Airports with Restaurants

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Is there a site or resource that will tell you which airports have restaurants on the field?

We're planning some big family trips this summer (and maybe Thanksgiving if the Winter weather gods cooperate) and I'm doing some fuel stop planning. Obviously, cheap fuel is a factor but having a restaurant on the field would be a real bonus.

I've been googling individual airports along our route looking for information but it seems scarce. I guess arranging a club car for a lunch in town is an option. So is a cooler with PB&Js...

Thoughts?

I have successfully used the AOPA app while in-flight to find places to eat. The app will let you see nearby airports, then just go to each airport's "services" listing and look for restaurants < .1 miles from the field (actual on-field restaurants will show as 0 miles, obviously). Or, you can search airports that you know are ahead, and look at their nearby restaurants in the same way.

If you're in Michigan, download the MDOT aviation app, which shows all airports with both food and/or lodging available on field. I wish other states would do this...

Last edited:
Maybe a sticky thread here with airports that have restaurants on the field (not close walks or nearby)?

For mid-west, you can taxi up to these. I've been to them in the past several months.

ALN
06C
SBM

1C5
KLNR

Both taxi-up.

Of course, you can see restaurants in ForeFlight under Details, with estimated distances. Ones on-field usually show as 0.1 miles. However no way to tell "how" to get them if not on-field.

MIE you can taxi up to as well.

1C5
KLNR

Both taxi-up.

Of course, you can see restaurants in ForeFlight under Details, with estimated distances. Ones on-field usually show as 0.1 miles. However no way to tell "how" to get them if not on-field.
Every year at Oshkosh I request a "Restaurant on Field" layer from the good people of ForeFlight, if you agree that this would be useful, please ask them as well (in person or via email.) A "Hotel on/near Field" ForeFlight layer would also be useful.

I think there should be a website that lists restaurants that have runways in their parking lots.

SUW
BRD
MSN
EAU
9WN2

Doing a map layer with Foreflight's new user data import would be easy, but with no real source of data other than trolling forums and googling, it'd be just a few months before a bunch of internet pilots were saying it was uselessly out of date! :D

Is there a site or resource that will tell you which airports have restaurants on the field?

We're planning some big family trips this summer (and maybe Thanksgiving if the Winter weather gods cooperate) and I'm doing some fuel stop planning. Obviously, cheap fuel is a factor but having a restaurant on the field would be a real bonus.

I've been googling individual airports along our route looking for information but it seems scarce. I guess arranging a club car for a lunch in town is an option. So is a cooler with PB&Js...

Thoughts?
Google Maps is the most comprehensive resource I've found. I just enter the complete identifier for the airport (including the "K" if it has one), and after it finds the airport, I click "Nearby," and then "Restaurants." The resulting map shows you where they are, and if I click on the location pointer for each one, I can get information about it, including hours and reviews. If I want to know how far it is to walk to it, I use the directions feature and click the walking icon.

SUW
BRD
MSN
EAU
9WN2

Doing a map layer with Foreflight's new user data import would be easy, but with no real source of data other than trolling forums and googling, it'd be just a few months before a bunch of internet pilots were saying it was uselessly out of date! :D

If a group of us were responsible for an area each or a state we could keep it up to date. Here's some I've been to in California:

SZP
CMA
L05
APV
CNO
AJO
VNY
SBP
2O8
MHV
WJF
HAF
0Q5
WLW
O69
PTV
O22
F70

Google Maps is the most comprehensive resource I've found. I just enter the complete identifier for the airport (including the "K" if it has one), and after it finds the airport, I click "Nearby," and then "Restaurants." The resulting map shows you where they are, and if I click on the location pointer for each one, I can get information about it, including hours and reviews. If I want to know how far it is to walk to it, I use the directions feature and click the walking icon.

^^^This^^^

I used a combination of Adventurepilot.com and Google Earth (same database as maps, but there's a sectional chart overlay for GE) to find stuff near airports on my route when bringing my new plane home from TN.

As far as I know the only airports in VT that have a restaurant or diner actually on the field are KRUT and B06 (Basin Harbor). KEFK (Newport) used to have one that was fairly popular, but word has it that it was closed some time ago. Not sure about KFSO (Franklin Co.) or KDDH (Bennington).

@labbadabba . . . How far are you from KOUN? That's a great place for AYCE breakfast and meeting up with other pilots.

If a group of us were responsible for an area each or a state we could keep it up to date. Here's some I've been to in California:

SZP
CMA
L05
APV
CNO
AJO
VNY
SBP
2O8
MHV
WJF
HAF
0Q5
WLW
O69
PTV
O22
F70
I tried the one at WLW and thought it was pretty mediocre. There's one at WVI that is pretty good, and the one at STS is excellent. There's one at MRY, but it was so-so the last couple of times I ate there.

@labbadabba . . . How far are you from KOUN? That's a great place for AYCE breakfast and meeting up with other pilots.

Probably around 2 hours via 172. Usually when I go down that way, I stop at 1K1 and eat at Stearman field. I'll try out the place in Norman next time I'm down that way. Thx

Back