2020." They put two camp stores down in the south end (something that the north 40 does not have at all I think) so people don't feel bad about being parked down there.

North 40 has had a camp store (tent actually) just West of the Shower facility. I assume it will be there this year too.

What happens if GAC is full and you land anyway - I'm assuming there is room in GA parking. If space opens up in GAC can you taxi over there?

The boundary between GAP and GAC is fluid. I don't think there's much chance that there is parking and not camping. You just get further away from the services.

The boundary between GAP and GAC is fluid. I don't think there's much chance that there is parking and not camping. You just get further away from the services.
Thanks - of all the things that there are to be concerned about, for some reason the thought of getting there and not getting a camping spot bothers me the most...and I'm not sure why, since there are all sorts of alternatives.

Back