Airport Rules - Mobil Mechanics/Training

I can't run a commercial operation out of my hangar, but having someone work on my plane there should be fine

Some airports might only allow the owner to work on his own plane. In which case, you’d be “doing your own work” with the A&P “supervising” if anyone asks.

Update

The City started off by proposing a $5K yearly fee, then dropped it to $3700, then to $500. They've now agreed that $0 is the fee! They say they won't budge on the requirements for the mechanic to have insurance, and even though we may lose, we're still going to fight it. The argument we have is, the same insurance requirements are already in place for hangar renters, so the City is covered.

The City was very surprised at our turnout, approximately 30 pilots, and I think they thought because they went from $5K to $3700 before the meeting that we would be happy. They also thought they wouldn't get opposition when they lowered it again to $500. So, from our experience, show up in force to Airport Board meetings if you have an issue.

Hooray for the win with the City council!

I wonder how the addition of thousands of new residents will affect the airplane population once the Samsung plant is built...

The argument we have is, the same insurance requirements are already in place for hangar renters, so the City is covered.
FYI: just to give a perspective from my experiences, I could never dodge the insurance requirement for my freelance business. But I already had $1M coverage so it was mainly a moot issue but there were times where they wanted a higher aggregate based on the resident mx provider requirements. I was advised to counter on what their current 3rd party contractors (HVAC, electrical, garbage, etc) insurance requirements were and in most cases it was at the $1M level same as my insurance. Regardless, you may want to ask the underwriter of your renter policy to see if there any exemptions to the policy like maintenance, etc. or would your mechanic be covered under the policy once he leaves your hangar but is still on aircraft property. This was a common rebuttal I got from an airport board when discussing this part of the topic. Good luck with the rest.

Update

The City started off by proposing a $5K yearly fee, then dropped it to $3700, then to $500. They've now agreed that $0 is the fee! They say they won't budge on the requirements for the mechanic to have insurance, and even though we may lose, we're still going to fight it. The argument we have is, the same insurance requirements are already in place for hangar renters, so the City is covered.

The City was very surprised at our turnout, approximately 30 pilots, and I think they thought because they went from $5K to $3700 before the meeting that we would be happy. They also thought they wouldn't get opposition when they lowered it again to $500. So, from our experience, show up in force to Airport Board meetings if you have an issue.

The city is not covered for the work of the mechanic on your policy. When it comes to covering people, aircraft insurance doesn’t pay enough.

Back