Airspace Question - Warner Robbins AFB Area

Half Fast

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Half Fast
I'm considering a flight next month to visit the Air Force museum at Warner Robbins. I'm tentatively planning to fly into KPXE. When I look at the sectional (see below), I note rings and altitude limits similar to those for a Bravo airspace, except the rings are gray. Macon and Warner Robbins are both depicted as Deltas.

So what are the gray rings telling me? Are they related to the Macon National Defense Airspace TFR? I checked the airport NOTAMS for Macon and Warner Robbins and didn't see any explanation.

1695693270712.png

Also, if anyone has any suggestions or information about the area, please chime in.

TRSA
Look along the ring and you should see the label along with the altitude range. At some point on the ring - kinda hard to see.
:yeahthat:
Atlanta approach handles traffic in and out of Robins and Macon.

Half Fast, are you planning a day trip or overnight? If just a day trip the Macon airport is more convenient to the AF Museum. It’s a straight shot down the highway past the base to the museum. Perry is about a 30 minute drive.

The Taco Shed is ~50 yards south from the museum entrance and is a good spot for lunch.

:yeahthat:
Atlanta approach handles traffic in and out of Robins and Macon.

Half Fast, are you planning a day trip or overnight? If just a day trip the Macon airport is more convenient to the AF Museum. It’s a straight shot down the highway past the base to the museum. Perry is about a 30 minute drive.

The Taco Shed is ~50 yards south from the museum entrance and is a good spot for lunch.

Probably we’ll stay a couple of days. Depends on the whims of VFR weather as much as anything else.

Have you visited the museum?

Just say “Negative Stage III” on your initial call up and they’ll leave you alone.:biggrin:
Yep ... you don't have to participate but in busy airspace it can be helpful. Some refer to it as "optional class C" like ...

Last edited:
I visited the museum MANY years ago. It was nice, but, at the time it was a couple of hours.

What you trimmed off the screen shot at the top of the outer ring it says "MACON TRSA". Participation in TRSA is completely optional for VFR pilots. It is Class E airspace.

Not many TRSAs left. The nearest one to me (Palm Springs) is 400 miles away.

Just say “Negative Stage III” on your initial call up and they’ll leave you alone.:biggrin:
I did that at Palm Springs once. It confused the Controller. When I said it she terminated me. I said I still want Flight Following. It was a bit before she got back me. I assume someone explained it to her.

Yeah, it's a bit of a fugitive from the airspace class renaming as single letters too. Pretty good indication you are a geezer if you remember flying into TCA's and ARSA's. Got my license one year before the change so I'm just barely a geezer.

Yeah, it's a bit of a fugitive from the airspace class renaming as single letters too. Pretty good indication you are a geezer if you remember flying into TCA's and ARSA's. Got my license one year before the change so I'm just barely a geezer.
Howza bout before ARSA' were invented, kid?

I did that at Palm Springs once. It confused the Controller. When I said it she terminated me. I said I still want Flight Following. It was a bit before she got back me. I assume someone explained it to her.
confuses Me, too…why would you not want radar services on flight following?

According to Google, there are 30 TRSAs in the U.S. Not sure if that's "not many" or "a lot", though it is a lot more than I thought.

I fly through one on a reasonably regular basis, the one for LTS, Altus AFB.

Probably we’ll stay a couple of days. Depends on the whims of VFR weather as much as anything else.

Have you visited the museum?
I haven’t been to the museum in the last year or two but have gone a handful of times. I thought it was really well done and while the collection isn’t as big as the Dayton Museum, it is worth seeing. They have 4 large hangars with planes of different eras in each and a large outdoor collection you can see on Google maps.

The Andersonville Historic Site (Civil War prison) is about an hour away. I haven’t been personally but have heard good things about it.

Macon has a lot of musical history sites. The Allman Brothers Band house/museum is there and Little Richards childhood home.

If you happen to be a fan of the show Impractical Jokers, Sal is performing in Macon on Oct 20th. I saw Joe up there and he was hilarious, I’d bet Sal is too.

I’d go to MCN over PXE. Just an easier drive as far as traffic and getting a rental would probably be easier.

I’ve been to the museum a couple dozen times since 1989. It’s an excellent museum with some rare aircraft displays. Wish they’d get the theater open again though.

Back