Airspace question

MikeS

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MikeS
Please take a look at the attached picture and someone explain please the 40 over 21 in that white hashed section. Just what IS that white hashed section? Surely something to do with the approaches into Luke but can someone decipher this airspace for me? Thanks. I'm getting ready to fly over there. Anybody that knows the two airports have a preference between Goodyear and Glendale?

Attachments

• Airspace.jpg
    Airspace.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 105
Special air traffic areas- see the notes on the chart for the areas north and south of Luke AFB. It gives freqs. I don't know the airports.

It's a Special Air Traffic rule area. Just make sure you contact Luke Approach if you're between 2100 to 4000 in that hatched white area.

Similar to what they have in Eglin FL.

Thanks folks. I'll see if Airnav has the chart notes.

They are right on the chart. Even on Airnav

Special Air Traffic Rules, look up Luke AFB in Part 93, Subpart O. Frequency is 118.15

@MikeS, knowing what it is now, do you understand what the 40|21 signifies? Just checking if you still have that question or have figured it out on your own. It means the same thing here as anywhere else numbers appear in that format on a sectional.

Yes, thanks for checking. I just needed to look at a chart. Haven't seen white space with hashes in such a long time I had to ask - easier than looking at a chart but then had to look at a chart anyway. It's very clear. Just had to look. Lazy.

I can't read charts yet, but I did notice that it is actually -40/21 which i am guessing means under 40 and over 21? There is a similar one to the left with -70/30 also?

I can't read charts yet, but I did notice that it is actually -40/21 which i am guessing means under 40 and over 21? There is a similar one to the left with -70/30 also?
The minus sign means below but not including. So here it means "at and above 2,100' feet to but not including 4,000 feet."

The minus sign means there is overhanging airspace that begins there. In this case, if you look to the right, you will see the Class B airspace begins "at" 4,000'. And that there is no "special" airspace above it because it includes the top altitude without the minus sign.

Back