Airspace bust enforcement?

Mark D

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Crash812
I was recently flying around and would tune in the closest airport just to be aware of other air traffic and to sometimes report my position if I cross an approach path to one of those airports even though I was outside their airspace.
Overheard on the radio: " VFR traffic squawking 1200, north of HWY XXX near XXX, at X,XXX ft, please say call sign." This was repeated two more times with various position reports. From the description of the location the tower was calling out it did not appear that VFR aircraft was inside anyone's airspace, but close to it.
Maybe I tuned in after the VFR plane busted airspace.
Regardless, if that plane never talks to ATC and lands at an non-towered airport, how can ATC find out who they are to take action against them?
This was something myself and my aviation knowledgeable passenger debated for a while, but to no conclusion.

Well if they are ADSB there’s a few websites

Otherwise try to get someone at the FBO to snitch on them, or maybe try to send a local cop out to get the N number, guess if you bought fuel right after landing there would be the N number you entered as well as the name on your card if they really wanted to go there.

:dunno:

Yeah, they’re gonna find you. It was you right? You in a whole world of hurt!

Nahhhhh just kiddin ya. ;)

could just be something they are unsure about, that could end with a quick callout

i was flying legal in airspace (didn't need mode c at the time) & got called out, they were not happy about It (said i should have) & indicated that it was problematic on their end, even diverting a jet

Last edited:
30BB9984-6A8C-42E2-974C-FD3693B178C6.gif

Shut off the transponder ,make an approach to an unattended airport,then fly to another local airport,or simply don’t bust airspace.

I don't think there would be any way for the FAA to identify the aircraft unless it was Mode S...

Shut off the transponder ,make an approach to an unattended airport,then fly to another local airport,or simply don’t bust airspace.
You forgot the “turn transponder back on” before then flying to another airport.

but this one was not me.

“This one”. Confession is good for the soul.:lol::yes::yesnod:

Not via a vfr code. Maybe if there was evidence of who landed at that time, but it is unlikely to be conclusive. If they weren’t inside airspace, it is probably not worth reporting.

I don't think there would be any way for the FAA to identify the aircraft unless it was Mode S...
Mode S. ADS-B are the easy ones.
Otherwise, radar tracks to an airport and send or call someone local.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

I knew a controller for a busy Class B. He said they had their ways, often tracking the 1200 squawk then calling the FBO. It’s not a foolproof way, but it may get them to the pilot. Much of the time it was just a verbal warning to the pilot, depending on the severity of the incursion.

Depends highly on what airspace you bust. Bust P-40 or one of the other presidential ones, and you can be assured someone is tracking you to your point of landing. I've been on the receiving end of the "who's just tookoff/landed at your airport" from Homeland Security.

Depends highly on what airspace you bust. Bust P-40 or one of the other presidential ones, and you can be assured someone is tracking you to your point of landing. I've been on the receiving end of the "who's just tookoff/landed at your airport" from Homeland Security.
If I was an airport manager/owner, my standard answer would be, "I have no idea, I wasn't paying attention." If they asked me to check, I'd be really busy at the time.

Around Anchorage it’s not uncommon the have ATC advise pilots about wandering across airspace boundaries in our tight shared airspace. No enforcement, just human communication. If the suggestion is ignored it may escalate to enforcement but I’ve never seen anyone ignore the advise.

If I was an airport manager/owner, my standard answer would be, "I have no idea, I wasn't paying attention." If they asked me to check, I'd be really busy at the time.
Well, my answer was I wasn't on field (the airport manager number rings my cell). It turns out that they were already tracking the guy and they said they'd call back if he headed back my way. I called my wife and found out who it was, but never heard from the Homeland Security again. While HSA guys pretty much figured out he hadn't done anything wrong, that didn't stop the FAA enforcement juggernaught from giving him a hard time for several months.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back