Airspace question

ocflyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ocflyer
Hi all,

So I flew in to Ohio from California yesterday (approx 10 hrs and 2 stops in a DA42 NG) for a week long stay with the family.

I'm thinking of flying VFR down to KLUK for a very expensive lunch.

Looking at the chart, I see something odd looking. It looks like the class delta (sfc-3000) extends into a segment of the bravo that is a 2,100 to 10,000 shelf.

What gives? The delta should stop on the west side where the bravo kicks down to 2,100.

Please advise, my brain may still be fried from yesterday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170702-191529.png
    Screenshot_20170702-191529.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
That does look very odd. So not just a fried brain. I'll be curious to hear the explanation. Is the notation for the top of the delta in that segment just missing?

Seems 14 CFR 71.9 says when two airspaces overlap, the more restrictive rules apply.

So from 2100-3000 in that sliver the delta has a ceiling of 2100.

Yes that is my assumption thus far as well, that it is surface to 2100 there, but I bet that is a source of confusion (pilot deviation?). In used to the LA bravo where they just cut off the deltas in that scenario.

My think is the Class B overrides the Class D. So in the Class D airspace and south of the river, that 2100 ft self is Class B above and Class D below 2100. The tower at LUK would let you know if you were headed out that way. Best to call for FF and a Class B clearance on taxi .

Just cruise at 2000 south of Kings Island and it's no issue.

I would interpret that to mean the delta only goes up to 2100 feet in that overlapping segment, but 3000 elsewhere. It's kind of "stepped."
Yep. That's all it means. Imagine how complicated the chart would be with a bunch of extra numbers added instead of relying on the "superior airspace" rule. That part of the chart is very cluttered. Sometimes chart real estate dictates what information is entered.

Side note: interestingly, ForeFlight's own Global Aeronautical Charts, which are decluttered, do depict the cutout with a 2100' Class D ceiling,

From JO 7400.11A:

AGL OH D Cincinnati, OH
Cincinnati Municipal Airport Lunken Field, OH
(lat. 39°06'12"N., long. 84°25'07"W.)
That airspace extending upward from the surface to and including 3,000 feet MSL within a 4.1-mile radius of the Cincinnati Municipal Airport Lunken Field, excluding that airspace within the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, KY, Class B airspace area. This Class D airspace area is effective during the specific dates and times established in advance by Notice to Airmen. The effective date and time will thereafter be continuously published in the Airport/Facility Directory.​

Thanks everyone, I flew in today for lunch and it was a great little airport. Got to see a Piaggio II takeoff and a G2 owned by Macy's land, and a nice lot of GA planes on the ramp.

Highly recommended for the lunch run, and coming in from the north east VFR was an easy shot to 21L.

From JO 7400.11A:

AGL OH D Cincinnati, OH
Cincinnati Municipal Airport Lunken Field, OH
(lat. 39°06'12"N., long. 84°25'07"W.)
That airspace extending upward from the surface to and including 3,000 feet MSL within a 4.1-mile radius of the Cincinnati Municipal Airport Lunken Field, excluding that airspace within the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, KY, Class B airspace area. This Class D airspace area is effective during the specific dates and times established in advance by Notice to Airmen. The effective date and time will thereafter be continuously published in the Airport/Facility Directory.​
LOL! So far, I haven't found a pilot who carries the FAA Order dealing with "Airspace Designations and Reporting Points" around with them ;). Fortunately there's the basic rule of airspace priority which tells us the same thing..

Thanks everyone, I flew in today for lunch and it was a great little airport. Got to see a Piaggio II takeoff and a G2 owned by Macy's land, and a nice lot of GA planes on the ramp.

Highly recommended for the lunch run, and coming in from the north east VFR was an easy shot to 21L.
I thought all the g2s were pretty much gone. I rarely see 3s anymore after the Jan 1 2016 noise rules.

LOL! So far, I haven't found a pilot who carries the FAA Order dealing with "Airspace Designations and Reporting Points" around with them ;). Fortunately there's the basic rule of airspace priority which tells us the same thing..

I simply posted the legal definition of the airspace and quoted my reference so others can use this resource. This gets a LOL? Where did I say or suggest that pilots have this document with them.

Other than the occasional confusion over runways 21L & 25, Sunken Lunken is a nice place to visit. Lunch on the Patio at the Sky Galley Restaurant is something I do for the $100 Hamburger Run. Short hop over to Sporty's as well.

Cheers

I simply posted the legal definition of the airspace and quoted my reference so others can use this resource. This gets a LOL? Where did I say or suggest that pilots have this document with them.
The LOL was because I saw the original question as being about how to read a chart. I'm not in any way questioning the value of the reference, I just found it funny in that context.

Back