Airport "unspoken" Dress Code

I agree with Chip. If you're paying them, then they should be dressing up for you (which is probably what they're doing). Customer is king so I would wear what's practical. I imagine a suite would be quite the high-maintenance outfit so you could probably rule that one out. A sport coat and jeans sounds like a reasonable option, if you do want to dress it up, but on a day-to-day basis, there is no shame in jeans and a polo.

I trained at KAPA, which isn't super fancy but is certainly not hickville. The instructors typically wore slacks and polos and my attire was never something anyone noticed. I was told to dress up for my checkride since they liken it to an interview but I just wore dress pants and a sweater and it was fine.

Not wearing clothes with stains and tears is about all I expect out of a CFI.

Now if I were to go get checked out in a plane and the CFI wasn't dressed for the conditions, ie a guy wearing a full black suit and tight leather shoes in the middle of the summer for a flight in a 172... well I'd presume the CFI wasn't too bright and probably cares more about how he looks compared to how he flys.

Also, looking uncomfortable is never a good or professional look IMHO :yes:

Not with all that hostility. Take a chill pill. Relax Relate Release. You'll live longer.

And I was pointing out the exception to disprove "the rule". It ain't always so. Mr. Expert.
Your right. Ignore is much easier.

Our DPE's often show up for checkrides wearing a polo shirt, shorts and flip-flops.

I tell my students to dress how they feel comfortable, but don't overdo it! :D

When I flew out of KBED with East Coast Aero Club I would walk into the terminal in the suit I wore to work, go straight to the restroom, and change into jeans, polo or light sweater (weather dependent) and sneakers.

Just make sure your US$ are nice and crisp. And bring A LOT!

This. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Flight instructors may dress nicely to present a professional appearance, which tends to promote a more professional culture. But the clothes don't make them more effective, effectiveness does. :D

Flying small airplanes is hot/cold/dirty work. You're climbing on and under dirty airplanes and flying in cramped quarters. I'm not going to dress in my finest impress-you wear. Some people throw on coveralls for these jobs (which we refer to as flight suits for some reason) to keep from getting their clothes dirty. Most don't.

Wear whatever feels comfy for the conditions until your boss says otherwise.

When I learned to fly many decades ago, I typically wore what I wore to work (button down shirts, dress pants, shoes). My instructor pretty much the same thing but had a tie on (no break for the weather).

I can't imagine any issues with what the students wear unless it is so unwieldy that you can't safely operate the controls.

Just curious: is it legal to fly naked?

This is something I have always wondered about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can't imagine any issues with what the students wear unless it is so unwieldy that you can't safely operate the controls.

Or your chosen dress causes "bun burn."

I guess I shouldn't fly in a G string and pasties in summer. Oh well.

I wear a helmet, and epaulets when I step onto ANY airport whether I am flying or not. I just let the O2 mask hang to the side.

Does the TSA make you take the helmet off when you go through the nude scanner before jumping on the Southwest flight?

;)

Does the TSA make you take the helmet off when you go through the nude scanner before jumping on the Southwest flight?

;)

TSA won't let me anywhere near there.

I wear a helmet, and epaulets when I step onto ANY airport whether I am flying or not. I just let the O2 mask hang to the side.
I thought that was you ...

domes.jpg

Just curious: is it legal to fly naked?

This is something I have always wondered about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is no reg that says you cannot then you may. I'm not aware of one....but you'd have to ask EdFred. He's the expert on that one.

Show up to your next lesson in a tux.

If I'm paying for something and there is no clearly written or verbally addressed dress code I wear whatever I feel comfortable in. Often shorts and a T shirt, or jeans and a T shirt, or a sweatshirt if it decided to actually become winter in Florida. I hate dressing up. So if I'm doing stuff for myself I don't care if I look out of place, until someone else wants to pay me to fly my plane I'll dress how I want when flying my birdie to wherever it may be.

When the hell did khakis and a golf shirt become expensive clothes? :goofy:

I'm reminded of a CFI at my laid back part 61 flight school who would wear casual clothes when on the premises, but would have to change into a white shirt with epaulets and slacks before he could show up at the flight school down the street that was preparing airline pilots.

Flying personally or teaching at my flight club I wear jeans and a t-shirt. When I taught at my university we had to wear khakis and a school polo. I now get to wear the pilot monkey suit that mostly sucks. I would rather wear a polo.

I never cared what my students wore. Most wore cameo during most of the year. :D

I didn't read all the responses, so maybe it's been said, but I think what you wear depends on why you are getting trained to be a pilot.

If you are training for a pilot career, particularly with the airlines, then I would do as he instructors and dress nice and sharp. If you are just learning to fly because you have always wanted to and it's just for fun, then wear your regular weekend, comfortable clothes, whatever they may be. Old piston engine airplanes can and will make your clothes dirty on occasion.

I trained at a part 61 flying club school where they trained both career oriented students and guys like me that were just there for fun. All the instructors wore the jeans and sneakers type thing. No ties, no dork bars. If you are flying for fun, once you get your license you will find that those of us that frequent the airport outside of the FBO all dress casual hangar slob chic. If you're off to the airlines, you will want those leather shoes and tie.

The older I get, the more I'm into comfort and fashion be damned.

I don't need to attract a woman, I don't need a job, and I don't want to impress anyone. I just want to be comfortable.

On that note, I do like the gel soled tennis shoes. I bought a pair to go to OSH and they were like walking on air.

I did my ATP ride wearing shorts, sandals and a polo style shirt...... because it was freakin' hot outside..!!!

To really show your aviation mojo, show up wearing:

Brain Bucket with pressure-demand mask
Full Nomex flight suit and nomex long johns
nomex gloves
Jump boots
survival vest
mae west
back pack with seat pack reserve
American Optical "shades"
A-4 jacket with name tape and patches

To really show your aviation mojo, show up wearing:

Brain Bucket with pressure-demand mask