Airports with landmarks visible

tinerj

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
tinerj
All airports look the same, more or less, especially when a plane is parked on the apron or rolling along a taxiway. But some do have interesting backgrounds. (See photo attached.)

What are some of the airports that have easily recognizable landmarks that would be visible in the background from ground level at the airport?

Attachments

• FirstFlight02.jpg
    FirstFlight02.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 98
My first ever flying job was out of First Flight airport.

Up and around the light house then land. All of 15 minutes flight time in a 172.

5 bucks an hour.....

All airports look the same, more or less, especially when a plane is parked on the apron or rolling along a taxiway. But some do have interesting backgrounds. (See photo attached.)

What are some of the airports that have easily recognizable landmarks that would be visible in the background from ground level at the airport?

St Louis Downtown CPS - Gateway Arch

Moffet Field and its dirigible hangars, where I learned to fly.

Las Vegas and the Strip comes to mind also.

we have a buffalo park at the end of the runway with giraffes, buffalo, and zebras.

St Louis Downtown CPS - Gateway Arch
I spent the better part of a week working with an installer there... That airport isn't my favorite place to drive to. My hotel was around the corner from the arch, though!

Attachments

• 06070168.JPG
    06070168.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 54
This is 10 minutes from Mom & Dad. Looking from the ramp towards the approach end of 14.

Attachments

• 20141115_093255.jpg
    20141115_093255.jpg
    843.9 KB · Views: 65
Those pesky small hills a couple of miles away from the runway.

photo.jpg

The gyrocopter pad on the lawn of the White House?

Somewhat hidden by the clouds, but it's Pikes Peak from KCOS.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2005-06-04 at 11-02-51.jpg
    2005-06-04 at 11-02-51.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 107
Not a cheap place for a GA airplane, but LAX has that restaurant that most people recognize:

lax-theme-building-tower-400x267.jpg

That looks familiar...

Attachments

• IMG_3791.JPG
    IMG_3791.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 30
Pearson Field in Vancouver WA (KVUO) is a landmark itself, one of the oldest operating airfields in the country, and part of the Vancouver National Historic Reserve.

The smaller hangar in this photo is believed to be the oldest wooden hangar still in use in the US. A teenage student pilot from a Danish family in Hood River lived in the back of this hangar and sold hamburgers at the airfield to finance his flying lessons ... Elrey B. Jeppesen. My AME's grandfather was one of Jepp's local instructor/employers, who got him into barnstorming.

IMG_0567.JPG

old_photo.jpg

In 1937 the first transpolar intercontinental flight landed here. The three-man Soviet crew was greeted by the then-C.O. of the US Army Vancouver Barracks, Gen. George C. Marshall. This may be the only monument to Soviets on U.S. soil:

IMG_0568.JPG

ant-25_pearson.jpg

Fort Vancouver (1829), one of the first permanent European settlements in the Northwest, is adjacent to the runway.

DSC04732.JPG

Guntersville, AL, nice little airport on the edge of a lake.

Gunt2-X2.jpg

It's almost like I was standing right in front of the FBO when I took my picture! :D

Pottstown, PA airport. Keep the pattern tight. Limerick power plant cooling towers.

index.php

Hulett (W43). You might not be the only one landing there.
Plane.jpg

Back